1,173 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Updates about Perplexus construction - Dec 2009
First off, my whole family loves Perplexus!

I won't drag on with a description of the product, as other reviews have done this. But I will offer some updates regarding some of the previous reviewers' concerns about the construction of the toy.

Published on December 13, 2009 by Dr. M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perplexus compared to Superplexus and Magic Intellect Ball
Published on October 31, 2009 by K. Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Updates about Perplexus construction - Dec 2009, December 13, 2009
Dr. M. (New Fairfield, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
First off, my whole family loves Perplexus!

1: The "watermark" stamp seems to have been changed. There still is one, which now reads "Perplexus," but it is not frosted; it is clear like the rest of the ball. Granted, there is some distortion looking through this from some angles, but it does not seem to impeed play.

2: The swing arm on ours works fine.

3: The hemispheres are screwed together tightly and look as though they will hold up to abuse. (But I will admit here that we have only had this toy for 2 days. If it breaks, I'll post a revised review).

4: The numbers along the track are still very difficult to see without very bright light, and even then you may have to tip the toy in a direction you don't want to in order to see the numbers. However, most of the pathways are easy to follow without the numbers, and once you've followed a path, it's unlikely you'll forget the way, so you really only need the numbers once.

Overall: my whole family (including the 5 year old) is in LOVE with this toy. We've had to set up rules about how long anybody gets to play with it, just to make sure the rest of us get our turn. I'm buying several as Christmas presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pefect!!!, December 14, 2009
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
This toy is great for all ages! My 3 year old is surprisingly VERY interested in it and it's so fun to watch him concentrate! He can easily get all the way past #25 and is getting better every time he plays with it. My husband will sit down with it for easily an hour (unusual for him) to try and conquer the maze. My favorite things about it: 1-when the kids are playing it they are concentrating SO hard that they are quiet and engaged for a LONG time. 2-no batteries required. 3-no annoying noises. 4-anybody can play. It's PERFECT for Doctor visits (who likes to wait at the dr's office with nothing to do?), trips in the car, and just hanging out at home! We keep one in the car (for trips AND when we are somewhere like an event that not everyone is interested in watching) and one at home.

Anytime ANYONE is over at our house and this toy is out, they are completely drawn to it. Adults and kids will pick it up and before too long are so engaged with it that they can't hold a conversation because they are concentrating so much. It is WONDERFUL to see children so focused on something other than a video game!!! Almost everyone who has played with it at my house has purchased one shortly after.

I would DEFINITELY recommend this toy to ANYONE! I'm buying 20 of them--family Christmas gifts and friend's birthday gifts for the upcoming year. I have NO problem with any part of this toy and am 110% satisfied with the durability and quality of this product!!! Whoever came up with such a toy is genius! The price is very low for the enjoyment and fun everyone will get out of this product!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perplexus compared to Superplexus and Magic Intellect Ball, October 31, 2009
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
Perplexus is sphere in which you guide a small silver ball around an obstacle course. This is an almost identical copy of the Superplexus. The Perplexus and Superplexus are both 23 inches around. The only differences between they two are that the Superplexus has a completely clear globe, digital timer, more solid construction and is a bit heaver. The magic Intellect Ball or Magic Intennect Ball are also similar toys which are 95% the same as the Perplexus. The differences being that the Magic Balls have a completely clear globes, two different turns in the course and are only 20 inches around.

Perplexus positives:
The part of the course that is constructed correctly is fun. (All but one part of the course works in mine.)
Nice Colors.

Perplexus negatives:
The swing arm part in the middle of the second section is poorly constructed. In order to make it swing, the screw is too loose which means that the ball can NOT drop into the right place. So, there is no way to complete section Two.

Instead of having a clear sphere, like Superplexus, Magic Intellect Ball and Magic Intennect Ball, Perplexus has a 3 inch across watermark/stamp that says "Buksi" in the plastic on the top and bottom of the ball. When looking through this watermark/stamp the track the ball follows is fuzzy. Worse than that having to look back and forth over and over between the clear and cloudy plastic stamp as I do the maze give me a bad headache!!!!!

What a shame they put that annoying "Buksi" stamp there. If only the globe was completely clear and the swing arm worked it would be a 5 star toy. Best I can give it is 3 stars and I recommend you buy the Superplexus or Magic Intellect ball instead because that have all the best parts of Perplexus with a completely Clear Globe.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun but breaks easily, June 12, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
My son got this when he was 11. It worked fine for awhile, then a piece broke off. I emailed the company several times, no response at all. Now we have the harder newer perplexus, the epic I believe it's called, and again, in less than a week, a piece broke off. Not happy with this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars lost alignment, April 9, 2010
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
It's an interesting toy and time-killer for adults. My 4 year old is also fascinated by it. However in one of the steps where the ball should drop into a "basket", it just stopped working. I guess the few slight bangs from the children knocked it out of alignment. It became frustrating when one step just doesn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Great!, May 1, 2010
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
The 5Star reviews cover it well.
It seems a new version came out around Dec09, correcting some earlier problems. The only thing they couldn't fix [cost?] was the anoying reflections off the surface of the sphere.
It was brilliant of the designers to include a set of 3 "Starting Points" on this single but long path; this means that if, say, a youngster gets to the half-way point when the ball slips off the path, he doesn't have to go all the way back to the beginning but can pick up his path a 3rd of the way in.
It's the perfect childrens' toy because they themselves are training themselves in patience, persiverance and are increasing their own attention span while practicing manual dexterity and developing spatial awareness.
Maria Montessori would have turned green with envy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does well in play testing, November 10, 2011
Mr Maze (South East, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
I am a independent toy and game inventor and purchased Perplexus (Original) for a gift for my nephews this summer. I spent about a week with them on vacation and can tell you that this game was a big hit with not only my nephews but all the adults as well. It is fun to play alone, or as a group taking turns until your ball falls off the maze path. You announce what number you made it to and others try to beat that.
I came across this toy when I was researching for one of my new inventions "Ethereal Maze Puzzles" ( see my profile for more information ). I saw some knock-offs similar to this, but the reviews on them had complaints about quality - so I made sure and got the real deal.

I was not disappointed in the quality. It has good construction and stands up to abuse well. It got dropped several times that I saw and still worked fine. At last report from my nephews, after 3 months of play, it has had no problems.

I would highly recommend this fun game. And yes, by the end of my weeks vacation with my nephews I was able to complete the maze. Also it is still fun to play after you have made it all the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars PlaSmart Perplexus Maze--Love it!!, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
My daughter's teacher recommended this game. They have it in her 4th grade classroom at school and all the kid's love it. My older boys really enjoy it too. It is pretty challenging (at least for me!) Perfect gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Engineering, December 11, 2009
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
This is an amazing feat in engineering! It is easy at times and very difficult at others. There are multiple starting points so that you don't have to start at #1 and keep making the same mistakes over and over. Turning the maze while your little ball is precariously balanced takes practice and patience.

It is a lot of fun and is not a toy that is "done with" in an hour. My kids will go back to it over and over. After completing the maze you can race to beat a time or see if you can get through with no falls, etc.

We took this to a family holiday party and it was the hit of both children and adults.

It seems to be well made but since I haven't been able to get through the whole maze yet, I'm not sure if there are any hiccups in the process.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant idea, mediocre execution, November 14, 2009
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc. (Toy)
This Perplexus ball is a well thought out toy for the most part. It is a three dimensional obstacle course encased within a clear plastic bubble. One must manipulate the thing to move a small metal ball along a mostly singular path. The plane of motion shifts frequently and dramatically which makes the act of moving the ball along very gratifying. It appears that the designer made some last minute changes to the overall scheme by putting a barrier in front of an obvious path instead of eliminating any indications of a path. The difficulty of obstacles tends to increase as you go on, but there is one section in the middle that is particularly difficult compared with later obstacles.

The path is labeled with numbers from 1 to 100, but these numbers are extremely difficult to see because they are very shallow embossings on the plastic. The path is further subdivided into three subsections, and it is easy to pick up at the beginning of any subsection.

Build quality leaves something to be desired. Some of the injection molded parts have cosmetic issues, and the ball as a whole feels like it is going to fall apart at any moment.

Despite these problems, it's still good toy. My three year old is fascinated with it. He can't do the whole thing, but he still tries.

Perplexus Maze Game by PlaSmart, Inc.
$24.99 $20.56