5.0 out of 5 stars This *IS* the Halo-esque launch title for the Xbox 360!
Although I was worried about purchasing this game at launch (because of the bad reader reviews), I have found it an amazingly deep and complex title. I have finished this game in single player and multiplayer (online mode) and there are a few unique features you need to know about when considering this title:

1. Varying gameplay based on difficulty: When you...
Published on February 21, 2006 by DarkDan

3.0 out of 5 stars meh
i ordered this to CO-OP with my girlfriend. we both loved the N64 version so we decided to give this a try. it was okay at best. very short game. but to say the least it was kinda fun.
Published 8 months ago by Paytron5000

5.0 out of 5 stars This *IS* the Halo-esque launch title for the Xbox 360!, February 21, 2006
DarkDan "DarkDan" (Norman, OK United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Perfect Dark Zero Limited Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)

1. Varying gameplay based on difficulty: When you change the difficulty setting, you are given additional side-missions which you can achieve. One example is a boat that needs to be blown up to protect one of your operatives. This is a refreshing change to the rather boring alternative of just having guys who can withstand more headshots or are using faster moving computer AI. This also makes for a more immersive game, since you feel like a real secret agent, who's being trusted with more responsibility as your skills increase.

2. Varying gameplay based in single vs. multiplayer: When I first started playing this with a friend, I was amazed to find that it is actually a different experience. Rather than just heading down the same road as the single player game, the characters actually split paths and have different objectives. For example, on one level, I was a sniper on a roof, providing cover fire for my partner while he was down below trying to complete objectives for the mission. The game actually takes longer to play co-op, and it brings a lot of extra enjoyment.

3. Co-op over Xbox Live: If you have a friend with a 360 who lives far from you, you can play the game together cooperatively. This is a very nice feature for those of us who get tired of being verbally assaulted by teenagers and completely wiped out by the pros. It also allows for a more strategic gameplay, as you can try out different manuvers and see how they work against the AI.

4. Excellent multiplayer support: The game supports all 4 Xbox 360 controllers. You can even go online with 4 players on a single 360 to really help in a team game. This is the only 360 title that I know of that makes this possible. It's great when you want to really show off the power of the 360.

All of this rolls up into a really nice title for the Xbox 360. And, now that I've played it all the way through, I would certainly recommend it for anyone who wants to get a lot of gameplay out of a FPS (First Person Shooter) game with Next-Gen graphics!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Would Elvis Do?, January 11, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The original Perfect Dark was so darn good that when I saw this for a measly twenty bucks I couldn't pass it up. I spent a good year on the original--it was an all-purpose shooter. Even if you were alone, the multiplayer bots kept things fresh, and there were a million and one options to tinker around with.

That game stored not only your custom-tailored character but also your lifetime stats down to the mileage you've run and every round fired. This made it the cartridge of choice whenever I invited people over and we wanted something to play. There was fierce competition in my apartment for several months as people vied for dominance in one stat group or another. If you weren't a marksman, maybe you would only use mines and thus lay claim to the title of most explosive kills and so on. I tell you all this so you'll understand that not a little bit of nostalgia factored into my overall rating. If I hadn't played the original this one would probably get three stars. As it was, I enjoyed it more than a newcomer might.

So I was very pleased to see that bots were being included in this installment as well. I don't know why other games don't mimic Perfect Dark's multiplayer system. All I know is that between the original and Dark Zero, I kept wishing for a game that played just as well with multiplayer just as customizable, and never got it until now.

There are a number of standard rulesets like killcount and capture the flag but there are also scenarios that can be fought through against other live players.

The best, though, is when you have a friend over and want to play. Then you can have a real versus match--none of that one-on-one crap that gets old very fast. Want to play 5v5? Just add eight bots. Instant opponents, or teammates. You can adjust their skill levels anywhere from completely pathetic to death incarnate. And if you're better than your friend, you can add a couple extra bots to his team.

Missing, though, are a lot of those options I mentioned before. You can't customize your character in this one (forgivable), you can't tailor the bots' personalities or appearances (also forgivable), and you can't view your lifetime stats anymore (blasphemy! burn the witch!). That left Dark Zero feeling more cramped than the original. I still can't figure out why they removed all that content. Ah, well. The deathmatch arena in Perfect Dark Zero is still the most fun multiplayer--even just against bots--I've experienced in a while.

As far as the single player campaign goes, it's ruthlessly average. Not bad at all--not even implying that. Everything's rock-solid, action-wise. I just mean the story and the levels are so-so. Nothing standout here. Nothing unsatisfactory, either. You'll get your share of challenges. Some of the stretches you have to navigate in this game will keep you on your toes. I must have tried the bridge assault level ten or twelve times before I made it.

There were a couple of noticeable flaws in the otherwise smooth veneer of this experience, though. One was the physics of a downed bad guy. It's really common in this game for a dead body to start "dancing" on the ground, or even take off and hover in midair for a while. You'll waste a lot of bullets shooting at dead bodies you think are attacking you. Another is the shadows. I haven't seen shadows that pixelated since SNES. Still, these are pretty minor. You won't have a problem overlooking them in favor of the action.

I really liked the music in this game. It seemed to fit perfectly and it did a good job of getting me into whatever was happening onscreen. No thick atmosphere here, but that's a good thing. You're promised an adrenaline rush or ten, and it delivers. Consequently the themes in Dark Zero are much more energetic than in the original. The opening video and song reminded me strongly of Bond credits. Slick.

All in all, I truly liked it. There were flaws, but it was a well-executed game. When you factor in the price you can't go wrong. It's a solid shooter and the adaptable deathmatch will keep you playing for a while.

4.0 out of 5 stars Halo + 007 = PDZ, January 9, 2006
A Kid's Review
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Perfect Dark Zero is a great game. I want to start off with that. To keep it simple the game is a mixture of Halo gunplay with 007 espionage and stealth tactics mixed for a pretty enjoyable game. Here are my personal Pros & Cons

PROS:

+ Fun single player mode with shorter & more replayable levels

+ Co-op fun

+ Optional bots in multiplayer (for those without live)

+ Lot of cool weapons (w/ cool secondary features)

+ Interesting "slot" system for holding weapons

+ Mediocre story line

CONS:

- Very unrealistic (killing an enemy at point blank can take up to 4 shotgun shots)

- Pistols pretty much pathetic ('cept Revolver)

- Last boss (No spoiler, but when you play it, just think "WHAT?!")

- Only 13 levels

- Online play can seem a little too chaotic

Overall, the game is a lot of fun, but not very original. I know that everyone says it but it's true. If you want the best shooter for the 360, go with Call of Duty 2. It is a much more realistic game. If you want an unrealistic, but fun sci fi action game, this is for you. BTW, the graphics are great!

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything was perfect, except dialogue and character development!, July 22, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Perfect Dark Zero is a great game. There are some flaws. The dialogue and voice acting from most of the characters are near awful. However, the voice acting for the characters of Daniel Carrington, Mai Hem, Zhang Li, Chandra and Dr. Caroll were excellent. Joanna Dark's voice was not British, unlike her original N64 version. Daniel Carrington and Zhang Li have awkward designs. The cutscenes were near embarrassing. But if you try to blank those flaws from your mind, this is actually a very good game. For a 2005 title, it delivers. The soundtrack, graphics, and visuals are excellent and reflect the dark gothic atmosphere of the original N64 Perfect Dark. The multiplayer is cool, but does not compare to the N64. To me, this game was just an origin story for Joanna Dark, the CI and dataDyne, kind of like how Batman Begins was an origin story of Nolan's Batman. I love the Percect Dark franchise and hope either an actual remake of the N64 version or a sequel is made. Also, if you have not read the two novels and the comic that link Perfect Dark Zero's story to Perfect Dark N64's I would suggest you do so. There is also a Game Boy Color game that's events occurs just after Perfect Dark Zero, the novels and comic. It depicts Joanna's final training at the CI HQ to become the perfect agent and her first actual missions as a professional agent.
Story 9/10
Character development 5/10
Overall Impression 7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Game Ever..!, July 19, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ive Had This Game For Years But My Sis Scratched My Old Cd. I Play This Game For HOURS && Never Get Bored. It Has So Many Modes && New Challenges. Very Fun. Good For Age 13+.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., December 26, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I got this for Christmas after wanting it for quite sometime. The amount of extras in it alone are few in number, yet awesome in stature. As a follow up to the original it is a decent enough game. The packaging is also awesome. The real value of this product is the extras. For this of price it is a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this game, November 15, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for my daughter a few years back and the game stopped working. I decided to surprise her with a replacement this year. I have never played it myself but I have watched her play and the game looks very interesting. I am sure that she is going to be excited to receive another copy of perfect dark zero since it is one of her favorite games.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, November 13, 2012
A throwback but still looks great! I remember when this launched with the 360. Even though its seven years later it still looks great! Gameplay is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty cool!, September 10, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I personally could care less for the limited edition dvd... but the game itself is extremely entertaining for my husband, two oldest children, and I (mom). My youngest and I play multiplayer and my oldest and husband play missions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Dark Zero, December 14, 2005
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This game is amazing, ten stars. I can understand when people say it's not responsive enough but the truth is it can be made to. In the game menu just go to senseativity you can spin as fast as you like. And the speed may be slow but it's relistic. do you realy think in real life you can sprint while holding a rocket launcher. No I didn't think so. Thats why RARE did a great job, they made the game so that if you put away your weapon, You can sprint, or if you have a magnum you can run faster then someone with a rifle. This adds for great strategy like knowing when to pull out your weapon, or put it away and run. Anyway you look at it this is a great game.

Perfect Dark Zero Limited Collector's Edition -Xbox 360