Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 27, 2011
I bough tone of these to set up lightning in front of my house for Halloween. Bought some thunder sounds and loaded them on a spare Ipod. Hooked up some HUGE speakers through an amp, hung 5 75 watt spotlights in the trees and put the device in front of one of the speakers. Worked great! The only downside is that the device works with a microphone. So a) you have to put it in front of a speaker and b) when the local firetruck or police car comes down the street and hits the horn or siren, your "lightning" lights come on! I was able to set it so yelling kids didn't affect it much, but your results may vary. In summary, nice guizmo! Works as advertised. Wish it had a line-in or speaker-in instead of a microphone.
on December 13, 2012
Didn't work right out of the box. It powered up lights but mic didn't work at all. No flashes, no lighting effect. When I contacted company they were quick to respond back with a return label. I returned item and never heard from them again. I emailed 4 times and called and left 3 voicemails with company. No one ever got back to me. Filled out a claim with my credit card and they re-imbursed me. One of the worst customer service experiences with a online purchase ever. Buyer beware.
on October 24, 2012
Love this little Storm Box, I bought a 3 flood light cord at Harbor Freight for $14 , 3 white 100watt flood light bulds , and i have a complete Thunderstorm show for under $60.
on February 5, 2016
Finally got to use this after 1 year of sitting in a box, so easy to set up - plugged in a surge protector - I took a 500 watt work light, an old CD player placed next to the perfect storm in a made box like cover to protect it (out in my Halloween graveyard), plugged the surge protector into the perfect storm, I loaded the provided CD in the player, I hit play and boom let the light show begin. Easy as that and it was amazing!! Buy it you won' t regret it.
on October 24, 2014
I ordered this unit because of the cheap price. Well as the saying goes, "you get what you pay for" My unit arrived quickly but was dead on arrival. I read a lot of post on the internet forums from people having the same experience. DOA. However my luck was little better than theirs. This seller ordered me a new on right away and shipped it at no cost. The new one arrived in a few days and worked first try. It is hooked up to two 300 watt lamps in the yard and working great. 600 watts is more than adequate to simulate lightening in the front of my house. Sensitivity is great and I set it on the low side to get the best effect to match my sound effects. The sound effect that came with it are a bit saturated and over done so I made my own by recording thunder effects on the internet. I did not use the CD player as suggested. I loaded the sound file I made into an old phone and hooked it directly into the power amp. So with 500 watts of sound through my Kenwood speakers and 600 watts of light from two halogen spot lamps and the effect is complete. The neighbors came out to see what was going on. Loved it!
I hope it lasts.
on April 18, 2015
This thing is EXACTLY what I was looking for, and it works great once you understand what it 'needs'! It has a little sensor (microphone) that listens for lightning sounds (from included CD), and then flashes the electrical output to match what it's hearing. The microphone picks up bass MUCH better than treble. Initially I put on top of my computer desk, and was unimpressed with it. Then I moved it underneath the desk, right next to my subwoofer, and it started working flawlessly. We had many trick or treaters giving us complements on the lightning effects. If you're having trouble getting it working, put it right next to a subwoofer, or take other steps to ensure that it's getting a strong amount of bass.
on August 15, 2013
Works great. Although you must use the built in microphone near an audio source, it works fine. It would be nice to have an audio input plug that you could use with a sound source directly connected. The included thunder DVD is not that great, but you can make one of your own that sounds more realistic. But, overall, it works quite well.
on February 9, 2013
it should have just have an input jack instead a microphone. This creates all sort of power and placement issues; The power cord is only 6 feet long and you have to place it next to the speaker so it the speaker is more then six feet from an outlet you have to use extension cords as well as use another one from the speakers location up (and probably over) to where your lighting is located. If they had a jack you could simply place it next to the light. Of course, ideally (as I would have designed it) it would have both options with a simple (and cheap) rocker switch next to them so you could see which source is selected. Additionally, the microphone will pick up noise such as footsteps (of placed on the ground near the speakers), cars (used outdoors), kids screaming, dogs barking and flash which is not how it's suppose to work. It's suppose to only react to the thunder sounds. it's also need to be place extremely close to the speaker to work reliably. Adding a input jack avoids all this mess.
on November 26, 2013
I purchased the Perfect Storm Lightning Effects Kit including shipping for $45.99 on 9/16/13. It shipped quickly and arrived in perfect condition.

This lightning kit was purchased for use at my home on Halloween night. It worked better than I had hoped.

This unit comes with a ~60 minute Thunder CD. I ripped the music from the CD into MP3 format. I then loaded that file onto an MP3 player that I hooked up to a very loud stereo that I setup outdoors.

The unit has one plug in the back (I think only one) in which I hooked up a grounded splitter. I then ran extension cords to the two LED spotlights that I purchased from Home Depot.

The unit has a sensitivity knob that you can turn to select how sensitive it is to the thunder. This worked very well and I was able to crank up the sound while getting the lightning flashes that I desired.

This box ran for about 10 hours during the day (testing time and trick or treat time) and it never had an issue.

This little box is extremely effective at a tenth of the cost of similar units. I highly recommend.
on November 13, 2013
It works; bottom line; does what it's supposed to do
...has a good lighting algorithm (just make sure you use a good CD)
good job

for the next version: add a frequency dial so you can adjust sensitivity to low frequencies
(instead of just responding to thunder, it could do the same for bass in general)