4.0 out of 5 stars A "Legacy Achiever" Shares His Insight on Self-Motivation
Dave Durand has proven his ability to motivate - he is a successful senior executive at the Cutco Company, a syndicated radio personality, a highly sought-after motivational speaker, and a successful author.

Published on May 21, 2006 by Thomas M. Loarie

2.0 out of 5 stars book review
Haven't really been able to go through this book. It doesn't hold my attention too well. Wouldn't really recommend it.
Published 17 months ago by Patricia E Bilkey

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A "Legacy Achiever" Shares His Insight on Self-Motivation, May 21, 2006

In "Perpetual Motivation," Durand lays out his formula for life-long motivation. He developed his formula through introspection and studying "Legacy Achievers" - those who find continual success in all aspects of their lives. "Legacy Achievers," build reputations, generate motivation, and enjoy the experience of success. And as Durand goes on to show, we can learn from them.

Durand begins by outlining his formula:

Motivation = Balance + Influence + (Creativity + Humor) - Runaway Self-Esteem

With stories and metaphors, he shows why each plays a role and how they can be incorporated into our daily lives. Examples include:

Balance - The Surfer: The more the surfer practices balance, the better prepared he/she is for the unexpected...with and the more motivated he/she is to surf regardless of the seas. ...just as oceans are unpredictable, so are the events in our lives. Each of us must work on our balance all the time so we can be prepared for the unexpected.

Integrity-Based Influence - People are the most unpredictable variable affecting motivation in our daily lives. Some of the people we interact with "get in the way" of our plans for success, and others help us along. The way in which you manage your relationships will either fuel or squelch your level of motivation. The way in which you exercise your influence is a major factor in the health of your relationships....

Creativity - Conformity can suppress our creativity. Creativity helps us maneuver around obstacles that block motivation.

Humor - Humor has three important benefits...

- Better health

- Greater acceptance of mistakes - ours and others

- Increased ability to influence others.

Durand knows that being motivated is easy but staying motivated is a challenge. Life is fraught with twists and turns...Staying the course is challenging...Durand in "Perpetual Motivation" provides insights on how to motivate ourselves so we can weather the storms and stay the course. This quick, easy read is for those who have difficulty with sustained motivation and want to become a "Legacy Achiever."

5.0 out of 5 stars Doing More with the Same, June 6, 2006
This book came highly recommended to me by my boss, whose opinion I hold in high esteem. The book was actually an easier read than I had thought, moving swifty from chapter to chapter, with good points throughout. Sometimes you read books where good insight and opinion is few and far between. This book helped me think about business concepts through a lense I never thought possible. It has changed my perspective to help me realize that I can do it and its not that hard. Succeeding though business and life is simple by balancing the six plates and following Dave's suggestions. I now believe I can achieve more with the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a Truthful Book on Motivation! Wonderful Buy., January 15, 2001
J Neises (Marshfield, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
Great book for anyone wishing to look at all aspects of their life and how it impacts motivation. Durand talks about the truths and misconceptions of self esteem ("selfish-steam"), balancing our lives with family, financial responsibility, health, social contributions, education, and faith. I appreciate the many personal stories shared in the book and how Durand speaks from experience.
As one of the quotes from his book states "Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value".

5.0 out of 5 stars Order Perpetual Motivation Today, Create A Better Tomorrow, June 2, 2006
From the opening pages of this book, I was hooked. Dave Durand shares his deep and broad understanding of what prevents us from having what we want in our lives, and provides you with simple and proven strategies for sustaining motivation while creating the life you've always wanted. So much more than the typical business or self-help book you may have read in the past, Durand's focus is on The Pursuit of Life's Perfect Balance. He teaches you how to achieve success in the areas of the six balnace points of your life: Family, Financial Responsibility, Health, Social contribution, Education and vocation, and Faith. Durand's blueprint for balanced success lays out your plan for a more fulfilled, balanced, and rewarding life. If you desire to have, do, and be more in your life, I highly recommend you read Perpetual Motivation!

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get any better than this!, January 15, 2001
Rhancha Connell (Oakville, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
Dave Durand's book Perpetual Motivation was outstanding. It was very easy to read and understand. I could not put it down. It tied in our every day lives and showed us how we can have what we want. His personal stories were humourous and made his points seem real and valid. There are so many motivational books out there, it's tough to choose the right one. I would recommend this book to everyone. You'll be glad you took the time to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a Slacker's worst enemy, April 20, 2000
Neal Webb (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
Perpetual Motivation is unlike any motivational/self-help book I've ever read. Imagine, a book that actually bucks the "feel good" trend of the self-esteem craze, and gives people a reason to get off their behinds and do something! Durand has hit this one right on the head. The book is an easy read, with great anecdotes and a nice blend of common sense and insightful advice. If you're a slacker, this book will take the slack right out of your life. If you're someone who always wonders why "other" people succeed but never you, pick this gem up and give yourself a gentle but much-needed kick in the pants. Bravo Mr. Durand ... and keep 'em coming!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perpetually inspired--a great purchase!, January 15, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
This book should be read by anyone who wishes to find balance in his/her life and who desires to be an example to others. Dave clearly illustrates his ideas for living a balanced life and for pursuing happiness through selflessness. Dave's equation for motivation is very creative and inspiring. The stories and humor shared in the book make for a quick and entertaining read. It was refreshing to read such a great book with a different and real perspective on self-esteem. I did not want to put the book down. It was also neat to read a book on motivation that includes faith and its importance and relevance to our drive in life. I like Dave's description of "integrity based influence," and I would love to be one of the "legacy achievers" to which Dave refers. Such a great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The open door... The is truly a better guide!, July 29, 2001
"lrbarnes" (MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
Mr. Durand truly has illuminated the essense of motivation... gaining power and remaining empowered.
The loss of motivation is simply no more than a mind that has been defeated by either fear, conflict, or confusion.
Learn from Dave how to set and strenghten your foundations and then enjoy the fountain of success that will pour forth.
I consider this book to be the cornerstone of one's search for self improvement.
Enjoy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great page turner!, January 15, 2001
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
I have read a dozen or so "Motivational" books, and I usually have to "motivate" myself to keep going. This book kept me so interested I read it in one sitting! The chapter on "Selfish Steam" is one every parent should read. I found myself nodding my head and reading paragraphs at a time out loud to my wife. The book was inspiring, positive, optimistic and funny. I will pick it up over and over to review when I need a boost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful wisdom I put right to work, May 11, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Perpetual Motivation (Paperback)
Dave Durand's book is a coiled spring, wound tight with power capable of changing your life. A tremendous amount of wisdom and compelling new ideas for getting the most out of life are packed into this slender volume. In these confusing times of warp-speed change, it's a must read for everybody who wants to put a firmer foundation under their life.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Perpetual Motivation: How to Light Your Fire and Keep It Burning in Your Career and in Life
$16.95 $15.26