5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGED EVERYTHING
I've never had good gums. They've always bled. As a result, the second I left my parents' house at the age of 18 I stopped going to the dentist to avoid the terrible pain. During a span of 10 years i'd gone in for a cleaning exactly once.

Published on December 20, 2012 by dopeness

1.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Through The Hype - Watch Your Wallet
What follows is my opinion after studying the claims surrounding this product. I also have included an essentially free alternative from Dr. Keyes, of whom they seem to think so highly:

Published on September 23, 2012 by rwizard

5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGED EVERYTHING, December 20, 2012
This review is from: Periogen "Hygienist-clean" Tartar Removing Oral Rinse 3 oz (Health and Beauty)

About 2 years ago my gums were hurting so badly that I decided to go to a dentist. I had so much tartar and infection beneath the surface of my gumline that my roots were deteriorating. I was logging 6s and 7s in the dental probing. I immediately got a scaling and planing. This was a horrible and painful experience, but I was told that with a strict regimen of brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash that everything would get better.

It did not get better. My gums would keep getting infected. My dental pockets kept getting bigger. I hypothesize that they were so deep that nothing I was doing at the time could really help. My dentist told me i'd need to undergo an expensive procedure where they rip your gums down, scrape everything clean, then sew your gums back together. I could not afford this. I got smart and turned to the internet.

Due to my gum issues I was supposed to get a cleaning every 3 months. After starting Periogen I noticed a decrease in infection within one week. I felt so confident because of this (and because of the glowing reviews for this product here on amazon), that I did not go in for my next cleaning until today, the day I write this review. This was approximately a 10 month span.

My dentist was quite impressed. Usually the probing for pocket depth made my gums bleed. They did not at all, and my pocket depths were between 3 and 4.

The only problem is that you MUST be vigilant. I use Periogen 5 times per week. Also initially i had some trouble wielding the 90 degree pik pocket attachment for the waterpik. It took me about a month to finally be sure that I was really hitting the periodontal pockets correctly. I set the waterpik pressure to a smidgeon above 1.

No con to using this product holds a candle to the peace of mind in knowing that my gums are ok, that my teeth aren't going to fall out anymore, and that the only dental cost I will have going forward are my biannual cleanings. I am a real person and this is my story. I declare this product to be a life-changing product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think it's helping, February 6, 2011
I just didn't know how to review this product since it's only one part of a new oral hygiene regime I have started. I have a tooth that was severely damaged in an accident almost 30 years ago. This tooth was almost completely knocked out but through oral surgery put back in position with the warning that it would eventually be lost. I started to notice what I now realize was tartar and redness in the gum surrounding that tooth. Thinking that this was it...the tooth was finally going to fall out I left that spot pretty much alone. The tartar got worse and the gum started receeding. Don't remember why but I was looking at some photos of tartar and suddenly it hit me...that spot was tartar and the redness probably had nothing to do with the previous injury. I did tons of research and found this product which from the chemistry seems to make sense....but I also started using other products at the same time which also reduce tartar and prevent it's buildup. I can't say for certain it's the Periogen but I can say that 2/3 of the tartar I could see are gone now and the gum looks completely healthy again. Not only that but the gumline that looked like it was receeding has "grown back". I know that these things are not supposed to be possible according to the dental profession however I also take their view with a grain of salt...if products you can use at home are really effective they don't stand to profit. I will continue using the Periogen and the other products that in combination to this point have caused the reduction of tartar. I don't really give a hoot what any dentist has to say.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cutting Through The Hype - Watch Your Wallet, September 23, 2012

I began researching this product because I was interested in using it on my dog. I noticed "angainor"'s review containing a suggestion that shill reviews and comments in favor of this product had been placed. This development increased my interest in learning more. I want to suggest that anyone considering purchasing this product, which is presently selling for roughly 10USD an ounce, (although it appears to be made up of common and cheap ingredients) do their own research and draw their own conclusions, but here are the things I think I have learned. YMMV.

They assert that the product is recommended by Dr. Paul Keyes, Former US Dental Director, NIH. Here is what I read about him in my research.

Dr. Keyes was apparently a staffer at the NIDR (National Institute of Dental Research), however, at least in my searches, I found no evidence that he had been its director. I'm not saying that he wasn't, only that I can't find evidence that he was. Dr. Keyes retired from NIDR in 1981, and the article in which this is mentioned refers to him only as an NIDR staffer (People,February 14, 1983,Vol. 19,No. 6).

Dr. Keyes was 66 when he retired, making his current age (if he is still living) 97 years. If Dr. Keyes is living, and if he in fact endorsed this product, we have no idea if he was compensated for the endorsement, or if, at age 97, he still has the mental acuity and currency of expertise to make such an endorsement meaningful.

If Dr. Keyes was nominated for a Nobel Prize, it does not appear to have been a successful nomination. In fact, most of the mentions I find of Dr. Keyes seem to come from the makers of this product, including 100% of those I found which mention a position of Director, or a Nobel nomination. Furthermore, this nomination is supposed to have occurred 56 years ago, and was therefore apparently not for this product or the research or theories of this product. Dr. Keyes' most significant professional achievement was reportedly in regard to the formation of caries, and if there was a nomination it would likely have been in this arena.

I should state that Dr. Keyes does appear to have been a talented and successful researcher, and I mean no disrespect to him in anything I say here. Whether he has had anything to do with this product, and if so what the circumstances were, are questions for which I have no answers.

It seems that Dr. Keyes had in fact developed the underlying concept used in this product late in his career, but he apparently did not do a lot of research on it, reportedly stating that he didn't have time to do long term research. Their were two short term studies, one in 1973 and one in 1981. The concept of this regimen was reportedly greeted with some controversy, but there were reportedly also positive indicators in the short term studies. It is worth noting that Dr. Keyes expected that the patient would be working with a dentist. It is also worth noting that this seems to have been intended as a therapy for existing disease, possibly in combination with short term use of antibiotics. It does not seem it was intended as a prophylaxis.

Here is Dr. Keyes' formula:

Dr. Keyes "salt-and-soda" regimen, which he stresses should be supervised by a dentist, consists of four simple steps:

*Mix two tablespoons of baking soda (or, for people with high blood pressure, Epsom salts) with enough hydrogen peroxide to form a thick paste.

*Work the paste around teeth with the rubber tip on the handle of a soft-bristle toothbrush.

*Massage the gums and gum margins with the tips, then brush teeth.

*Follow with a warm salt (or Epsom salts) water rinse done with a Water Pik. Then run fresh water through the Pik to prevent salt damage.

Moving on from the Dr. Keyes material, there are some things in the product description, and in some of the comments left in reply to angainor's review which trouble me:

There is a claim of a patent for this product, but the patent number is not offered. I would love to have the patent number for further research. I did take the trouble to do a brief patent search, but found nothing which seemed to remotely resemble this product. Perhaps Periogen will respond with the patent number - if there is one. If they do, it is a development I will welcome.

There is an implication that the product is based on a trade secret, but to my understanding, the concept of trade secrets and patents are antithetical. Patent protection is given in exchange for revealing the fundamental details of an invention in the belief that such an exchange furthers progress in the long run. The legal protection offered is the incentive to the inventor for sharing this information for the greater good of society. So, which is it, patent or secret formula? Are they simply trying to persuade people that they can't mix up an effective alternative on their own? After all, with this kind of markup, people have a lot of motivation to home brew a substitute.

Much mention is made in the product information of pH levels. It is indicated in the description that low oral pH may adversely impact dental health. And, a lot is said about the pH of the product itself. It appears that we are supposed to infer that the pH of this product will improve our oral health by raising ambient oral pH. But the pH of a rinse such as this would not be expected to have any long term effect on ambient oral pH. Anything you eat or drink may temporarily impact oral pH in either direction, but such changes are transient. Dissolving a Tums tablet in your mouth periodically during the day would likely do much more to maintain a favorable average oral pH, and will provide your body with calcium in the bargain.

It is suggested that although the ingredient list has been shared with you in the product description, there is (apparently) some magic ratio of ingredients, which if altered, even slightly, will render the formula useless. This seems to me to be absolutely absurd, and sounds like the patter of a carnival pitch man to my ears. Besides, if the product is (supposedly) under patent, why not share these details?

These are just some of the things which concern me, but I think this is adequate to express my doubts about Periogen.

So what is my overall take? The product MIGHT have some small benefit, but I see lots of smoke and mirrors in play. A lot of seeding their remarks with reasons why a customer has to be very patient and go through a lot of bottles of unbelievably expensive product before they can even think about claiming it doesn't work. I see a lot of word games that evoke images of carnival barkers trying to part a "rube" from their money. If I wanted to try the concept, I would use the Dr. Keyes' regimen. One thing I personally would not do is shell out 30 times the value of the ingredients for something which appears to be vastly over-hyped. The description and comments from Periogen feel disingenuous to me at best.

One person's opinion, make your own call, and caveat emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked for me, July 21, 2013
Didn't matter how many times or how carefully I brushed with my dentist-recommended Sonic Care tooth brush and flossed each day, I still had problems with tartar. I still have baby teeth that I need to preserve as long as I can. And I was tired of dealing with the tartar, the excessive brushing and flossing every day with detail attention to exact angles, and a condescending attitude from dental hygienists that implied I must somehow not be doing what I said, or being really bad it despite my ability to demonstrate the technique in my efforts to make sure I got it right. It's a chemical thing. I produce saliva with the right calcium-types of content to help tartar have a field day.

Doing research for better solutions, I happened on Periogen. I was skeptical, but given the potential payoff, I was willing to invest in a bottle to test it. Inflammation, and particularly the inflamed gums that accompany gum disease, have far stronger links to heart disease than cholesterol. Studies also reveal that when people get older, the two things they wish they had taken better care of are their teeth and their feet. For me, this provided additional motivation to solve the problem and test a solution.

The difference was really surprising, and certainly more than I set as my standard for a repeat purchase. I can feel the difference. Can't remember the last time, when going in for my next teeth cleaning, that I could still feel all the individual lower teeth with my tongue. My teeth are so clean! I have a family member who has the same issue, only with more advanced gum disease. After a couple months of testing, I sent off a Waterpic and Periogen to her too. She checked first with her dentist, who urged her to start the Waterpic at the lowest setting, but said the Periogen couldn't hurt her - go ahead and give it a try. She's experiencing similar results.

Others have written that you can make this yourself, but frankly I don't have the time and don't want to risk it not mixing right. For the cost of a couple pounds of coffee, or gasoline saved by riding my bicycle more to run local erands, I can avoid far larger dental bills and have far better health. For me, this is a good investment in large dental bill prevention and better health.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm convinced it works. I wish it wasn't so pricey. Chemistry at work!, August 22, 2013
I purchased this item and it did sound too good to be true. However, further research has indicated that certain products are used consistently in the dental industry to prevent tartar buildup. These chemicals release the ionic bond of calcium salts (dead, calcified dental plaque, aka dead bacteria) that attach to the dental enamel. There are a few chemicals used, but they all have similar names. Sensodyne tartar control (Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate), Lysterine Whitening pre-rinse (sodium phosphate), Plax pre-rinse (Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate), and most tartar control toothpastes have these compounds. Periogen has Sodium Tripolyphosphate and Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate.

Some other reviews are very misleading and frankly uninformed (focusing on baking soda or other ingredients that probably have absolutely nothing to do with the way the product works). Use of many tartar control preparations results in gradual softening of tartar (particularly the pre rinses, as I have not had that much luck with toothpastes). With Periogen, it seems that the ingredients are in higher concentrations, and you can truly feel the difference. The key is to use warm water and follow the directions. I have been able to control trouble spots and I see tartar come and go, depending on how often I use Periogen.

My teeth have never felt smoother, and my gums healthy. I like to use Periogen as a pre-rinse (warm water) while I am in the shower--just swishing it around... possibly using a toothbrush around the gumline. I also have a WaterPik but find the small amount of water (1 cup) goes by too fast, so I use the WaterPik with warm water after the rinse. The WaterPik is only indicated for deep pockets with tartar buildup. I don't have any deep pockets but I did have nuisance tartar around the gum line in the lower front teeth--it's gone now. Try it or try the other products that help control tartar as well. Think of this one as a concentrated version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, something to put in your WaterPik that works..., October 16, 2014
Bill Michael (Elizabethtown, KY USA) - See all my reviews
Bottom line, this product "works" for me. Once each day before brushing I mix one tablespoon of Periogen in a one liter container of hot water from the tap and run all of it through my WaterPik WP60 unit to clean between my teeth and along my gumline. Then I brush with a famous brand of toothpaste followed by a final rinse with my favorite mouthwash. In the four weeks since I have started using Periogen I have seen the stained tarter built up around my gumline recede. The tarter is actually coming off. Periogen really is working for me. It is a shame I didn't discover this product years ago as it has been a struggle to keep my teeth and gums healthy since I hate going to the dentist. The only issue I have is that the product is expensive at about twenty-five dollars for a three ounce bottle.

5.0 out of 5 stars much the same as what it feels like after a professional cleaning, August 13, 2014
A small blue plastic scoop is included in the bottle; this amount nearly equals 1/4 teaspoon of standard measuring spoons, perhaps slightly more. As directed, I used 2 "scoops" of product in a full reservoir of water, twice daily. After 8 days, I knew it was working because I could see the spaces between my teeth, and feel every tooth surface and crevice, much the same as what it feels like after a professional cleaning. The product delivers as promised. Very, very pleased and will continue this great addition to my dental routine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Went through four jars, no results at all, October 8, 2013
I have a little bit of plaque on my bottom front teeth. Most of it is small amounts near the gum line, but between the center two teeth a good amount has migrated up the teeth. Its not very old, certainly not a year old as claimed in the "before" picture. I've gone through four full jars of Periogen and haven't noticed the slightest decrease in the amount of tartar on my teeth, even the small spots haven't changed a bit. I've mostly rinsed with it as the bulk of the tartar is above the gum line. I've also used a waterpik hoping for better results but that didn't change a thing. The instructions say "for aged and tenacious tartar use 2 scoops twice a day" instead of just one as recommended by default. I've been doing this the whole time and still no results. I'm really surprised at how many good reviews this stuff has. Perhaps those experiencing results used it while the tartar was still soft or maybe they don't even know what tartar actually is. Or maybe they were paid, I don't know, but from my personal experience, this stuff is nothing more than snake oil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Periogen is Amazing, January 7, 2014
I had a routine dental cleaning and exam six - seven months ago, brushing and flossing are part of my daily routine. During that exam the hygienist said "Your gums are not in good shape -- I will see you in four months". During the periodontal check, I had mostly 4s and a couple of 5s. Instead of returning for a "deep cleaning" as suggested, I studied tartar/calculus formation online and came across Periogen. For the past few months I've continued daily brushing and flossing as usual, but then began daily use of Periogen in my WaterPik. I can't say I've noticed any huge visual difference, but I'm not a dental professional. Today, however, I visited my dentist for an exam and cleaning. I anxiously awaited the results of my periodontal check and ... all 2s and 3s! Not only were these results better than my most recent exam, but we compared the latest results to an exam three years ago and there was still improvement. Sounds to me like dental pockets, etc., are reversible -- with Periogen. I'm a fan!

Update on 10.10.2014: The Periogen success continues: I just had another routine exam/cleaning and my dentist said he found very little build-up on my teeth. The entire cleaning procedure took less than thirty minutes, and once again, measurements of 2/3 all around. I'm sticking with Periogen and highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars It Seems To Be Helping, June 15, 2012
I purchased this product on April 23, 2012 along with the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser, so I've been using it for going on two months, but I have to admit I haven't been consistent with my usage. Some days I've used it twice a day, some days only once, and I've skipped some days entirely for various reasons. Even so, I am definitely seeing a difference, enough so that I purchased a refill two-pack before my first bottle ran out. I actually saw some improvement in the first week of using Periogen. I don't have dental insurance, so I try to do everything I can to take care of my teeth at home. I have to say that the one product that has made the biggest difference for me with my teeth has been the Sonicare toothbrush I purchased in January 2010. That toothbrush is excellent at removing tartar and really helps polish your teeth! But even so, I have some pretty stubborn tartar build up on the backs of my lower front teeth, which seems to be a problem area for a lot of people. I wanted to give myself at least 90 days to work with the Waterpik and Periogen, to see how much of an improvement I could make on my own before I went to the dentist. I had some minor bleeding before I started the Periogen, a sure sign of some gingivitis going on. The bleeding has completely stopped since using the Periogen. I use two scoops of Periogen to one cup of warm water. My teeth look and feel so much better, and I attribute that to the trio of products I'm using - the Philips Sonicare FlexCare toothbrush, the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser, and the Periogen. I will update my review once I come to the end of my third bottle of Periogen in another month. But for now, I have to say this product does seem to be making a difference. It softens the tartar and makes it easier to brush or scrape away and seems to help keep the plaque at bay.