5.0 out of 5 stars My quads are burning!
Oh my gosh my legs are on fire! I really felt the burn after doing the section on core conditioning.She is one very fit and talented dancer.
The things I liked about this DVD was
1)she explains the movements briefly, not over and over like some others I've seen/heard
Published on October 26, 2007 by Lana

2.0 out of 5 stars buy this one or Michelle's Basics, not both!
Published on December 31, 2007 by rainbow traveller

5.0 out of 5 stars My quads are burning!, October 26, 2007
Lana "Ms. Lana" (Acworth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perfect Hips Belly Dance Workout: Abs, Hips, Butt & Thighs (DVD)
The things I liked about this DVD was
2) the way its broken into segments so I can just click on the workout section I want to review
3)she is warm and calm, never shows any diva attitude, nice smile
4)Easy to follow
5)she instructs facing a mirror which is SO mush easier to follow along to, than having to reverse your movements because the teacher is facing YOU
6)the lighting and mirror/backdrop is not distracting at all-no funky computer generated backgrounds
7) the bonus performance at the end with the beautiful and talented Zaheea
8)she wears workout clothes that show what her body is doing, no skirts that cover up what her knees are doing
9) the camera angles show her whole body, not just shots of her face or specific body parts that happen to be moving
I only wish it was a tad longer with perhaps another different workout with a little more traveling. But still, its very good and you will get crisper isolations following this video continually. LOVED this DVD and I'm going to buy all the others she has out too. Michelle is truly a dancers dancer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Workout, but a few nitpicky things..., February 24, 2008
PhoenyxArts (Concord, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying the meat of this DVD is great! I have been belly dancing for about a year now, and purchased this DVD to add to my home workout rotation to supplement the classes I take. Even with that experience I still found the workout a good challenge. There's even a more 'advanced' section that includes shimmies. Michelle's breakdown section even put a few more things into better perspective for me, so that's another big plus.

These are the things that kept me from giving it a 5 star rating:

The warmup and cooldown are a bit lacking. The thing you need to watch out for is one of the first moves in the warmup is a rather aggressive stretch. If you haven't been dancing for a while or are fairly sedentary before you start using this DVD... Warm up a little bit even before the workout's warm up. Once you get beyond that first part, it is a decent warmup. The cooldown, I felt like 'why bother with putting it in there?' I just do my own stretching instead.

The overall production of the DVD. I really wish the menu were broken down even further than it was. On other DVDs I have, there is the main menu which has the sections, but they break each section down even further. This works better for those of us who pick out sections to focus on. Yes, that's a bit nitpicky I admit, but I think the production looks a lot more pro when its broken down like that.

Is it worth the money? Yes. I'll be including it in my DVD workout rotation. My thighs and hips definitely felt the burn. And, I can't stress this enough...anybody who is starting to work out or do any form of belly dancing, pay attention to your body and work within its limitations.

2.0 out of 5 stars buy this one or Michelle's Basics, not both!, December 31, 2007
I bought this video because I had liked Michelle's other videos (Basic lesson and drum solo), however I was totally disappointed when I watched it. This video presents exactly the same material as in the other 2 but shortened! What a rip-off...I wish this had been mentioned, that's why I gave it only 2 stars. The material itself is quite good for serious learners of belly dance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as advertised, October 25, 2007
A really good workout - which is kinda rare in bellydance workout DVDs. Plus, it teaches real belly dance technique. Good for people just wanting some kind of different way to get fit, but a really good introduction and foundation for the dance.

5.0 out of 5 stars belly dance, March 26, 2008
well lets put it this way...im almost 50 yrs old...over weight and out of shape and i loved this tape. it was easy to follow, easy to master the moves, well explained and slow enough to follow. i give it 5 stars all the way across. if your already into this type of excersize and movement, it may not be energerized enough for You. But if your simply starting out and trying something new, this is the one! the only one thing is that perhaps the instructor fussed with her hair a little to much, maybe should have used a pony tail..laffs

5.0 out of 5 stars The path to perfect hips starts here!, March 7, 2008
Farah (Davy Jones' Locker) - See all my reviews
I own A LOT of bellydance workout dvds but this one is one of the best. Although I'm not quite sure if I will ever have "perfect" hips, I am sure that this dvd will help me get back in shape quickly. Michelle Joyce has come up with a fun workout that not only covers basic bellydance movements but gets your heart rate going as well. The excercises may be a little challenging at first for someone who is totally out of shape but none of the moves are high impact so even the most devout couch potato can use this workout without fear of serious injury or heart attack! Michelle has a friendly personality and a warm, conversational approach to teaching that makes it a pleasure to follow along with her instructions and demonstrations. This is another winner from Michelle and Cheely Girls Productions. I can't wait to see what they come up with next!

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME DVD's for the fitness buffs and the bellydancers., January 15, 2008
Repetition is the mother of PERFECTION....here Michelle offers different perspectives in movement and mechanics of dance for both types of audiences. This is the best DVD for people who like CLEAR and DETAILED instruction not like other teachers who are muddy in their technique....you FEEL like Michelle is in your living room giving you a private belly dance lesson. As a belly dance teacher myself for 9 and 1/2 years I would recommend this DVD for any beginning dancer in any dance field OR to ladies at home who want to firm up those flabby areas. ENJOY!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, December 19, 2007
At first Michelle is kind of intimidating, the warm up is a little fast to begin with but she definately knows what she's doing.You can tell she is also a personal trainer. I like the open dance studio look with a mirror behind her so her, you feel like your are at a lesson. The only 2 things I didn't like is in one part she's talking to the mirror and the cool down leaves quite a bit to be desired. All in all it was a great work out. I can feel my thighs and abs working the whole time and my heart got going. If you want a more toned down and informative video Amira's Bellydance 101 is also a great choice.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too frustrating to be any real use, May 28, 2008
I'm so glad I had some belly dancing experience, because I would have been lost without it. this dvd might be useful for an in shape belly dancer who wants to keep in shape. It is NOT an exercise tape for anyone who is out of shape.

The first problem is the set up. There's a lot of forwarding through stuff you don't need to watch more than once, or are too out of shape to do. You end up feeling bad for "skipping" things you physically. can. not. do.

The second problem is the "warm ups" A beginer is going to have a hard time getting into that cross legged position, and one stretch requires you to remain in a wide stanced squat for the better part of five minutes.

The "cool down" consists of her telling you that cool downs are important, but she doesn't actually walk you through any cool down stretches. Stretches can be vastly different depending on which muscles you worked.

Unless you already know your stuff, I wouldn't reccomend this. I'll suffer through it once a week, but only out of stubborness to get my money's worth (It's going to take awhile)

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped me out so much..., August 27, 2008
For 80 minutes worth, this by far is one of the best bellydance instructional dvds for the absolute beginner. Michelle is a great teacher, a great dancer, she is kind and encouraging but at the same time you can tell she is serious is about what she teaches, she speaks in a clear, professional tone and voice, explains things slowly and carefully, and always gets to the point of things. She starts off with these excellent warm-up exercises and yoga-type conditioning, then begins to break down basic movements, moves on to some not-so basic movements, puts all the movements together, and teaches you 2 pre-shimmy drills. Plus the music and bellydance performance at the end by Zaheea is priceless. I highly recommend purchasing her "Perfect Hips" along with her "Pop, Lock, & Shimmy" as it is truly intermediat level. Also, it would be a good idea to also purachese "Drills, Drills, Drills" and "Body By Bellydance" as it teaches layering techniques and some more advanced layer combos, plus finger cymbals! Enjoy!