Is Percy Jackson appropriate for a first grader?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2010 12:15:48 PM PST
My first grader son (he'll be 7 in June) is really into reading and is reading at probably a 3rd grade level or so. He has read the first 2 Harry Potters and just started the Chronicles of Narnia. He has recently gotten very interested in classic Greek myths, so the Percy Jackson series seems like a great fit. BUT I haven't read them myself and I'm worried there might be stuff in them that's not appropriate for a first grader. Any thoughts?

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 4:18:11 PM PST
Feverfan says:
If your son has already read the first two Harry Potters and Narnia, he should be fine with Percy. The only thing I would worry with a child this age would be not understanding the story, the myths are hard to keep up with, if he is a good reader and did well with these others then he should be good. The first book has a bit of violence and defiance (Percy is impertinent) but no more than Harry. I have read all of them except the last book, they are like the Potter series in that they get more complicated as they go on.

I work with first graders and some others I would recommend (for an advanced reader) are Diary of a Wimpy Kid (all of the kids love this) the 39 clues series, and any Magic Tree House book. The first two are more advanced and aimed at 10 and up but he may like them. The Magic Tree House is a great series and teaches a lot too. It is a bit easier and on a second grade or third grade level. Good luck!

Posted on Feb 14, 2010 4:18:53 PM PST
Nah, if he reads Narnia and Harry Potter then Percy Jackson won't offer him anything he hasn't seen before, and less of it - there's nothing to match the Witch killing Aslan, for instance.

Posted on Feb 15, 2010 10:44:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:51:29 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 16, 2010 5:54:07 AM PST
Dreamdog says:
Hmm, I think judging people one has never actually met based on a simple question might be part of what's wrong with society, too.

Perhaps the OP would like to get a general idea before she plunks down the money for this.

Please don't bash people who are just looking for a little information. It's not as if she dropped her child off at the adult bookstore with $20 and a bus pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2010 6:49:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:51:19 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 7, 2010 8:43:13 AM PDT
Carson Smith says:
I think it would be just fine. I have read all three of those series' and even though there is occasional violence your child should love them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2010 6:05:00 AM PDT
There would be no reason for these forums or any of the reading groups online if we all answered our own questions and all went to the library and read the books in question. These forums are for sharing the readers' opinions about the books. Sheesh! I hope your rudeness didn't scare the person off who asked the question.

Posted on May 30, 2010 6:53:57 PM PDT
B. R. Tooley says:
My daughter is almost in 5th grade and wanted to read this book. I decided to read it first and I am a bit leary to let her read it. She could handle the story but the Greek mythology characters might be over her head. I told her to wait until she was in 7th or 8th grade and she would be able to apperciate it more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2010 8:51:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:51:07 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 4:31:49 AM PDT
As an adult, I would have said I ddin't have a clue as to the understanding of Greek Mythology. As a special education resource teacher, I read the book with my 5th and 6th grade students. I was thrilled that I finally understood the relationships among the Greek gods. I read the previous posts and had to think about if my students would have understood the relationships without all of the extra things we did and studied, and I can't think of an honest answer. I pointed out the relationships, did web mapping the relationships, and had print outs of a break down of relationships and photos from the internet to help. We had a lot of fun with the first book, moved onto the second, and one of my students caught me out shopping last week and asked if we could read the third one when school starts back up. The kids love them and we hope to watch the movie to finish off the first book completely.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2010 8:41:04 AM PDT
absolutely! I just finished the series and I enjoyed it very much. My 5th grader recommended it to me. My husband is currently reading the 4th book and my 3rd grader is in the middle of the first book. It is definately age appropriate. If he enjoys Greek Mythology, this is a series I highly recommend!

Posted on Jul 3, 2010 10:05:20 PM PDT
Snow says:
I got on this post for the obvious reason - is this series appropriate for my 7 year old. After reading the posts, this may be a book we read together at bedtime. After my daughter read the first Harry Potter book, I insisted that we read the next ones together. They are great books and I personally love them. The writing is not too difficult for my daughter but I thought the subject matter a bit mature and violent and I want to be there to explain or answer any questions. We read up to Globlets of Fire and I told her that she couldn't go on until she is 5th grade (I said 5th but it will be sooner I am sure as she loves them). I love it that the series "grows" in age, but my daughter is reading them all at one time. With that said, trying to pre-read the books before I let my daughter reads them sounds sensible and it was mangeable when she was four. But there is no way I can keep up with her reading now. I got her eight Magic School Bus books (great books for 7 year olds) and she read them all in ONE weekend in between gymanstics, paino, ice skating, cheerleading and friends get togethers. I would have to slow down her reading, which I really don't want to. And in my opinion, that's why a forum like this is helpful to me. We ask our friends, family, co-workers, neighbors, so why not in a forum of avid readers and parents? Also, yes, I don't always want to read about fairies or what mystery Nancy Drew had just solved. I read my own books, and it is a good example to set when we are as much book lovers as herself.

As for books, I quite frankly find all those "trendy" series such as the Wimpy Kids, Ramona, Junie B Jones, 4th Grade Nothing series horrible. My daughter only reads them if she receives them as gifts from other people. She is not getting any of those from us. We, however, really enjoyed the Narnia series. Ture, there is violence with the wars and fighting scenes, but it has a clear sense of right and wrong. It didn't actually occur to me as violent or scary as Harry Potter. So I disagree with the earlier post regarding the violent witch killing scene in the Narnia series. In fact, throughout the entire series, we felt very tranquil and positive.

We try to stick to the classics or books that are well written. Don't get me wrong, she reads plenty of those fun, quick read fairy or Barbie books. But she is also always in the middle of reading something more substantial.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 3:01:26 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:50:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 4:05:53 PM PDT
more books! says:
Be vey careful when you move up to the young adult fiction section. You will definitely want to skim new authors/series for content. I bought a book for my daughter (12 at the time) that had a lovely description of oral se@ in the first chapter. Charming! I wish they rated books for content as they do movies and video games.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 4:14:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2010 4:17:55 PM PDT
more books! says:
Other series to consider include:
The warrior series by Erin Hunter
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
Guardian's of Ga'Hook by Kathryn Lasky
So You Want to be a Wizard by Duane

I had to laugh at those that say 'read the book before your child.' I can't keep up with my daughter! She read the entire Harry Potter series (for the first time) in 5 days! (Yes she did sleep.) Good luck with that!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 7:28:28 PM PDT
D. Tucker says:
Ramona IS a classic, in my opinion. I was a graduate student in Children's Literature. The Ramona Quimby series is not new. 1 of the chapters of RAMONA THE PEST (1968) is in The World Treasury of Children's Literature. Give them a chance - you and your daughter might like them. Beverly Cleary is a wonderful author. DEAR MR. HENSHAW (Newbery Medal), ELLEN TEBBITS, THE MOUSE AND THE MOTORCYCLE...so many good books!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 5:55:23 PM PDT
T F says:
climb off of your moral high horse lady. who are you to sit in judgement of her for soliciting opinions about a book? i feel sorry for people like you that go through life passing judgement on others from the comfort of their couch. stfu & get a life you unhappy, wretched person. i hope your bedside manner is better than what you've shown here...

Posted on Mar 28, 2011 8:10:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 29, 2011 4:50:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 9:09:13 PM PDT
No, he's right. You were rude. And your caustic, judgmental screed shut down what could have been a useful conversation for me. You owe me and everyone else who actually wanted to discuss the book, and not your personal parenting philosophy, an apolgy.

Posted on Mar 29, 2011 4:50:11 AM PDT
Katt978 says:
Alright, I sincerly apologize to all those offended by my comments.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa5975300)

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 29, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (Paperback - May 4, 2006)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (2,468)