*tiny spoiler

Published on November 23, 2011 by Fiendishly Bookish

3.0 out of 5 stars A Small Step for Rachel
Published on December 14, 2011 by Summeroz

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantically charged and brimming with action, Harrison delivers a satisfying installment in the Rachel Morgan Series, November 23, 2011
*tiny spoiler

At the end of Pale Demon, Trent sagely outlines to Rachel the danger of rendering herself helpless in the midst of so many enemies. Brought back from the brink of death after kicking Ku'Sox's butt, and nearly losing her aura by unwittingly carving out a new ley line that has devastating effects in the everafter, Rachel has some tough choices to make. Will she try to live her life without her demon enhanced abilities? Can she? Can she even go back to being an earth witch?

Harrison smartly leads with this thought in A Perfect Blood where Rachel will reap the consequences of her all decisions...good and bad, to finally realize that with great power, comes great responsibility. With one charmed Elven bracelet, Rachel chooses to effectively cut herself off from the scrutiny of the demon collective, ley lines...even Al thinks she's dead. After the fracas in San Francisco, even the Inderlander government has her declared dead. But has she chosen wisely?

When a deep-seated cell of HAPA (Humans Against Paranormals Association) embarks on a sinister quest to tinker with witch blood carrying the Rosewood syndrome and develop an unearthly weapon against all Inderlander species, Rachel and the gang are up against a foe that will stop at nothing to bring humans back on top of the food chain. While Rachel's past incursions have mostly been personal, HAPA's threat spells doom for all Inderlanders and if they succeed it would make the Elf/Demon war look like a walk in the park compared to the death and destruction that would reign down in the Hollows and everywhere else.

This pronounced intensity rages throughout A Perfect Blood, honing the point home that everything is at risk, and Rachel's final decision about her destiny will be the ultimate game changer. Even the schisms between the I.S. and F.I.B. have to be put to rights-inter-agency cooperation is absolutely essential in combating HAPA.

In order to make this happen, Harrison has introduced a few peripheral characters and situations that makes the mix more interesting, the mysterious vamp Felix (head of the IS) who creatively "borrows" Nina's body (reminiscent of Ghastek in Ilona Andrews' Kate Daniels series) and Wayde, Rachel's new were bodyguard makes an appearance, bringing the were contingent into battle by proxy. Even Glenn has a hidden agenda but is playing nice. And there is also the suspicion that HAPA might already be entrenched in either the I.S. or F.I.B...or both.

A Perfect Blood is also about integrating normality into Rachel's rather abnormal life. Harrison sets a few homey scenes in between battles that relieve some of the tension, and we get a few appearances of Ceri, her new daughter Ray, and Trent's daughter Lucy, a billiard scene with Wayde. Ivy and Jenks have even seemed to move out of their transitional phase...Ivy now in a relationship, and Jenks interestingly enough could be enamored by Belle (Sidereal's daughter, the fairy, from Black Magic Sanction). This only puts the focus more on Rachel as she tries to suss out her romantic life and its uncertain future.

Though fans might have been expecting a love connection with one particular character (Trent), instead we find a true burgeoning friendship developing between them that doesn't disappoint. To what end...we shall see. Rather, it more than whetted my appetite. Harrison is smokingly seductive, as she taunts us page after page with their interactions.

First Trent and Rachel must learn to be friends, learn to trust before anything else can happen and that means that Rachel has to forgive Trent and drop the animosity she has for him.

The newfound playfulness between Rachel and Trent is refreshing and intensely appealing. Rachel finds herself musing more and more about Trent (and his hair!), unable (or unwilling) to recognize what those feelings really mean. He continues to prove himself yet again as he protects her from Al, HAPA, and even herself. He is instrumental-absolutely key in helping Rachel grow into who she is (he admits it to her and Al). He even alludes that he is her S'han. Come on...he made her a ley line pinky ring...there is obviously more there than meets the eye, but Harrison is playing it close to the vest.

Besides Trent being absolutely fantastic in A Perfect Blood...sexy...single-minded, and just plain delicious-I honestly don't think Harrison is going to abandon this yummy loose end. There's too much invested in it and it seems pretty clear that Harrison is building a foundation...will Rachel end up taking the plunge? I would have definitely liked to have seen a repeat of that smoldering kiss in Pale Demon, but still readers will raise eyebrows over and over again at the delicious hints that Harrison scatters throughout the book. It's simply tantalizing, but looks like we'll have to wait to see what happens in Book #11.

Once again, Kim Harrison stole my sleep because I simply could not put it down. Was it worth it? Hell yeah. Harrison never disappoints and the quality of A Perfect Blood was consistent with all her previous novels, energetic and romantically charged. Hands down...I loved it.

A Fiendishly Bookish Review

3.0 out of 5 stars A Small Step for Rachel, December 14, 2011
Summeroz (sacramento, california) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book takes place about 5 months after Pale Demon. I truly loved Pale Demon I thought it reinvigorated the series really brought in some great ideas and plot lines. However I felt that A Perfect Blood was sort of a staging novel. Kim Harrison used it to set up a bunch of things to come in other books. Things like : Rachel's life once she truly accepts being a demon, a possible new relationship with Trent (what kind we don't know) and conflict (?) with old friends Ivy and Jenks.

However Rachel is still Rachel. Untrusting, leading with her gut not her head, lonely, and still getting beat up all the time (actually that is kind of amusing). I really want Rachel to grow out of the "woe is me" phase and doing things that just don't make any sense. She should group up a little (which admittedly she does a tiny tiny bit in this book)

I gave this book 3 stars b/c although there was some action and plot there really wasn't too much advancement it was all just set up for the future. The Hollows fans will still enjoy it but don't expect it to be as good as Pale Demon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of frustration to get through to the good stuff!, November 24, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that I was rather disenchanted with the repetition the series was taking on for the first 6 or 7 books. After reading Pale Demon, five stars in my opinion, I was completely reinvigorated and couldn't wait to see where A Perfect Blood was going to take us, and after reading it, I guess my answer is actually, not very far. After everything that went down in the 9th book, I was dying to see if Rachel and Trent would finally develop a friendship or how Al would react if he finds out Rachel is alive, or if she was going to embrace her powers and try to save Pierce, or even what the impact would be when Ivy acknowledged that they were on different paths, and to be fair, some of this is addressed, but the way it was addressed was either frustrating or somewhat anticlimactic and the book as a whole took a completely different direction.

Several months after defeating Kusox, Rachel is struggling to adjust with her new life as a demon. Declared deceased, she has no laws to protect her, she can't get her new car registered or her driver's license renewed, and she needs a body guard since she's wearing a bracelet that strips her of her demonic power. When Interlander Security recruits Rachel for an investigation that hits a little too close to home, Rachel takes it personally. A group called HAPA, Humans Against Paranormal Association, are trying to genetically create demons for their blood to spell the supernatural world into extinction and they're modeling Rachel to do this, targeting witches who are carriers of Rosewood Syndrome. Even though Rachel is nearly defenseless, not having her witch or demon powers, she stubbornly gets involved, forcing two agencies to work together, and learns some very hard lessons along the way.

My frustration with the series has always been the lack of growth in Rachel's character. I can honestly say that we finally see development here, but it's almost too little too late, and the story starts with Rachel reverting back to her impulsive, lascivious, and often downright stupid self. After saving her life and naming her his daughter's god mother in Pale Demon, Rachel intentionally avoids Trent for five months even though he's been trying to talk to her, she runs away from her bodyguard, and she makes herself an easy target for a group who'll stop at nothing to get demon blood, all the while waffling over the various men she finds attractive. The first two hundred pages are very slow and repetitive with limited action and much of the focus on the investigation, introducing new characters as well as enemies. Around the two hundred page mark, things really start to pick up and if I were rating this just on that, it would have been a five, but it really felt like half the book was filler. I'm finding that the amount of Trent in the book is directly correlated to my opinion because we see him grow and develop showing new sides to himself and unfortunately, he's firmly rooted towards the end and not evenly throughout. The ending is fantastic, and once again leaves you guessing on what will happen next, but after defeating the biggest baddest demon in the last book, it was difficult to accept the struggles against, dare I say, mere humans.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lost its mojo big time, March 29, 2012
I've been a big fan of this series and have read every installment. This will likely be my last. Here's why:

1) First and foremost, the main character has become completely annoying. There is no longer a hero here that we can cheer for or empathize with.
Rachel Morgan is a completely self-absorbed psychotic. She analyzes every word of dialogue, every thought, and how it relates to her feelings and self-centered morality. One might expect some growth after all these chapters and books, and self-discovery, but no. RM is clearly neurotic and her
mood is mirrored by her companions as well.

2) This leaves us with a slow and uninteresting plot. The book crawls, nothing much advances, and there are numerous contrived scenes and situations.
With the overblown emotional symphony and the randomness of the plot, which seems to advance without merit, I could barely finish this book.

3) Besides the vapid plot, all the supporting characters have become almost as weak as the main character. All have become utterly inept and unable to
perform as one would expect of experienced, powerful, urban fantasy operatives. Wow, it was almost like the keystone kops, except with more tears. I really didn't enjoy reading about a bunch of incompetent, bungling players.

For some of the 5 star reviews above, I have to really wonder which book they were reading. I have been a long standing fan of this series, but
this book, its plot and its characters all deserve the dustbin.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to her usual standards. . . ., February 24, 2012
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, Book 10) (Hardcover)
I have been a huge fan of every book in this series and eagerly awaited the release of this one. I'm still trying to decide if the editing was really bad or the story just too slow. There were several instances where things were explained to the reader multiple times as if we hadn't just read about it two chapters earlier. And way, way, way too many "bunny-earred kiss-kisses". Rachel spent two thirds of the book wishing she had her magic back, but the anticipated ass-kicking she wanted to do never happened. She was just as helpless after she got her magic back and still had to be rescued! Every other book, I wonder how Rachel is going to save the day and she always pulls something crazy and surprising out of thin air. This one, there was no anticipation, just a lot of strange unfinished dialogue that didn't go anywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fine addition to a series the author manages to keep fresh, November 25, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The coven has recognized that Rachel Morgan is a demon. Al and those in the ever-after believe she's dead and she's wearing a spelled bracelet made by Trent that prevents her from doing ley line magic and keeps her out of the demon collective. But all is not well. As far as the government is concerned Rachel is dead, so she can't even get a driver's license or her car registered in her name. And it turns out that since demons don't live in this reality, there aren't any laws protecting their rights. Both David and Trent are working on that for her.

When leaving the DMV office after a great deal of aggravation, she's called into a back office where Nina, a live vampire, channels an unnamed dead vampire Rachel encountered once before; the head of the I.S. west of the Mississippi we met in the last book. They'll make sure she gets her driver's license if she'll go to a murder scene with them. It turns out someone had twisted a demon curse to transform a witch into a very malformed demon that died a horrible death and the I.S. thought perhaps it had been Rachel's doing. It turns out this is the third body found. Against their wishes, Rachel responds to their blackmail attempts by calling in the FIB since this falls under their jurisdiction. It's the first time the two agencies work together.

HAPA is a group that hates anything not human and a sub group has escalated into doing magic themselves to more effectively combat their enemies; and they need Rachel's blood to create their own demons to fight the battles for them.

Rachel is so worried about protecting her friends that she fears having the bracelet removed, which is crippling her. Al believes she's dead; he's going to be rather angry if he finds out she's alive, and Rachel fears being made to live full time in the ever-after.

Trent and Rachel's relationship is slowly building. Very slowly. Don't expect a lot of progress to be made on that front, although considering how she's always felt about the "drug lord/murderer," it really wouldn't make sense for her to suddenly open her heart to him. I assume that will eventually happen. In the meantime it's somewhat fun to see the one step forward and two steps back dance she's taking, and we're still learning about Trent.

She still makes some stupid choices, but more often than not she's actually thinking before she leaps. We do see some growth on her part. And she's realizing that Jenks and Ivy are moving on with their lives and she needs to as well.

What I really love about this series is that Rachel is constantly growing and the direction in the series gets adjusted every few books to match Rachel's growth and what's important to her. It keeps the series fresh. We also get issues that appear to be either black or white until you begin to see the other side. This also adds to Rachel's growth while she balances new understanding with her own rigid morals.

After reading the first two chapters I realized I didn't remember enough of the last book, especially that last 20% or so. I couldn't recall that she'd died, why Al thinks she's dead, or getting the silver bracelet which most think was put on her by the coven. Since all of this is so important to the story I went back and reread A Pale Demon before going further in this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably done with Rachel Morgan now, March 16, 2012
SPOILERS AHEAD

I've always read these books for the other characters, because I've always found Rachel to be ungodly whiny. But I'm jumping off the Morgan train here.

This book was a wreck. The editor should be sent to the Ever After to learn some lessons with Al, because the word "sour" appears in one form or another more than (by my grossly inaccurate count) 300 times in this book. It would have been an effective modifier used once or twice. It was just annoying after being over-used in the first chapter.

The story was just so-so. We get a new group of villains that we've never heard of before with a vague leader (if any). We get some silly vampire being controlled by another much older vampire that we don't know and don't really meet. As far as I can remember, he doesn't refer back to a story we might have heard in an older book. We get Trent, some. We get Al, some. We get no Newt. We get no Pierce. We get Ceri, some. And we get a pool table re-felted.

We get a metric ton of Rachel whining about her bad decision making skills and poor life choices. You know, I read books because I'm surrounded by people who make terrible, idiotic choices all day every day. I very often make bad choices myself. I won't tolerate Rachel's stupid choices any more, because she's fictional. If she's forgotten everything she hasn't apparently learned in all this time, she has a whole bunch of books she can go review- Thursday Next style- and see what a screw up she is. I realize she's fictional, but that doesn't give her the right to be a moron. She hasn't learned a damn thing in 10 books. So now the problem is mine, and I think the best way to stop it is to stop reinforcing the wrong behavior by continuing to pay for books that are incredibly frustrating.

Maybe I'll try again when the books don't seem so much like filler. This book was a short story padded out to book length. I can go to Laurell Hamilton if I want that. I'm sorry to lose this series, but not sorry enough to order the next one.

3.0 out of 5 stars The action is exciting...but, December 4, 2011
A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, Book 10) By: Kim Harrison
Now that Rachel is a former bounty hunter witch turned day-waking demon she has cut herself off from her craft to keep the Demons from finding her, her life takes on a bunch of new problems. We know she means well by wearing the bracelet that Trent had made her, we know she is doing so to save her own butt, but was it really the best idea she could have had? She has ignored Trent these last 5 months and will come to find that ignoring you issues don't make them go away.
Actually Rachel has avoided several Key people in her life lately and that doesn't really speak well of her growth as a character. If anything she comes off a a bit childish in some parts of this book. It is a bit disheartening when the secondary and tertiary characters grow more that the main character.

Now there are a series of ritualistic murders in Cincinnati and the clues (which may be placed at the crime scenes by the I.S. so to force Rachel to work this crime) will make the crimes point to Rachel if she doesn't solve this mess. In addition, the clues add up to it being a human hate group committing these heinous crimes, and yes they really are "people", mostly! And they want Rachel and her blood quite badly. The hate grope HAPA believes that they can wipe out all of the other creatures in this world that are not human...but boy do they choose an unusual way to do this.

And of course like past books we are sort of left dangling not knowing which way the wind is blowing. Will the new Men in Black ask Rachel and Trent to come out and play with them in the future? Will Rachel and Trent do things on their own? Will they screw up? Will Rachel ever learn to trust the fact that someone else can do things better than she can sometimes?

Certain past plot lines that should have been developed in this book were sadly given short shrift. And I certainly do wonder how Jenks and Ivy are going to manage to go their own ways and lead their own lives how this can even work. They have both been so important to the series, that I hope Ms Harrison won't get rid of them period.

The action is exciting I have no problem with that and the bad guys really are horrible bad guys and you can tell that they will be playing very important roles in upcoming books. We didn't get to see all that much of Al (unfortunately) and the issues that Trent and Rachel have could have been handled in a more mature way.

This book may be showing us that the series is going to go in a new direction. I for one will be along for the ride...well at least for the next book. If Rachel doesn't show a little more back-bone, confidence, common sense, smarts, personal growth, I may just give up.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horribly Disappointing, March 7, 2012
This review is from: A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, Book 10) (Hardcover)
A Perfect Blood is A Perfectly Boring Book. Rachel is more whiny than ever ("Oh, what have I done to myself?"), and unfortunately it permeates the entire book. But what's worse - she's completely incompetent and ineffective as a witch or a demon. Come on, when Rachel was just a witch, she handled vampires, demons, black witches, but now she's a self-neutered demon who allows a few human adversaries to bring her to her knees while fingering her silver bracelet and crying, "what have I done to myself?" Every time I came across this particular phrase, I found myself mentally yelling at her, "Either lay down and die or grow a pair already!" By now, her relationship with Trent should be solidified. He's been there for her, but she uses her self-righteous and spineless conscience (Trent is a murderer, oh my!) as a way to avoid admitting they work very well together. Then there's the scene with Al, whom Rachel has been hiding from. After reading throughout the whole book about how terrified Rachel is of confronting him, when she finally admits she's alive, Al gives in without a whimper. Talk about anti-climatic! All of this, coupled with Jenks being downgraded from a strong main leading character to one who doesn't do much more than utter worn out "Tink's panties...." one-liners and get ordered about by everyone, and Ivy giving only brief walk-ons, these two characters who have made this series what it is have been thrown into the trash. All that's left of them is to take the trash to the curb. And the explanation for the abrupt exit of Glenn's character was a very lazy bit of writing. Nor will Wayde's weak and ineffective werewolf fill the void. Together with being forced to skip pages and pages of Rachel's unending self-flagellating angst to get to the next bit of action, I had to force myself to finish reading this book. As for the wit that flew between the three characters, it went bye-bye a long time ago. This is a filler book, and not a good one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, February 26, 2012
Michelle Penney (Port Hope, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
As a series, I give the Hallows 5 stars, I really enjoyed the characters and story lines, but this last book, and don't read further if you don't want any spoilers, I would give 2.5 maybe 3. I'll tell you why.

But first, I must mention that I thought Rachel was out of character at the end of the last book, Pale Demon. I fully expected her to demand Trent remove the armband ASAP so she could save Peirce.

Rachel was always going into life-threatening situations to save people; even people she didn't really like. (Trent, for example) But she was content to let Peirce be tortured by Al, because Al believed him to be responsible for her death?!!

This situation I thought would be rectified early in the next book, but no. Five months pass, in which she hopes Peirce is still alive, feels guilty for his possible death/ or continued torture, but leaves the armband in place.

On top of that, because she is magically helpless, she gets her backside handed to her multiple times, by mere humans. Humans who could jump out of the way of her splat gun, not once but many times. I mean, the only time she successfully hit anyone, was when she took out an out of control vamp, who also happens to be on their side.

This book irritated me no end and I admit, I skimmed over those areas that bugged me the most. Honestly, Rachel, who has been able to handle fights with Inderlanders, was a bumbling boob against humans, even after she finally has Trent remove the band.

I was expecting her to finally kick butt with her magic available to her; after all, she held own against the day-walking demon in Pale Demon, but no. She's once again beaten badly, and would have been killed if Trent hadn't shown up.

A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, Book 10)
A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, Book 10) by Kim Harrison (Hardcover - February 21, 2012)
Used & New from: $0.01