5.0 out of 5 stars Pero, Inka, Cafix review...
Published on January 14, 2011 by Suzanne

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd bitter taste; not like Postum.
If you are looking for a substitute for the discontinued Kraft hot drink mix Postum, Pero doesn't taste much like Postum. Postum had a much smoother, slightly sweet taste. Pero has a bitter flavor, which to me tastes like stale coffee. If you are a coffee drinker and want to cut down on caffeine, a good decaf coffee tastes much better than Pero.

By the way,...
Published on February 13, 2011 by Marcus

5.0 out of 5 stars Pero, Inka, Cafix review..., January 14, 2011
Suzanne "Suzanne" (LE CLAIRE, IA, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
I bought a case of all three products, Inka, Pero and Cafix in order to compare them. Honestly? They are all the same, so go with whatever is the cheapest. I think I did like Cafix the best, but it may be a mental thing with the name at least sounding somewhat like Coffee. There is little difference in all three, they look identical with only tiny coloration differences. All by themselves they do not taste like coffee and if you are a black coffee drinker? Pass, because you will not be satisfied with the taste. It is very bland all by itself. BUT, if you like cream in your coffee? You won't even notice the difference between coffee and these products within a week or two you will forget you are not drinking coffee. I am PERFECTLY happy with all three products and will continue to drink them;I will choose by PRICE due to the very similar make of them all. The cans all read the same ingredient wise.

2.0 out of 5 stars Odd bitter taste; not like Postum., February 13, 2011
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)

By the way, Postum was made from from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin made from from corn. The ingredients of Pero are malted barley, barley, and chicory; so it is quite different.

UPDATE 2013: Postum is being made by a new company, but is now more expensive than it used to be in grocery stores. It isn't available in many local stores yet but is available from some on-line merchants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pero, February 3, 2009
Cricket (Norton, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
Since Postum was discontinued we have been searching for another alternative coffee product that was similar in taste. Pero is it. It has a wonderful roasted flavor.

5.0 out of 5 stars great alternative to coffee, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
great for the afternoon when i don't like to drink real coffee. amazon has the best deal on pero! our local grocery store charges almost $12 for one container....i make a "gourmet pero", one heaped tea spoon pero in a large mug, boiling water....add foamed whole milk (shake milk in jar that" all it takes) sprinkle some sugar and cinnamon on top, stir....voila.....better than starbucks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Coffee Substitute, April 4, 2014
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
As a recent Mormon convert, I've kicked coffee and was desperately searching for something healthy to replace it. After reading all of the fantastic reviews of Pero, I had high hopes. Initially, I was somewhat disappointed; the container tells you to use 1 tsp. Pero per cup but that just makes for light brown water with no actual taste. After a lot of experimenting, I've discovered that using half water, half milk and about 3 TBSP. of Pero tastes best. Sometimes I also add a little agave syrup. IMHO, Pero tastes nothing like coffee. It's an alternative, decent tasting, warm drink and it's an acquired taste. I've learned to like it, and drink it daily, but it most definitely doesn't resemble the taste of coffee.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tastes great, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
I gave up coffee for health reasons, but I missed the taste so much. Pero tastes great; better than instant decaf. I've always taken creamer in my coffee and use it with this as well. One cup satisfies my coffee cravings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Coffee Substitute, March 13, 2011
TexasEK (Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
This is just a great coffee substitute! It made my 28-year caffeine habit withdrawl SO much easier. I'm not sure if this product will taste as good to those customers who don't use Half & Half or some type of creamer in their coffee, but with it, it's delicious.

It didn't lessen the symptoms of caffeine withdrawl, but after a few weeks of drinking Pero, I don't miss coffee at all. I'm a Pero customer for life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pero, January 28, 2011
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
My husband was a big fan of postum for many years,being he is alleric to caffine..when they took postum off i found pero on line and bought one.Well it turns out after all the years drinking the other he said he would have chosen the pero over the other all the way..he says it is great tasting,,so i am off to buy more Have a great day

5.0 out of 5 stars The not coffee, July 25, 2010
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
PERO is a tasty hot beverage that is not coffee. No caffeine, No acid, No Problems. It is not coffee, and it is not a taste-alike replacement. However, if you like that brown hot beverage in the morning and you can't drink coffee, it is really nice. I wish I could buy it at my supermarket so I wouldn't have to pay so much for shipping. This site wants to say that I bought it from Amazon, however, my purchase was processed through Amazon, but because it was not an Amazon product, I paid approx 50% more in shipping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised!, July 17, 2010
This review is from: Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce (Grocery)
Read some reviews on Amazon and purchased Pero at a local health food store without much hope of liking it. Wow, was I surprised - It's GOOD! Ok, it's so not like my beloved Starbucks Verona (not even close), but it is good and I enjoyed having a cup.

I needed to give up caffeine due to health reasons (I have an occasional iced tea or green), but in general - must not over do the caffeine. It's nice that Pero will allow me a caffeine free coffee like beverage :-)

Pero Instant Beverage, 7 Ounce