on April 19, 2008
Permatex had, in my opinon, a decent product. They changed it and now it's just terrible. Do yourself a favor and go try out a competing product called Fix-a-Windshield. I reviewed that one, as well.

Here's what Permatex changed for the worse:

1) No more suction cup. Used to have a clear suction cup through which you could watch bubbles coming up as you pumped out the air. No longer. Now it's an opaque pedestal which you have to stick to your windshield with a 2-way adhesive patch. Can't see through it, and can't verify that the crack has been filled before removing the pedestal.

2) Not enough resin. Used to be the syringe was filled with resin. Now a little tiny tube of resin is included, and it is not even enough to fill the bottom of the pedestal.

3) No more pumping with the syringe. This was the only effective way to get the air our of the crack to be able to fill with resin. Now there are pre-set positions for the syringe: 1) lower-notch: vacuum out the air. 2) upper notch: push in the resin. This could be regarded as an improvement IF you could see through the pedestal to be able to verify that the repair was complete.

4) Adhesive patch! Ugh, HORRIBLE!!! I was very careful to follow the directions. I COULD NOT REMOVE the pedestal and keep the adhesive patch from tearing apart. So, this left a mess on my windshield, as I tried to get the pieces of adhesive off...all now gooey with resin, running down the windshield.

Why did they mess with this product? I've repaired 3 stars on this windshield with their older product. Now they've lost a customer.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 11, 2008
I was surprise to see so many people have problems with this product. I had a pretty big bullseye. I'm sure a bullseye is easier to fix than a star damage but the product worked for me. And now after using the Permatex, its pretty much disappeared. It's definitely not noticeable anymore. I actually like the syringe technique of sucking out the air bubbles first and then using air pressure. It makes perfect sense.

The negative is that it's for only one use. I have 4 cracks that I want to fix so it would be very expensive to fix them all. They should given more resin, another adhesive disk, etc. for atleast 2 uses.
on December 12, 2013
UPDATE 4/13/15 - 1 year 5 months....crack has NOT SPREAD! I'm shocked that it has lasted this long. Here comes another summer season, lets see what happens.

UPDATE 8/7/14 - It's been 8 months and the crack has NOT SPREAD!
================ Original Review ======================

HEADS UP: READ THE CLAM SHELL BOX - There is NO Mention of STAR DAMAGE or CRACKS anymore (see my picture and compare to original picture)....

Amazon price is/was $10 and local autozone was $13, but I needed it NOW before the rain comes. I have a combination pit and 5/8" star damage from a rock.

Picked up Item# 09103 at autozone, get home, open the box, read the directions and there is NO MENTION of "STAR" damage or "Cracks" anymore on the box, or in the directions! Moreover; in bold, it reads "The Windshield Repair Kit repairs bullseyes only, not exceeding 1-1/4 inch"! The date on the instructions shows 2013, so what did I purchase?

If I had noticed that "Star Damage" was deleted from the package description, I would have been more prudent in buying this product and done more research, like into the rainX product. I think I would have been better protected as an Amazon customer.

Amazon AND Permatex both have the same information showing good for bullseye, star and cracks, but what I picked up was different. Disappointing. Is it a California thing?

READ THE BOX BEFORE you open it - Check for BULLEYES ONLY.

DESPITE everything I wrote above, here's what happened when I used it.

UPDATE #1 - I did steps 1-8* late afternoon on Thursday, then finished Steps 9-10 the next morning when the sun was out. 3 hours in partly cloudy sun, remove the strip and shave. Unbelievably, the legs of the star I measured as 5/8" have disappeared, I can see one other leg, but I have to be in just the right spot to see it. I'm happily surprised. The pit is now filled looking like a grain of rice.

Another 2 hours in the sun and off to the carwash (the brushes and soapy felt fingers type that drags over your car). Any guesses? I'm very happy to report the crack did NOT propagate. Still can't see the star legs I originally measured.

I don't look at this as a permanent repair, but rather biding time until after winter, travelling to some ski destinations where they cover the road with gravel where I'll probably catch another chip.

* = Note: in Step 6 when you lock the plunger into "vacuum" mode, if you go into the car and shine a flashlight to the hole of the adhesive disc, you can watch the air bubbles get sucked out and up into the syringe. It says to do this for 10 minutes, but at 10 minutes, I still saw bubbles getting drawn up and out. I went 15 minutes and still saw a few bubbles getting sucked out. I can't help but wonder if I should have waited until the bubbles stopped.
review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2007
I had tried it twice (two different packages from local Kragen store) for repair sesame size chips on my windshield. After carefully follow the instructions and put the repair under the sun for more than 3 hours, the chemical did not cure at all and the crack/chip is still there.

Don't waste your money.
on November 29, 2005
I have a very small (approximately 0.25") star and crack in my windshield caused by a rock. Far less than the 12" this product is supposed to work on. I used this product and followed the directions for my type of crack. The clear stuff took well over 1 hour at 51 degrees F to dry, and I can still see the crack in my windshield. It just doesn't work.
on August 4, 2008
I drove around with a tiny chip (less than 1/4 inch) in my windshield for over a month... I went out and bought this product, and five minutes after putting the little apparatus on my windshield, the crack actually extended a good 7-8 inches in two different directions. I should've just left it as it was.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2013
A decade ago, I paid nearly $100 for a "windshield technician" to stop a rock-induced windshield crack from spreading. It worked and I was happy to pay the price. At the time, though, I thought there has to be a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) alternative. Well, here it is. I just finished a fairly simply one hour process that almost completely hid another windshield crack. An excellent product! In fact, for every car owner, this should be an item in their tool kit, along with the extra wiper blades and headlamp bulbs!

One important note: the written instructions are not as clear as they could be. Luckily, Permatex has produced a short video on YouTube which more clearly shows how to use the product. Watching the video gave me a much better idea of how to do the repair. When I returned to the written instructions, I could then better visualize each step. Just search YouTube for "Permatex Windshield Repair".

In the DIY arena, I would rate this repair as relatively easy. There is nothing difficult in the repair, but you have to follow the instructions carefully.
on May 4, 2010
Got a star chip while on the freeway, just less than an inch wide or high. Checked reviews on various brands, watched YouTube vids, chose Permatex in the end. I'll agree, tube of resin should be see through to know how much your using before the last step. Anyhoo, followed directions to the T and have to say, all that's left of the chip is a small blemish. Exactly what Permatex warns you about on the package. Now I don't have to worry about it spreading and having to replace my windshield for $200 or paying a repair guy to come out for $100. Tip: Unfortunately I used most of the resin before the last step, so a lot was waiting for me when I removed the pedestal and adhesive. Take the adhesive and use it to spread remaining resin over the "almost repaired chip", then place yellow film over it taped on both sides. Move car if need be to direct sunlight, use razor blade to clear out air bubbles, have a beer and wait 15 minutes!
on November 10, 2009
I usually don't write reviews but after reading all the negative reviews for the Permatex and have personally tried it to fix my windshield, I decided to do this.

I got a small crack on my windshield by a small flying object kicked up by the truck in front of me yesterday morning when I drove to work. The crack was fairly deep and was about half the size of a dime with 4 or 5 "spider legs", the "legs" were small too, the longest was about 1/3".

After extensive search on the web, I decided to buy the fix-a-windshield package since it got pretty good reviews while the Permatex got relatively poor reviews. After work, I went through 3 Walmart, 2 AutoZone and 3 PepBoys stores, just could not find the fix-a-windshield. So I picked up a Permatex package from the last PepBoy store I visited, talked to the salesperson there and he confirmed the package should work.

Before I started my fix work, I watched the Permatex video on the YouTube as another reviewer suggested, that helped tremendously on understanding the steps and procedures. I watched twice just wanted to make sure I understand all the details.

I then followed the steps (also described on the instruction guide came with the package). The only modification to the instruction is for the last step that I used a UV light to cure the resin instead of leaving the car in direct sunlight since I was repairing the crack at night in my garage. The end result is not perfect (I can still see a small mark of the fixed area, but the mark is very small, much smaller than the original "crater") but all the spider legs are gone, the windshield surface is smooth. Most importantly I probably don't have to worry about the cracks keep expanding (if the manufacturers' statement is true), that really gives me some peace of mind.

The only downside of the package is that the tube for the resin is not "see-through" so I really did not know how much I have poured into the syringe. The instruction says to pure 3/4 of resin to the syringe, but if I can't see the contents in the tube, how would I know how much I have poured in and how much is left?? I almost did not have that last one drop of resin to do the step with the yellow curing film - I have to cut the tube wild open to get that last drop since I had poured almost all of the resin into the syringe already in the early step. That was a close call, but can be easily avoided if the tube is see-through.

All in all, the product works if you follow the instruction closely. Again, watch the Youtube video before you start, that helps.
on May 6, 2013
I've commented twice on this product, Permatex car repair kit, so decided to write a review.
This morning, I noticed my yr old ding now had two cracks in it. One was maybe 1/2 in and the other
is quite a bit longer, maybe 2 inches. My concern was to prevent the cracks from getting longer and or spreading. I got a quote from a professional and I thought, 'Why not do it yourself and save $100?'
I came upon Permatex, read the reviews at another website and then watched the training video at the Permatex.com site. I went out and got the product at Advanced Auto Parts. Back home, I watched the video again to make sure I knew what I would be doing. (having not done this before). Before I started, I familiarized myself with the kit. Yep, all parts included, even the razor blade and alcohol pad. I placed a cloth at bottom of my windshield, had everything ready and onward I went.
I did not experience any problems, except for placing the pedestal not quite 'square' over the sticky tab. However, this was not a big deal. I stuck to my guns on the timing..first 10 minutes, then 20 minutes and so on. Result? The ding for the most part is a tiny speck and the smaller crack is gone.
THe larger crack remains, but as I said earlier, I may buy another kit for that. Right now, I am pleased as punch and I can live with that.
PS I did have a hard time removing the pedestal from my windshield..which was a concern. What if I'm applying too much pressure to the glass to remove it and the windshield cracks even more?? What if, what if! THis may sound daffy, but I applied reiki to the pedestal and with a bit more work, it came off. Ta-Dah!!