I have read, been through training on, and now applied for several years in the workplace the principles taught in this book and I can tell you first hand that it is not just relevant, but highly effective in real-world usage.

Published on February 19, 2008 by C. F. Todd

2.0 out of 5 stars Could make people feel like animals
Daniels' book provides some great examples of how not to manage, and sure, rewarding and congratulating employees for a job well done is always in order. However, this book basically propogates classical conditioning in the workplace. Sure, it probably works for bottom level employees or simple hard labor tasks, however, anyone with a high school education could very...
Published on November 4, 2006 by Michael Hedges

4.0 out of 5 stars After reading the negative reviews, I had to chime in...with a real-world perspective, February 19, 2008
This review is from: Performance Management: Changing Behavior that Drives Organizational Effectiveness (Hardcover)

I have applied these techniques in formalized plans for individuals and groups of employees ranging from engineers to salaried management, to hourly front-line employees, all with great success.

This book is the foundation of my approach to Lean in the workplace, and I teach the basics of the ABC's to my leads, front-line supervisors, and point-people in helping them deal generally with people and their behavior, and I can tell you the success I have seen attributable to these principles is real and lasting.

It has shaped my own personal mangement style, and helped drive high levels of morale in my personally-managed work teams and in my family. I purchased a related book, "The Power of Positive Parenting" and my wife and I have used it to help us get our kids through their teens.

I have been able to pinpoint and correct specific detrimental behaviors as well as shape the culture of work groups. I have seen improvements in all facets of business from safey to productivity and quality of the work. I have taken employees who were in the process of being "worked out" off their positions and helped them turn into high-level performers (and this with both engineers and manager/supervisor level employees, not just hourly). In short, I have taken it seriously, worked to apply it and change my style, and I have seen it work.

I did rate this as a 4 since the clinical text-book style of this book can make it hard to do much with it if you have not had the accompnaying classroom training, but I still highly recommend it. If you can, get into one of the classes at the Aubrey Daniels institute in Atlanta, GA. It is well worth it. If not, read it, take the time to work through your own case-studies, following it step-by-step, and stick with it until it is just the way you work with people. The results can be amazing.

In all fairness, it is hard at first to seem sincere, since you are trying to apply a system to managing people, so it can come across as wooden and formulaic until you really get the concepts. But the key is involving people in the process...almost letting them know up front you are trying something new and would appreciate their support. They will see the value soon enough, and then it becomes ingrained and you are off and running.

It may not be a case-study in the latest brain-science, or whatever, but it works, and for a business book, that is all that matters.

I think it makes more sense to see if it works in real-life, rather than just listen to an academic review of the subject matter, since this is meant to be a real-world text, not just fodder for a graduate level class for people whose only goal is to teach graduate level classes.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Performance Management Authority, April 1, 2006
C. Brown (Beautiful Vermont) - See all my reviews
Daniels provides the most important explanation of performance management out there. As Director of HR for a mid-sized service-based organization, I can attest to the theories in Performance Management as being nothing but clearer, easier to apply, and more effective (simply superior) to those contained in the other seven or so books I've read on the same subject. The information presented in Performance Management will motivate your employees to set higher goals and achieve superior results; better yet, they will actually enjoy doing it. This book is truly essential for any manager or supervisor in search of improving their employees' performance, and, in turn, organizational success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, December 19, 2012
PK (Quincy, MA) - See all my reviews
Everything I hoped for. As someone somewhat educated in applied behavior analysis I found some of the intro tough to get through. At the same time, the examples used are with staff and management so even reading that was worthwhile. Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars R+, January 27, 2012
With reservations I slowly embraced Dr. Daniels work over 20 years ago while working for Eastman Kodak. I was completely won over to the R+ lifestyle after seeing hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings coming from workers that months earlier could not give a dam about quality. Along with ideas and training from visionaries like Edwards Deming, working with R+ is a great way to create quality products. Kodak has fallen on hard times because it did not stay current with technology. Unfortunately for many, Kodak has lost it's way. When everyone in a organization is on the same page, the work environment in any shop will turn into a very rewarding place. Thank you Dr. Daniels.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Well Written, May 3, 2014
I`m studying Performance Management in school but I`m finding this subject to be so instrumental in my own job and relationships with others. This text is an easy read and at times I find myself saying, "I knew that!" but its such a crazy in depth amount of study and observation that went into the writing of this book, I find it to be an outstanding and entertaining read.

Psychology is an interesting subject and of all the courses I have taken, this is perhaps the most enlightening one concerning human behavior. Even if you`re not into Psychology and just want to know why humans (and animals for that matter) act the way they do, buy this book, read it, and use it.

In the end, performance management is about improving performance which in turn improves an individual and organization. Its all good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Necessary reading for any manager., February 15, 2014
Understanding human behavior is fundamental to good management. This book takes behavior analysis and applies it perfectly to the business environment. This is the best book I have read on management and a must have for any manager.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, March 10, 2013
Easy to ready and very informative. Great guide to consulting in businesses. I would recommend it to others in the field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written & user friendly, May 14, 2012
I purchased this for a class & am grateful for the lower price on Amazon. This truly is a how-to book that breaks concepts down into operational language. I am in a Behavior Analysis program, but this text is easily readable by professionals without a BA background as the concepts are well defined and supported by case examples. I recommend the supplemental reading required by the course, "Analyzing Performance Problems: Or, You Really Oughta Wanna--How to Figure out Why People Aren't Doing What They Should Be, and..." which is replete with case studies that operationalize the concepts even further. I have to admit it is frustrating to read such great theoretical action plans for improving HR through PM and then seeing how far we have to go in the traditional system that is still having a love affair with punishment models (even within my own organization). These concepts should be embraced by school systems as well as in the business sector.

5.0 out of 5 stars Throw out your sticks and buy some carrots, November 16, 2011
Basic human behavior - we do what we are rewarded or reinforced for. This is the textbook for how to apply this scientifically in the workplace. Our company has been using these principles and been an ADI partner for over twenty years, and it is part of what makes this company special. Daniels hits a home-run in explaining the science of positive reinforcement. One can apply these principles at home, school, work, or in any environment where you have an interest in bringing about the proper behaviors. Great examples and lots of detailed information on how you can implement in your workplace. Highly recommended to managers of all levels within virtually any organization.

4.0 out of 5 stars PM, February 11, 2007
P. Matthews (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
An update on a behavorial analysis classic. Good foundation to learn concepts behind Performance Managemnt implementation. Well written and easy to read.

Used & New from: $39.94