Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

on January 20, 2010
The Percy Jackson & The Olympians "Ultimate Guide" is a book any fan of the series or any budding demigod should be without. Don't let the size of this book fool you. At 146 pages, it is filled to the brim with information on Camp Half-Blood, Greek mythology and the Percy Jackson book series.

The cover itself is fantastic - hardbound with hologram images and a magnetic clasp. On the surface, it looks almost like a journal or diary. Open the book and you'll find richly illustrated, glossy pages filled with tons of Percy Jackson/Greek Mythology info. The book is broken down into 8 sections as follows:

1 - Percy Jackson - all about Percy, including his family and his childhood
2 - Life at Camp - map of Camp Half Blood, 10 signs that you may be a half-blood, a cool full color photo/drawing of the cabins, introduction to the campers and other camp characters, and various camp info/trivia
3 - Gods & Spirits - Kronos, the Olympian Gods, minor gods and spirits
4 - Percy Jackson's Bestiary - the various beasts and monsters that Percy and his friends meet in the books
5 - The Labyrinth - the different encounters from the Labyrinth (nice reference for book 4)
6 - The Underworld - all about Hades and his domain
7 - The Storehouse of the Gods - the various artifacts and curiosities from the books
8 - Compendium - the mortals we meet in the books, other characters

I should also add that interspersed within this book are lots of color photographs or drawings of people, places, creatures and things. Also within this book are the various prophecies that lead to the quests that Percy and his friends go on in the 5 books. It's hard to pick a favorite part or section.

I bought this book for my son, who is a huge Percy Jackson fan. He has read all 5 books at least twice over and absolutely loves this book. I've actually "borrowed" the book a few times myself. The Bestiary, for example, is very helpful in providing visuals to some of the creatures from the books. I'm re-reading "The Titan's Curse" and just looked up a picture of the manticore in the guide. For those who are not as familiar with Greek mythology, this is a great orientation to the various gods, goddesses, titans, Greek stories/heroes, beasts and creatures that are covered or introduced in the 5 books. I should also add that this isn't an "all inclusive" guide or a who's who in Greek mythology. For that you will need an encyclopedia or a combination of books on the subject. However, if you want a handy, useful guide on the various characters, locations, beasts/monsters and objects from the 5 books, then you will want a copy of this book.

This is an excellent book for any fan of the Percy Jackson series (kids and adults alike). My son and I highly recommend it. It is a definite "must have" for any demigod/half-blood that can be enjoyed even long after you've finished reading the series.
11 comment| 185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2010
This book is intended as an companion to the "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" series. My 11-year-old son just began reading this series. He has only finished "The Lightning Thief," but plans to read more. I ordered this book for him because it looked "cool" and he LOVES it! He said that the story was sometimes confusing, and this book has helped him understand things better. We were at someone's house the other night. Their oldest daughter, who has read the entire series (also 11) LOVED this book, as well. It has really cool holographs on the cover. All four images change! There are also character cards on the inside front cover and the flap is magnetic. Very cool! I recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of the series, to anyone who plans to read all the books in the series, and to fans of fantasy. This series is really written for kids/youth.

The series is about the Greek gods in today's world. My son tells me that they live on top of the Empire State Building, but humans can't see the added floors. So it is modern day fiction, with a bit of Greek mythology mixed in. The contents of this book include:
Section1: Percy Jackson (Tells about Percy's life event, his parents, his friends, etc.) Describes The Furies and the Three Fates and the Prophecy.
Section2: Life at Camp (map of the half-blood camp, 10 signs you might be a half-blood, info on centaurs, pegasi, satyrs, cyclops and other characters living at the camp.)
Section3: Gods & Spirits ( The story of the kronos, Zeus and his brothers and children of the gods. Info on various gods, including Zeus, Poseidon, Ares, Aphtodite, Apollo, andmore.)
Section4: Percy Jackson's Bestiary (Describes various beasts/monsters such as Carniverous Sheep, Cerberus, Centaurs, Chimera, Cherry-Color Cows, Flesh-eating Horses, Hellhounds, Hippocampi, Hydra, Minotaur, Pit Scorpions, and MANY more).
Section5: The Labyrinth (A map of the labyrinth, including who/what you will encounter there. A history of Alcatraz.)
Section6: The Underworld (A map of the undersorld. A guided tour of the underworld by Hades' son.)
Section7: The Storehouse of the gods (List and explanation of artifacts and curiosities in the storehouse, such as basketball shoes - with wings, a celestial bronze knife, chariots, golden drachmas, javelins, invisibility cap, greek fire, yellow duffel bag, video shield, metal spider, mechanical statues, etc.)
Section8: Copendium (a list of mortals who see through the mist - they can see the gods - and a list/description of additional characters such as, Pan, Prometheus, Hyperion, Atlas, etc.)
55 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2010
Percy Jackson and the Olympians:The Ultimate Guide is great for those of us who enjoyed the books that Rick Riordan wrote.The Ultimate guide is great.It includes much of the info that we already knew and some that we didn 't!There was a little quiz to see what greek god or godess was your parent!I enjoyed every second that I read it!This great book included some cards about the main charaters!I enjoyed it and I hope you do too!
on January 2, 2012
While this book is certainly interesting, it doesn't provide any new information. It is essentially just a collection of descriptions on various characters and creatures from the series. There're also some portions of "Are you a demigod?" and "Who would your godly parent be?" that're fun enough for fans of the series. The pictures and maps of characters and locations are neat, too, but nothing extraordinary or largely revealing. This is probably because it was not written by Rick Riordan. For the fans of the series, I would look instead to The Demigod Files (A Percy Jackson and the Olympians Guide), which was written by the author of the series, contains a lot of the same information, AND has two short stories that are relevant to the main books, covering events that will become very important later, and very fun reads themselves. Otherwise, just borrow this book from your library and save yourself the money.
on November 19, 2014
This book look pretty neat and I'm sure my daughter will love it, but I expected this to be a big book and it's not. It's small, about the size of a small 5x7 frame. Other than the size, the pictures inside are great. I thought it camp with a poster or map, but I didn't see one. Bummer.
on March 31, 2010
My Dad bought me this book while I was finishing the fourth one (this Monday) I really like the cards and the information they give about the gods. Also I like the pictures in the book. They are pretty much spot on to how I pictured the characters. My favorites are Zeus and Poseidon. I really like the cover with the changing images.
The actual information provides a good reference while I am reading although, there are a lot of quotes from the book itself. Which isn't a bad thing. I am just talking about new content. The illustrations are very good. I recommend this book to any Percy Jackson fan. My friend has this book as well and she enjoys it to.
on April 20, 2013
But smaller than I thought it would be. My daughter loves this series and I was happy to get it for her for Christmas, she was tickled by the details in this guide and we will probably pick up the other ones as well.
on June 21, 2015
This book has cool mythology, like all of the monsters that Percy is fighting against in the books he's in. There are awesome little cards that come out of the book. The cards have like Percy's best friend Grover, Annabeth, Percy, etc.
on July 15, 2015
For my Rick Riordan-loving grandson, this was the perfect gift. He has read nearly all Rick Riordan's (Percy Jackson) books and loved this guide. It is laid out like a field guide, so that makes it fun to use.
on September 7, 2014
Percy Jackson fans will adore this. My son has read the series (and Riordan's other series) over and over. This was something new to add that he didn't have. He really enjoys looking through it from time to time.