I lift weights at a gym 3x a week and don't have room for a serious weight setup at home. I have a few dumbbells and medicine balls. I figured push ups would be a way to get the bench press in at home. I ordered Perfect Pushup because doing push ups hurts my wrists and the product looked like a good idea.

First impression - 'hey, it's plastic'! I thought it...
Published on May 22, 2007 by Joshua G. Feldman

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful - Can cause shoulder pain and rotator cuff damage
Published on August 2, 2008 by C. Gaines

5.0 out of 5 stars Push ups transformed into serious weight training by a deceptively simple device., May 22, 2007
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)

First impression - 'hey, it's plastic'! I thought it was going to be metal, based on the pictures. I was disappointed by their lightweight plastic build. Once I started using them, the disappointment turned to appreciation. These transform push ups into serious weight training three ways: 1) Proper wrist angle - means that I can do push ups until muscle fatigue stops me; not sore wrists. 2) Elevated hands means you can go deeper than when your hands are on the floor. This greater range of motion had an unexpectedly large impact. 3) Rotation reduces stresses and brings even more muscles into play. The hand grips rotate freely, forcing you to exert effort to keep your hands oriented. You can feel different muscle groups come into play as you alter your wrist position. The wrist naturally rotates as you move through the push up motion in different ways depending on how far from your body you place your wrists. It takes a moment to learn how to do push ups this way (the included chart is a good starting point) and rewards some experimentation. Once you've gotten used to Perfect Pushup you will not want to do push ups on the floor ever again. Going back to the floor really shows you how conventional push ups strain the wrist by bending back and punish your elbows by forcing them into a single plane of motion when they naturally want to twist.

Throwing a few sets of these "super push ups" into the mix on weekends has greatly enhanced my home workouts and my overall fitness level. Now that I've used Perfect Pushups for over a month I'm not worried about their durability. They seem quite sturdy in use.

Follow-up: There is some confusion between the two non-travel versions of this product: "Perfect Pushup - Original" (the one sold here and many other places for around $40) and "Perfect Pushup - Basic" (the one sold at Walmart and Ebay for around $20). The Perfect Pushup - Basic has a red stripe under the "Perfect Pushup" logo and the text "Basic" within the red stripe. It has a similar design to the Perfect Pushup - Original but lighter weight plastic build and comes with the handles unattached from the base and you snap them on yourself. I haven't used the "Basic" model - but you can readily see the difference between the models in the photographs: "Original" has a metal handle embedded in a larger, single piece, plastic rotating part. The stanchions holding the handle are molded and of a single piece with the rotating part. The "Basic" model has a lower flatter rotating part, and a plastic handle shaped like a letter "C" - so that the handle itself forms the stanchions connecting down into the rotating part - which is flat and not molded. I don't know if the "Basic" model is compromised in any way as to its function - but it is clearly of a lighter build quality. There's also a "Travel" version that looks a lot like the "Basic" version, but has removable handles and the flat rotating part is much thinner (1/2" instead of 1").

Follow up number two: 1 year after purchase: I've continued to use Perfect Pushup 2-3 times a week and it has remained totally reliable and durable in use. The build quality is obviously better than adequate. I continue to prefer Perfect Pushup over doing push ups on the floor - no comparison. Push ups are great exercise, but they need to be viewed in context as part of a larger exercise regimen. You will not lose weight doing push ups alone (weight training is a piece of the puzzle, but aerobic exercise, diet, and mental attitude work are all vital to that effort also). Push ups are not a complete upper body workout. Push ups exercise the front half of your upper body (triceps excepted) making it really important that you do some lifting to build your back half (i.e. do some sets of rows and pulls with dumbbells). If you build one half of any joint and neglect the other half (i.e. make the half that pushes strong but fail to make the half that pulls equally strong) you can set yourself up for injury. What makes push ups great - and Perfect Pushup in particular - is that they are an excellent upper body workout (one that gets the whole front half of the upper body if you do a few variations in hand grip position) that takes up virtually no space in your home. A good minimal home gym could be just a pair of Perfect Pushups, a Swiss ball (also known as a Yoga ball), and pair of dumbbells (preferably variable weight ones). Final conclusion - Perfect Pushup is a great way to get the mirror visible front half of your upper body worked out in limited space and is part of a home fitness solution but shouldn't be seen as constituting a full fitness regimen in and of themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good but overhyped..., December 22, 2007
...and sometimes overpriced!

What these pushup bars allow you to do is simulate the optimal lifting technique if you were doing a bench press using dumbbells (DBs): at the bottom of the bench press when the DBs are next to your chest, your palms are facing each other in a "hammer curl" type of position and as you push the DBs upward and away from your chest, you rotate the DBs inward (counter clockwise on the right and clockwise on the left) so that at the top of the movement your palms are no longer facing each other but your thumb knuckles are facing each other instead, and you might gently clink the dumbbells together for good measure. By adding a twisting motion to the pushing motion, you will feel a deeper flexion over more of the chest muscles including the insides of your pecs, rather than just the outside of your pecs next to your deltoids. This is the other reason that DB bench presses are essential, though obviously you can lift more poundage using a barbell (the main reason is that you will strengthen both your left and right sides of the body more evenly).

Just as you will find that you won't be able to use quite as much poundage doing a twisting DB bench press rather than a non-twisting linear DB press, so with these twisting pushup bars you will find yourself being able to do fewer repetitions than with normal fixed push-up bars. That is really the main advantage of these "Perfect Pushup" devices: you don't need to crank out as many reps to get to the same level of exhaustion. I normally can do around 30-40 reps per set with normal pushup bars, 50 reps per set with no bars just the ground, and only about 20-25 reps per set with these "perfect pushup" bars. This means you get a faster, more efficient workout. And if you are prone to rotator cuff issues, also a safer workout as long as you don't space these bars too far apart. They work best at shoulder width and especially, closer in---which makes perfect sense, since if you were doing a twisting DB bench press you would hold the DBs much closer together than if you were doing a barbell bench press.

Now the big caveat here is cost to benefit ratio. Normal pushup bars can go for as little as eight bucks, so you need to consider if it's really worth it to pay five times more for these "perfect pushup" ones. (I did find them at Wallyworld for twenty bucks though.) The claims of these things giving you spectacularly better results in mass and definition are, of course, just a bunch of sales hype.

Either way, pushup bars of either kind are a HUGE improvement over just plain 'ole pushups off the ground...less carpal tunnel syndrome risk and much fuller range of motion.

PS. The best way to get a great chest workout at home would be to pre-exhaust your pecs with say 3 sets of 6 to 8 reps of DB pectoral flies with moderate weight, and THEN do the pushups! Otherwise what often happens is that the delts and triceps get tired out before the pecs (a much larger muscle) are completely exhausted.

PPS. There is an alternative way to do pushups WITHOUT handles of any kind, and WITHOUT any carpal tunnel syndrome risk: do them on your fists, with a folded up washcloth or other padding under your knuckles if needed. I got this idea from scoobysworkshop dot com, which btw is a TRULY EXCELLENT resource for home workouts without a whole lot of equipment...tons of instructional videos there which are also available on YouTube and it's 100% free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Product, April 20, 2007
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
I recieved this product about 3 weeks ago and am impressed with how it works. I used to be an above average wrestler in the highly competitive state of Iowa, so over the years I learned many pushup and workout techniques to keep the body fit and strong. I used to treat my body as a hobby, using pushups and dumbbells as my main source of lifting and staying in shape. Over the past year, I've put on a little weight and lost some tone just like quite a few people do once the final years of school, careers, and family consume the majority of your time. Recently, I am looking to get back to old form. I saw the Perfect Pushup on television and was intrigued by the equipment. I also did a little research via the internet to see what information I could find on the product. I wondered how doing pushups with the Perfect Pushup compared to doing pushups normally, and wondered whether I could get into shape faster with them and whether they worked. I can tell the difference between the results from the Perfect Pushup and that of doing normal, flat on the floor pushups. So far I am pleased. Getting acclimated to the twisting motion of the Perfect Pushup is probably the hardest part, especially if you are used to doing pushups flat on the floor. But, after a couple sets the twisting motion becomes a natural movement. Doing pushups on the Perfect Pushup tends to be a little difficult for the first week because the twisting movement really targets the whole upper body and some of your abs. I felt a little soreness a few hours after doing a set of twenty. For the first week, fight through the soreness and realize the pushups using the Perfect Pushup are a little tougher . Try going back to normal, flat on the floor pushups and you'll be amazed on how many you can do. You feel like you have to do 100 before getting a burn. I haven't done a vigorous workout with the Perfect Pushup yet because of a busy schedule, but I try to use them for about 5-10 minutes a night. So far, everyone else and I can see I look thinner and more toned. I think I look more toned in my chest and upper abs so I am excited to develop a more routine workout that lasts 30 to 45 minutes much like I used to do as a wrestler to see how fast I see results. I'm so impressed with this product that I recommend it to everyone including friends and family. Some friends have stopped by the house and saw them lying on the floor. Of course like a lot of people they think it is another workout fad until they try it. I have a few friends that live and die in the weight room. They teased me a bit then became pretty impressed once they decided to do a set of pushups. The burn and muscle fatigue comes quicker than most expect meaning the Perfect Pushup works even with those accustomed to working out on a regular basis. One thing that really impresses me is how easy the Perfect Pushup allows you to isolate arms and chest muscles with ease doing one-handed pushups.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful - Can cause shoulder pain and rotator cuff damage, August 2, 2008
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
This product can cause you serious harm. Be careful. I hurt my right shoulder, probably rotator-cuff, fooling with this device. Do your homework on the internet. Go to youtube and look at WDSUTV's review of the perfect push-up. Dr. Corey Hebert says a traditional pushup does a better job of distributing weight throughout your body and lessens pressure on wrist and hands. He recommends that you not use this product if you have a pre-exisiting joint or rotator-cuff injury. You can find other information on the web. A lot of people experience shoulder pain from using this device. It's not worth the risk

5.0 out of 5 stars Results Immediately!, July 14, 2007
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
I was skeptical when buying this product and thought, "ugh, why did I just spend $40 on that when I have $14 push-up bars I already use only sparingly." I JUST got this today and can say, those old push-up bars are being sent to Goodwill. These Perfect Pushup things are amazing. The way they allow your hands to change positions during the push-up seems like the key. I normally do about 50push-ups at a time, once or twice a night. I did TEN push-ups to try it out in the kitchen when I first opened the box. I left the room and could already feel a tightness in areas of my chest that I TRY to isolate in push-ups, but have never seemed to be able to completely. I have since done about 20 more push-ups and feeling the same effects. I'm really looking forward to using them more. I'll check back in if the long-term effects aren't up to par, but I doubt you'll be hearing from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Pushup, or not?, May 12, 2007
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
I am a future soldier in the United States Army delayed entry program. I am using these to train for BCT "Basic Training" and OCS "Officer Candidate School".

Originally I was looking for some simple pushup bars to get my body a little higher off the ground to increase the range of motion and the muscle stretch on the pushup. I came across these and saw they were made/designed by a former seal so I thought I would try them out. After using them for about a month here are my thoughts:

(all rankings out of 10)

Overall stability of item: 7

-the swivel seems fairly sturdy

-the swivel mechanism CANNOT be locked so it is ALWAYS able to turn

-the unit is plastic with the exception of the handlebar which is a type of metal

Comfortability of the item: 7

-the grip is rubber and is actually pretty soft, it could be softer though, but I assume it was made a little harder to withstand use and to last longer

-the motion of the twisting movement can get pretty awkward and I haven't really felt any extra burn from it

Packaging & Inserts: 8

-they include a laminated type poster that shows you a few basic work outs and give your a table which you can use to setup a pushup program. The included workouts are nothing revolutionary, they just show you how to do regular types of pushups we've all be doing for awhile, but with the swivel movement...

OVERALL RANK: about a 7

My biggest issue about these is that you cannot lock them. I guess it could be argued that having them constantly swiveling around builds stability muscles, but honestly it should at least be an option to somehow lock the swivel portion so one could do just straight up pushups if one wanted. You still can, but they can easily alter the angle fairly quickly.

I use these in conjunction with regular pushups. Doing pushups with these seem just as reasy as a regular pushup and they provide what a regular pushup doesn't: range of motion and elevation.

I would buy these again if 1) there was a locking mechanism and 2) they included some sort of chart showing what muscles were worked on each of their proscribed exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars good product, December 14, 2006
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
I don't go to a gym, so I own a lot of different kinds of fitness equipment. I know that most made for TV products are superfluous at best, and usually are just useless. However, this a great product. Well-made of sturdy materials, it lets you perform pus-ups the natural way (it allows for your hands to rotate). Everyone knows that push ups is a great exercise, however, most people don't enjoy doing them. This product can help get motivated, plus they offer nice customer service support.

Well, this is not some miracle product that is going to turn you into a bodybuilder, but, if you think its going get motivated, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really does take push-ups to a whole new level!, July 11, 2007
This review is from: Perfect Pushup - Original (Sports)
Our son is in excellent shape and push-ups are a part of his usual routine. But this simple product, designed by a Navy Seal, really does make the usual push-up more challenging and allows the user to vary his or her routine quite a bit. By the way, you can find free workouts online for this, at various video sites, or you can buy one of the DVDs or cards listed below.
One warning: Because this DOES allow your arms to rotate, you might consider having someone "spot" you the first time, as I've seen inexperienced users lose their balance or have their arms collapse. This is a rarity and should NOT happen if you are in control of your body, have decent balance and are used to push-ups.