Published on June 19, 2009 by Alain B. Burrese

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great ideas, balanced with some horrible ideas
Published on November 16, 2011 by TwoDrummers

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book to help prepare for salary and job negotiations, June 19, 2009
This review is from: Perfect Phrases for Negotiating Salary and Job Offers: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases to Help You Get the Best Possible Salary, Perks or Promotion (Perfect Phrases Series) (Paperback)
Sometimes when you are negotiating for higher pay, more benefits, the best starting salary, or a promotion, you just don't know what to say. Issues will come up that you have not thought about and you find yourself unprepared to respond with an appropriate answer. This is where "Perfect Phrases for Negotiating Salary & Job Offers: Hundreds of Ready-to-Use Phrases to Help You Get the Best Possible Salary, Perks, or Promotion" by Matthew J. DeLuca and Nanette F. DeLuca comes in. This book provides a wide range of examples to modify to your own situation and practice before you enter your negotiations. Proper preparation before a negotiation is crucial for negotiating success, and this book will help you prepare the right words for just about any salary or job offer negotiation.

The first part of the book focuses on preparing for salary negotiations. It contains advice on figuring out where you are in the negotiation process, why you should receive more money, how to determine your selling points, defining what compensation means to you, and some basics on how to negotiate.

The second part of the book deals with salary questions before and during the recruiting and selection process. This section gives you a number of model responses to various situations such as submitting a salary number versus a salary range, or responding to objections if you are a job seeker fifty years old or older.

The third part focuses on negotiating the total compensation offer, including salary, benefits, and perquisites. There are a lot of samples you can use when negotiating salary, bonuses, option, flexible hours, and other compensation related items. This part also contains advice on counteroffers and finalizing offers.

The fourth part contains examples of negotiating at your current job. There are phrases you can use when asking for a promotion, a raise, negotiating over severance, and other related items.

Part five deals with special circumstances such as per diem, working off the books, and when invited back by a past employer. Again, phrases are provided for all of these situations that you can modify to fit your own needs.

The appendixes contain information regarding how to determine your current level of compensation, sample letters for wrapping up negotiations, and other resources.

I found this to be a good little book for the person preparing for salary or job negotiations. It provides ample phrases to modify to your own situations to be better prepared to succeed when asking for the salary, benefits, or perks you want. If you are getting ready to negotiate your salary or for a new job offer, reading this book first will help with your preparations.

Reviewed by Alain Burrese, J.D., author of a regular column on negotiation for The Montana Lawyer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Phrases That Work!, January 24, 2010
L. A. (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I have been interviewing and working on offers over the last several weeks. I finally zeroed in on a job I really wanted. I got an initial offer that I thought should have better compensation. I used specific phrases from this book to negotiate a better offer. The counter-offer still lacked some of my key must-haves. I again came back with another set of counter-offers using phrases from the book. I got a higher salary, a four day work week, and a sign on bonus. I also got an offer that was 10k higher than another person who applied and received an offer for the same position. It really pays to study up on negotiating. This book was priceless in my negotiating process. Highly recommend this to anyone who needs to negotiate for a new job offer or a raise in compensation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just What I Needed, October 15, 2008
I'm glad I found this book! Having just read two other books by the same author(s), I found I still wanted more in the way of salary negotiation hints. This books gives a wide variety of scenarios that one might run into be it during a job interview or how to obtain increases in salary requests. It is an easy, entertaining read that I found full of useful insights on how to help you say the right thing in order to get the salary you deserve. This book was much more comprehensive than Jack Chapman's. I highly recommend this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great ideas, balanced with some horrible ideas, November 16, 2011
I found this book somewhat mediocre. There were indeed a lot of great phrases in there, but there was also a lot of just so-so phrases as well. What I find troubling though, is that there are a lot of really bad phrases that any halfway decent career coach would strongly recommend against ever using. There is a whole section on negotiating a raise at your current job based on personal financial circumstances. "My kid's private school tuition went up," or "My husband's hours got cut." You never, ever ask for a raise based on these sorts of things. So you have to have some general idea of what you should and should not say to get any good use out of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to have a barrage of words to throw at someone, July 15, 2014
I bought this book to see what I could do about negotiating a starting salary, but I tried and in backfired. I didn't get the job because I asked for too much. I'm not that sorry about it. The counter offer was a true low-ball, but I wish I had the capacity to use my words to convince the company that the salary they offered wasn't even at-market.

What I really need to know is: what do you put for "expected salary" in online applications? Some of them are mandatory, and hardly any give you room to put a range.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Simple to Use, April 12, 2014
Good clear and simple to use.
The presence of subheading makes the navigation of this book very easy and friendly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hasn't worked for me yet?, March 2, 2014
Jim Millman (Delaware City, Delaware) - See all my reviews
I don't blame the book itself as I do the way business is conducted now-a-days? This book is full of good ammunition and ideas. I hope they work better for everyone else than they have for me?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, August 12, 2013
The shipping time was a little slow, however, the book is well worth the wait. I think the product is very insightful and I would recommend this product to everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful., March 26, 2013
This book was easy to read and listed several different situations with the appropriate answer or recommendation. Obviously it didn't have every scenario, but a good start...

2.0 out of 5 stars It has many phrases alright, February 13, 2013
But what I wanted was it to delve more, into the psychology of both parties and the complex dynamics. It was a bit more verbal than I would like also.