4.0 out of 5 stars Well.... it was very inexpensive
if i would have paid more for it, i would have given it a lower rating
I paid $250 for the two weights and stand.
First off, aside from the iron plates, the whole dumbell is made of plastic!
If you set a certain configuration on your dumbell, you'll feel it being VERY loose and it seems like like the sides are ready to crack (again, made of plastic)
I...
Published on February 25, 2010 by freddy

3.0 out of 5 stars Assembly Challenge/Alignment Issues
# March 21, 2013 Update:

After using these for a while, I'm in the market for a better set.

1. I've found that the weight don't seem to be centered around the grip so that the weight tends to rotate on it's own - not good when you are working wrists/forearms. I don't want the weight "helping" me do the movement.

2. I'm tired of having...
Published on July 6, 2011 by A. Reichert

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Well.... it was very inexpensive, February 25, 2010
This review is from: Performance Fitness Performance Fitness TB560 Adjustable Dumbbells with Stand - 5-60 lbs. (Sports)
if i would have paid more for it, i would have given it a lower rating
I paid $250 for the two weights and stand.
First off, aside from the iron plates, the whole dumbell is made of plastic!
I do not feel very safe using these, so i do my reps slowly so the inertial force doesnt cause the plastic pieces to break

Secondly, the booklet looks nothing like the stand, there was another little sheet included and the pieces are wrong, I didnt recieve some caps and only have 8 washers, not 16 as stated. There were other pieces not include i think, but i cant remember.

Thirdly, when you select a weight, the pieces get very loose when you try to put it back. Like another reviewer said, it would have been better if the cups that hold the weights were a lot more deeper (i would have paid extra for that one!). Also the weights ARE adjustable in 2.5lb increments, only problem is that you adjust two side per each dumbell, meaning that, unless you want the weight to be unevenly distributed, you can only adjust weight by 5lb increments per hand.

Would i recommend this product? Sure. It was MUCH cheaper than the alternatives and i havent even tried any other brand, so *maybe* the rest are just as fragile as this one seems to be

___________________________
Update 5/3/2010

almost 15 months and it is still going strong
No cracks or anything yet

___________________________
Update 1/8/2012

almost 23 months and it is still good as ever
maybe because i don't use this very often it remains in good shape? (i spend my workout time doing "insanity")

_______________________________
Update 7/10/2013

finally coming apart
a little rod on one of the dumbells that holds the weights in place came loose and fell. No way to fix this.

extremely moderate use since I go to the gym

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for a quality product, March 9, 2010
I bought this set for $249 when it was an Amazon gold box deal a couple months ago. There weren't a ton of reviews yet but it was such a good value that I decided to bite. I am so glad that I did!!! The set was delivered to my door in 3 boxes and assembly for the stand took me about 20-30 minutes. The weights come completely assembled and so far seem to be very durable and of good quality.
Adjusting between weights is very easy to do and can be done quickly without much fuss while going through a workout routine. The one downside, which has been noted in other reviews, is that most of the dumbbell (aside from the weights themselves) is made from hard plastic. However, I have yet to have any issues and overall the weights seem to be very well constructed. Plus, at half the price (including the cost of the stand) of the also mostly plastic Bowflex Selecttechs these are really a bargain. I would recommend them to anyone filling out their home gym or for those taking on the p90x challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars TB560, September 7, 2010
I purchased these dumbells about a year ago and love em. Wanting to save money, I quit the gym and wanted to invest (on the cheap) in some home equipment. Not having alot of room in my garage, adjustable dumbells were the way to go. After a ton of researching I found these here on amazom.

I purchased my set for $279 + free ship & no tax = a great deal ;) they took about a week to get here in three boxes (I think). Set em up and heres the deal... Handles have a nice rubber grip, but are plastic (hard plastic), the weights are all steel and the stand is light weight, yet very sturdy. They do not take up a lot of space and adjust very easily. They can be a little troublesome to place back in the stand sometimes, but it's not bad.

I do P90X, so I use these things alot, I lift em over my head, out in front of me, to the sides, I flip em this way and that and I have NEVER had a problem with them "feeling unsafe". They work great the weights "wiggle" a little bit, but ALL adjustables do. You can always find something to gripe about, and somepeople do! I have tested many different brands, all have pros & cons, and found that if you aint picky and want to do it cheap and still get a good product, then these are for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value - Good customer service, May 4, 2010
I use these dumbbells 3 or 4 times per week! They sometimes stick a little during adjustment and can be slightly testy to set back in the rack on occasion. But, I don't find myself bothered by it. Generally, this set is easy to use and are a great addition to my home workout. I had an issue of the plastic bezel breaking on one of the dumbbells when I put it down (somewhat aggressively) on a strange angle. This was pretty much my own fault for not being a little more careful with them. But the customer service sent out replacement parts in less than 2 days! So, in retrospect, I would recommend these to others. But, if you do purchase these, be sure not to be too aggressive with them, especially when working out in the higher weight range (45~60 lbs).

3.0 out of 5 stars Assembly Challenge/Alignment Issues, July 6, 2011
# March 21, 2013 Update:

After using these for a while, I'm in the market for a better set.

2. I'm tired of having to fiddle with the weights when trying to set them back in their rack. The weight plates that are left behind in the rack tend to tilt to the side because the stand does not properly hold the loose plates in the upright position. This makes it hard to place a barbell back in the stand. The tilted weights don't line up properly and get caught on the barbell end assemblies. Often I'll have to put one weight down so I have a free hand to jiggle the loose plates back into alignment to get the barbell to properly set back into the stand. When you're doing tightly-timed Tabata workouts, you don't really want to have to stop your pace to do this.

I'm removing one more star from my review because of these issues (was 4 stars, now 3 stars).

Currently in the market for a better adjustable weight set....

# July 6, 2011:

I received this item about a week ago. The booklet that came with the item was not written very clearly, so assembly took some trial and error. As stated in another review, the kit did not include enough washers for the assembly, so I had to provide some of my own.

The dumbbells have stickers, 3 on each end, that are supposed to show what lever settings to use for different weights. As shipped, the settings were all completely wrong. For example, setting the levers as shown on the stickers for 60 pounds ended up with 5 pounds - just the opposite of what it should have been.

I figured out that the stickers were (1) on the wrong sides of the dumbbells (left stickers were on the right side of each dumbbell and vice versa), and (2) the stickers were also upside down. This was a factory assembly error. Once I figured out what sticker belonged where and adjusted them correctly, the lever settings worked properly.

The weights seem to operate well. However, I did not expect to have to solve a couple puzzles first in order to be able to use them. I'd have given the product 5 stars were it not for the assembly and sticker issues above. I would recommend this to other users, but be prepared to spend some time getting this item put together properly.

1.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, June 24, 2011
Got these Turbo dumbbells since the price seemed like such a good deal. The packaging for the product was quite good with lots of styrofoam. Unfortunately the product is just not very good. The stand is pretty lame. It is really short meaning that you have to bend over quite a bit to grab the dumbbells. Not good for the back. It is also not well engineered since the center upright flexes and wobbles at the lightest touch when the weights are on it - too flimsy. The other issue is that when you lift the handles and are not using all the plates, the plates that are left behind don't stay totally upright making it a bi*** to get the handles set back down. Things get all tilted and wedged most of the time. I am also really surprised at the super thin plastic used for the selector levers and the handles overall. They will probably break off easily. The bells don't weigh what they should and don't even weigh the same. The foam rubber grips slip and spin when you hold them. These are going back. Going to have to spend more and get the Ironmaster Quick Locks.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5-lb increments, not 2.5, February 17, 2010
Overall, a nice adjustable barbell set. The pictures don't really do it justice, as it looks a lot more like a real set of barbells than a jigsaw puzzle in person. My only gripe is that the description says it's adjustable in increments of 2.5 pounds. It's actually 5-pound increments. The 5-pound increases work fine for me, but for a female or a youngster not looking to bulk up, 5 may be too much at a time. Love the look and feel in general, though.

4.0 out of 5 stars good buy, February 6, 2010
My husband and I bought them for a our basement "gym". This stand does not take up a lot of room and they are easy to adjust to the weight you want. They are easy to handle. We did our research and chose these and it was a great choice. The customer services was great. We ordered them online and they arrived within a week in a few different boxes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Performance Fitness Systems TB560 Adjustable Dumbbells, February 10, 2010
Overall I am happy with the product. My only issue is sometimes it is not easy putting the dumbbells back on the stand. They get caught up in the weights that were left on the stand. The slots should be a little deeper to prevent the weights from flopping around when the dumbbells are removed. Other then that they work good, and I recommend this product for anyone in the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Weights, June 11, 2011
For everyone that says they do not enjoy these weights, their is someone that does. I am one that enjoys them. They give you more weight than the average adjustable dumbbell and they are a lot cheaper than everyone else. They seem very dependable / 2 years no problems and going.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›