on July 23, 2013
I recently discovered the Perixx brand of peripherals on Amazon. This company is based in Germany, but it's products are manufactured in China. On my never ending quest for the perfect wireless keyboard for mobility, I have tried a number of them with widely varying results.

I bought a Perixx Periboard-806 folding Bluetooth keyboard a couple of weeks ago and was rather disappointed. Although very nicely built and folds into a nicely compact package, the keys and the spacing were just too small for my hands. I couldn't type with it and returned it to Amazon. Those used to netbook size keyboards would probably feel at home with the 806.

Then I ordered this keyboard, the Periboard-805L. This one is advertised as having desktop sized keys and is a little larger than the other folding keyboards Perixx makes. One bonus is that it's quite inexpensive, some $5-10 more than the AmazonBasics wireless keyboard. I would expect to pay more for it.

The build quality seems to be very good. It is light, but has a solid feel to it. The keys are much larger than the Periboard-806 and larger than the AmazonBasics. It is full desktop size. Yet, it folds to a thin and compact package. It feels great. The scissor-switch keys feel like those on a regular notebook, which means that they feel positive and have enough travel to give good feedback. No mushiness. Feels like the keys on an Apple Wireless Keyboard. Most of this review was typed on the Periboard on an iPad. Finished on my Mac.

This is a good folding keyboard for touch-typists, except for the Backspace key, which is small. I sometimes hit the = key instead of the Backspace. With some practice, one can find it. I have one suggestion for them. Instead of making the less frequently used Esc key double-sized, it would have been better if they made the Esc key the same size as the number keys, and doubled the size of the Backspace key.

There are no special keys for iOS functions, unlike the AmazonBasics keyboard. But, neither does the Apple Wireless Keyboard. The number keys double as function keys, which is fine, but won't help on the iPad. I may find that there are function key equivalents to iPad functions, but I'm not banking on it. The tab key on the left side is a bit tiny, but I guess it'll work with a little look see.

It paired up easily with the iPad. On the left edge of the keyboard, there's a on/off button, a small Bluetooth connect button, and a micro-USB port for recharging the built-in Li-ion battery. A short USB cable is provided for that. There are indicator lights for the caps lock, Bluetooth connection, and battery charge indicator. I guess the latter lights up when a charge is needed.

The keyboard is held closed by magnets. When it lays flat it is no more than 5/16 thick. There is no lock in the open position, so you can't use it in your lap. Not a problem for me. There is a gap in the center of the keyboard for the hinge, and some of the keys next to the hinge are oddly shaped, but with a little practice, typing is no problem. I was pretty much able to touch type on it within a few minutes of powering it up.

Perixx does not provide a case for it, so if you slip it into a bag with your iPad, you might want something covering it so it doesn't scratch the iPad.

I think I've found my dream folding wireless keyboard. The only downside is that it doesn't have iOS function keys, but that's not enough to deduct a star. I'm impressed with the design, the functionality and usability, and the quality feel. Only time will tell how long it holds up.

Highly recommended.

You can get more info at [...]

UPDATE (Nov 2013): I emailed Perixx several months ago suggesting they do something about the undersized Backspace key and the oversized ESC key, and not having iOS function keys. They replied that they are considering fixing those issues and making an iPad/Mac specific version of this keyboard, maybe for release in 2014. Keep your eyes peeled for it. I will, because I'll probably buy it when they release it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 5, 2013
Although this keyboard is quite portable and can be folded up and slipped in a case, the keyboard layout has a fatal flaw. There are two issues:

1. The Escape key is twice as wide as it should be, so each time I try to hit the "1" key (or type an exclamation mark), I hit escape instead, which usually quits the application I'm working in.

2. The right shift key is too narrow, meaning you I often hit the up arrow instead of shift, which is similarly annoying.

This might not be an issue for non-US users, but for those accustomed to the standard en-us layout, this is *really* a problem. Take a very careful look at the physical layout of the keys before you buy this thing.

Aside from this, there are some more minor flaws:

3. The On-Off switch is recessed so much that it's hard to control if you don't have fairly robust fingernails. I'm sure this was done in an attempt to avoid accidental power-ons in the case, but it makes it hard to use.

4. There is no lock to prevent the keyboard from folding back up again. This is not an issue if you're typing on a desk, but if you want to type on your lap, you really need to put a hard book or something similar under the keyboard to prevent uncomfortable folding.

It also *may* present a problem connecting to certain android devices, requiring you to download additional keyboard layout software (an additional couple of dollars). I had no problem on my Nexus 7 tablet, but my Samsung Stratosphere would not function with the keyboard without downloading this additional third-party app.
on September 22, 2013
I was very excited to see what little keyboard could do to make me more productive, while staying portable. When receiving the device, I was generally impressed with the build quality of the device as the folding functionality worked good. When attempting make this work with my new, 2013 Nexus 7, I realized that after pairing, there was no option to actually select the keyboard for use. I found this a bit strange as previous keyboard I have used allowed me to select the keyboard within Android settings.

After searching on the manufacturers website, I noticed that there was a problem with some Android devices that required (and recommended by the manufacturer) to install to allow for mapping keys. I found this even more strange that this may be the only fix?? I tested the suggested app and it worked moderately well with some tweaking needed. At this point, I was OK with using this as a "workaround" even though the full app was $3 to get the full functionality (spacebar was mapped by the developer to denote a demo version). Although I found it ridiculous that I needed to buy something else to make this keyboard function right, I ate the cost as the keyboard was intended to make things more pleasant when using my tablet for long emails etc.

The last straw was actually with the application, in that the space bar, even in the paid version could not be mapped correctly. This is the not the fault of the keyboard maker, but the fact that the solution was to simply say "We'll have someone else fix it" was unacceptable to me. I since returned the keyboard.

The position of this company to simply say that they don't have a solution for their own hardware is beyond me. I hope that this helps someone, with at the very least, the new 2013 Nexus 7, to think twice before buying this product.

EDIT:
Since writing this review, due to a shipping error with UPS picking up the device for return, I held onto the device long enough to have the developer of the 3rd party application to get back to me and help with the keymapping problem. Since then, the keyboard has worked great for what I needed it to do.

With the annoucement of Android 4.4 Kitkat and loading it onto my tablet, the keyboard now works without needing the third party application. The application is still needed if you want to do custom keymappings, but for normal use, it is not needed.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 5, 2013
This keyboard is exactly what I was looking for. It is compact and very portable, folds open easy and flat, the keys have a good click and are exact, the size and positioning is just right for someone who can type 10fingers, the construction is good quality. Pairing with the Note2 was very easy. And for $25, a great find. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED !!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 28, 2013
I was looking for a keyboard to use with my iPad mini when needing to type documents. I wanted something compact for travel (folding), but not so small as to be awkward (no mini keys). I wanted a keyboard that was responsive without effort (unlike the roll-up silicon style). The Perixx is exactly what I had in mind! Spacing is near the same as a standard full size keyboard, the keys are easy to hit rapidly and set-up was simple. Yes, a few keys are placed slightly different to accommodate the fold, but nothing you cannot adjust to.
I highly recommend this as a portable key board!
And customer service is great. I had a question about charging and they responded by email within a couple hours.
on July 7, 2013
I'm a minimalist when it comes to carrying stuff and generally laugh at folks when they pull out a laptop and tablet at meetings. I'm sure they have function and add value to their contribution, but in all honestly they seem more like props to bolster their status in the meeting. I use a Galaxy Note II for pretty much everything, writing notes with the S-pen as needed, even snapping pictures for mind maps and notating them for future refference. The rub, because there is always a rub, was the abiliy to write at length using the pen or on screen keyboard. As we all know, there are just some discussions that require more than two lines of touch screen typed response. Try writing a couple of paragraphs with a touch screen and you'll soon want to give up and just call the intended recipient.
What to do, What to do? Well it was answered at one of the next meetings when not only laptops and tablets came out they also produced Bluetooth Keyboards (at their current rate, I'm expecting rolling gig boxes to be introduced with a prerequisite one hour set up time prior to the meeting). I was sitting next to one of the younger guys when he produced his and asked him if I could take a look at it. He unpaired it from his iPad and I paired it to my Note II. It was quick and easy and I belted out a lengthy email to one of our clients in a snap. After giving it back to him and expressing my thanks, I started hunting. Tyler's keyboard was nice, but it was huge. I needed a folding keyboard. Something that wouldn't take up much real estate in my travel bag, but was large enough unfolded to allow for a the stream of conscience writing I have a habit of resorting to.

(Fast Forward though multiple amazon reviews of other folding keyboards and feedback from Google+ posts)

The Perixx 805L had the lowest number of reviews, but on the flipside they were all 4 star plus. Having read my share of reviews for other purchases, the 805L reviews were all genuine and thought out. The keyboard was delivered last Tuesday and has been absolute pleasure to write with. It's functionality has surpassed simple emails and gone on to everything from spreadsheet tinkering to editing a power point presentation on my Note II. I highly recommend this keyboard, the little guy kick some serious tail and I look forward to putting it through it's paces. For more check out my review at:

[...]
on April 18, 2013
Excellent keyboard of very good quality. Magnet closure. Easy Bluetooth connection. Has micro USB cable and chargeable lithium battery. Does all the basic keyboard stuff. Connected to my iPad and iPhone equally well. German engineering even though made in the Far East.

Added 6/9... After using the keyboard on the plane etc, I find it actually a little better than I first experienced it. The layout of the keys at the folding point has a bit more space between the G and H key location giving your hands a little more room to work, better than the other roll up type keyboards, and feels more like a desktop. the only quirky things are location of delete key. you need to glance down occasionally to stay oriented.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I had purchased another keyboard for my iPad mini, but it was just too small for my fat fingers. (I touch type, and had to think about every single keystroke, which really crimped my style.) After searching around for another one, I decided to try this. I love it. It folds to a very small package that is easy to cart around with my iPad. I just took a trip and used my iPad like I used to use a laptop while I traveled and this keyboard made it possible. I do have a couple of minor issues, because of the fold, the "n" key is in a slightly odd position, as is the backspace, but I got used to both fairly quickly. Also, it doesn't "snap" open, so if I want to hold it in my lap, it collapses. Before my next trip, I think I'll get a velcro strip to put on the back side, so when it's folded open, I can "lock" it in to place.

Other than that, I couldn't be more pleased.
on April 10, 2014
I'm satisfied with the performance of the Periboard 805L. It does the job I need it to do but some users might object to the weight and clunkiness of the keyboard for being truly mobile. The side power button is recessed and it takes attention to power the keyboard on. The right shift key is smaller than I would like and it took time to break in the unit from lazy "b, n and v" keys. After looking at the alternatives, I made the right choice getting the Periboard 805L because of its long battery life and durability.

I did a lot of research on folding bluetooth keyboards before selecting the Perixx Periboard-805L. Smart phones can now handle most business communications and content generation so my goal was to find a keyboard that was convenient to take along, but with a key size where I could be at least nominally productive in my typing speed. I needed something small enough to carry in my "go bag" for client calls and short trips, but durable enough to be my full time keyboard if I decided to use my phone for journal entries or working on a major document, pamphlet or even a book. Beyond that, I wanted what everyone wants in a mobile device: great battery life, small footprint, cross-platform connectivity (iPhone, Z10, Nexus 7, iPad Mini) with the WOW factor of my recently dropped and broken iGo Stowaway. If I wasn't an idiot, this review wouldn't exist!

Size and Weight
When you take the Perixx Periboard 805L out of the box you quickly notice the keyboard's heft and sharp edges. Perixx is a gaming peripheral company from Germany and this product seems to be an addendum to their desktop gaming line. The German designers on this model hadn't realized that soft corners, light weight and unwasted space are the norm for successful products. While I can live with the size, the sharp corners are a problem. One would think there would be relatively little effort and no cost to round off the corners. I had to find a soft case (nintendo dx) for it so it wouldn't damage anything in my bag or get hung up going in or out. At 8.9 ounces, it may be prohibitively heavy for some users, but to me the weight indicates it is either sturdy or has a big battery or I'm a fool.

The physical size was bigger than I expected even though I took the time to note the measurements before ordering. Perixx markets the 806L with an aluminum case, but from the reviews I was afraid the keys would be too cramped. Besides, my wife loves the little heart shaped rubber feet on the 8 corners on the outside of the housing. Compared to a Kindle Paperwhite in a Moko Cover Case the Periboard 805L is 1/8" thinner, about 1/2" shorter and 1" narrower. It's sort of unfair to compare the size of the keyboard with an iPhone or other smart phone. The keyboard is massive. Not surprising if your goal is full size keys in a fold-able, portable keyboard.

Keyboard Layout
If you're looking for a full sized key layout that won't require a lot of adaptation from a standard keyboard, this is it. The chicklet keys are comfortable with good spacing between them. Although there is no backligting on the keys, the "F" and "J" keys have little raised dashes at the bottom do you can still locate the proper finger position in the dark. The keyboard has a split space bar, but it is symmetrical with a small gap so I didn't even notice the split until today when I wrote the review. The right side of the layout has arrow / FN pagination keys at the bottom. I have to slow down to locate the Right-Shift button while typing. Although it is directly below the <ENTER> key, it is only 2/3rds its size and my fat fingers often get into the up-arrow / FN page up key if I'm not paying attention. Adhesive dots on this key allow me to locate it by touch, but right now I still have to remember when I'm going to right shift and think to locate it. Personally, the sacrifice is justified because of the generous size of the rest of the keys.

Controls and Usage
The controls, on/off, discovery button and charge port are all on the left edge of the housing when unfolded. On the left side of the keyboard housing there is a 1-1/4" flat area, presumably containing the battery and radio and home for the LED indicator lights. Using the micro-USB cable to charge only takes about 20 minutes with an amber indicator while charging, green when finished. The keyboard must be open to see the indicators. Opening the keyboard reveals that it is held shut by tiny magnets and tiny pegs / holes on the outside edges for accurate mating when closing. The integrated hinge is simple and durable as it is built into each half of the keyboard housing. The unfolding mechanics are elegant but quite simple, there is no resistance or complication; it simply works. Open and held by one side, the other side of the keyboard hits the hinge stops at around 5 degrees past parallel. Given the heft and quality of materials, Perixx could have included a "stop" in the hinge to hold both sides rigid and parallel. Because of the droop, you have to use the keyboard on a perfectly flat surface like the top on a book or back of a notepad - a good idea with any portable folding keyboard.

Note that there is no stand for your phone or tablet. I KNOW it's obvious, but for the first week or two I'd end up with the Periboard paired with my host phone or tablet and find myself standing there thinking I was missing something and I was. On the road you either have to take a stand or figure out a way to prop up your phone or tablet so you can see it easily while typing - I can tell you the propping thing doesn't work on airliners or in the car. Bluetooth performance was rock-solid bluetooth radio. I had no problem connecting to it to Apple, Blackberry, Windows or Android devices. Turn of the host's bluetooth if you're going to connect to a new host, turn on the Periboard, press the "discovery" button on the side, enter the PIN and you're off and running. The Periboard 805L doesn't include a button to toggle the soft keyboard on the mobile device - common now even in barcode scanners.

The keyboard will time out to conserve battery power. If you're on a phone or tablet the soft keyboard will automatically appear at the timeout. Pressing any key on the Periboard 805L will reconnect the keyboard and the soft keyboard will disappear. I confirmed this in Blackberry 10, iOS and Android 2.2. In my testing of battery life, I've used it for around an hour each day of 5 days, off and on throughout the work day without it running out of power. Charging is quick using a standard micro-USB which conveniently saves me carrying and extra cable as it's the same as the one for my Z10 and Nexus 7.

Controls and Usage
I find it prohibitively difficult to turn the 805L off and on. The power button is small and recessed into the left side of the keyboard. Although the top of the button is flush with the side and had little ridges, it is difficult to grip. I have to use the tip of my finger nail to move it to the "on" position and find it impossible to move just using the pad of my finger. The short switch throw means that once you toggle the button, there isn't enough feedback to indicate success. The blue indicator light on the face of the keyboard lights when you the Periboard 805L on, but it's out of view. I can't even locate the button when the keyboard is open and flat on a table. I have to open the Periboard up and bend the left half upwards so I can find and manipulate the power button. Over time I can imagine that the pressure pushing down on the top of the switch and against the "ON" stop may cause it to fail. Hopefully, it will fail before the generous 2-year warranty is expired.

I almost returned the keyboard in the first week. Out of the box, some of the middle keys (B, N and V) required more pressure than the others and was a productivity killer. Given the superior build quality and materials of the Periboard 805L, I couldn't believe the problem was a design flaw. At first I thought it was me and worked with the assumption that I could teach myself to press those keys harder. Nope. However, over time I realized the lack of responsiveness was just stiffness from manufacturing. By pressing those keys repetitively (with some mashing), they soon gave up their stubborness and now work normally.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I was looking for a folding keyboard with bluetooth connectivity, for use with my many tablet devices and phones. Although I had never heard of the Perixx brand before, after reading through the previous reviews, I decided to give it a shot and I'm very glad I did.

PROS:
* Keyboard has a nice, solid weight and feel to it.
* Feel of each keys stroke is crisp and clean. Slightly reminiscent of the mechanical IBM keyboards from way back.
* The rubber feet combined with the weight, keep it firmly in place on a clean, level surface.
* The spacing between keys is very good, allowing for a very comfortable home row typing hand position.
* The battery life is excellent.
* Charging from a wall socket is quite quick.
NOTE: Charging from a 2.0 USB port is noticably slower but, that's to be expected.
* Pairing is easy and fast. Devices paired to: (1) 10" Toshiba Thrive, (2) 7" Galaxy Tabs (Gen1), (1) 7" Galaxy Tab2, (1) 7" Nexus Tablet (friends), (2) T-mobile SGS2 phones and, (1) T-mobile Vibrant phone.

CONS:
* Short shift key on left side of keyboard
* Short back space key

If you're in the market for a bluetooth connected, mobile keyboard, for use with your phone or tablet device, you'll thank yourself for saving the money getting this keyboard instead of spending more for one of the big, brand names like Logitech or Microsoft. Even at 40 bucks, it's a steal.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations