Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Perl Cookbook
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 2, 2015
Man! This like the Perl Black Book, has continuous examples that keep you typing away and repeatedly so that you see different angles of each Perl features, such as different ways of writing out arrays, subroutines, etc...
on February 3, 2015
These "animal" books are always among the best!
on January 12, 2015
good product, like it.
on September 6, 2014
In keeping with the O'Reilly pattern of publishing new editions that don't verbatim repeat or diminish the value of earlier editions.
I now find great values in the two most recent Camel books, and the new Cookbook is excellent!
on September 2, 2014
These examples are practical which I've been able to use directly or modify.
Also I find it easier to learn bigger concepts using these many examples.
on July 12, 2014
Sure helped me out with snippets of code doing exactly what I needed.
on May 18, 2014
This book definitely helps you to attain the results for your Projects faster and in a more efficient way.
It recommends you useful Packages and shows you how to use them in your Projects.
For me it helped me very much to realize 2 Projects with very good Results while I am completely new to the Perl Programming Language.
What I was missing are new Programming Technologies as JSON. Perl already offers support for JSON but it is not covered yet in this Edition. So certainly this Book will need a new update with new Tools that the very active Community has brought up for new Technologies.
on April 10, 2014
It seems that the Perl Cookbook is in dire need of a 3rd Edition-and hard copy. Programming Perl, Learning Perl, Intermediate Perl, and Mastering Perl do this on a regular basis with every new edition adding immense information and more tips. I did own the first edition of this book and I am waiting for the 3rd edition!
on January 8, 2014
as expected - you have to understand the basics of cooking before being successful in the kitchen - and you have to have some proficiency in Perl before being able to use the Perl Cookbook -
That said - everything is easily understood and referenced - with great practical examples
Perl Cookbook is full of recipes for common classes of problems. Hundreds of them. Best of all they come with explanations and discussion of the thinking behind them. As a Perl programmer this is a time saver.

I don't want to reinvent the proverbial wheel.

Like cooking food, the Perl Cookbook's recipes are easy to modify, adapt and extend to solve your specific problems. In some ways like Effective Perl Programming(2nd Edition) Perl Cookbook is a tool for a kind of Perl thinking and approach to problem solving.

When I'm trying to get something done that I know has been done before I reach for the Perl Cookbook first. Even if it's not quite what I want I am more comfortable editing something into what I need than starting from scratch. This is just what I wanted.

The 2nd edition is updated for more modern versions of Perl and this is a plus, of course.

I hope this is helpful to someone.