Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Perry Mason: Season 7, Vol. 2
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on September 8, 2012
This review is for the whole set through session 7 disk 1: I am rather amazed at how well these DVDs look on my 55 in Sony screen. With the exception of a very few scenes on disk one of season one, the video quality is much better than it was when broadcast. Contrast and grays are so good that I can almost forget I'm watching black and white TV! The sound is full - as in dynamic range, but mono of course.

As for the content: You either like to watch these old shows or you don't. The formula from show to show is exactly the same and can be tiring after a couple hundred shows, but I like watching anyway.
on December 17, 2012
As an avid Perry Mason fan, I have collected seasons one through seven. I am not purchasing seasons eight and nine. The stories in season seven, especially the second volume, are often too complicated, too histrionic, and too grim. No one in the cast except the Paul Drake character is having any fun. Some stories do not have the Della Street character which really hurts the overall feel of the shows. Raymond Burr is clearly not enjoying it and has lost the "spring in his step" and his voice. I understand we all get older! And I understand the "times they were a changin'" by season seven. Still, I'm going to continue enjoying seasons one through six which still had a sense of humor and stories that made sense.
44 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
There is nothing like the old Perry Mason series. I do not even watch the garbage they have on TV today. I asked my son to give me Season 8 for Christmas!
on February 8, 2013
I have not seen the actual dvds (I did purchase the dvds after posting review- good quality dvds once again by CBS), but I have seen these episdoes on rerun on the ME-TV channel. This season seemed better than season six and eight. The stories were better and contained the good list of guest stars. Among the episodes that I enjoyed were: The Frightened Fisherman(excellent plot) Drowsy Mosquito (with Arthur Hunnicutt (from El Dorado with John Wayne) and Strother Martin), Case of the misplaced shoe box (guest star Billy Mumy from Lost in Space), Case of the 50 millionth Frenchman (Good plot and a quirky character for the client and guest star David McCallum from Man from Uncle and CSI),Case of the Antic Angel (guest star Peter Breck of the Big Valley), Case of the Deadly Verdict (only case Perry Mason lost and a cameo by Ray Collins as Lt. Tragg). The picture quality for this season seemed excellent. The black white had a bolder contrast and less of of a gray look. I'm not sure if it was a better copy of the master or if the film quality and lighting was better in the mid 1960s vs. the 1950s. I thought the first four seasons contained the best work of the series but would recommend cherry picking season seven over some of the other weaker later seasons.
on November 27, 2012
Another great box set of Perry Mason. I wish CBS would tell some one over at W.B. how this work's so we can get 77 Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye on DVD.,
on October 6, 2015
'Excellent series. I bought this because Barry Atwater is in this. Disc 1: The Case Of The Ice-Cold Hands, The Case Of The Bountiful Beauty, The Case Of The Nervous Neighbor; Disc 2: The Case Of The Frightened Fisherman, The Case Of The Arrogant Arsonist, The Case Of The Garrulous Go-Between, The Case Of The Woeful Widower; Disc 3: The Case Of The Simple Simon, The Case Of The Illicit Illusion, The Case Of The Antic Angel, The Case Of The Careless Kidnapper; Disc 4: The Case Of The
Drifting Dropout, The Case Of The Tandem Target, The Case Of The Ugly Duckling
on November 4, 2012
As time progressed with this tv series naturally things changed. This season brought about less time in the office and less time with Della (some shows she doesn't appear in at all) and more time with Paul and Gertie. What I did find were interesting locations similar to season one where we got to see a little bit of 50's Los Angeles. Another thing I noticed was several shows took place in other towns with different prosecutors, judges and courtrooms. The most notable change to me was in Perry Mason's appearance. He appeared much older and heavier and did not appear as charming and vibrant as in other seasons. Perhaps this was due to his health problems.

Clear to me was the definite improvement in story lines. Before this arrived I had begun rewatching season one and you could clearly see how much the characters and story lines had matured.

The quality of the DVD's is excellant. I had had no difficulty with picture or sound. I look forward to the next set coming out and do wish they would not dole them out in partials just like everyone else wishes.
on December 27, 2012
This season has Lt. Anderson largely (if not completely) taking over for the beloved Lt. Tragg, but the quality holds up all the same! Andy was fine, he just was no Tragg... :)

This set also features several episodes where Barbara Hale is noticeably absent...still trying to find out why that was. Della is sorely missed in those episodes, and the certainly lack something important she brings to the show, but it is still enjoyable to watch Perry trap murderers and embarrass law enforcement and district attorneys! It is also kind of neat to see a little more Gertie and to have Paul Drake take on a more involved role to try and make up for Ms. Hale's absence.

As with all of these half-seasons, they are horribly over-priced...but I'm still willing to shell out every so often for my much needed dose of Perry!
on February 7, 2013
Perry Mason Season 7 Volume 2

These fifteen TV shows from 1964 are based on the novels of Erle Stanley Gardner. The books are more complete and informative, they tell about life that is not experienced by most people. The books explain why some things are done, the films only show you what happened. The books tell you about “ropers”, rough or smooth shadows, how to evade surveillance, and avoid leaving a back trail. Some questioned the legality and ethics of Perry Mason’s tactics but the stories were written before modern legal rules. The background tells about life in Los Angeles and America. There is nothing like these dramatic stories on today’s broadcast TV. When was the last time you saw a trial lawyer as a hero? Erle Stanley Gardner was a founder of the “Court of Last Resort” which sought to free the unjustly convicted. Gardner sought to use scientific means to find the guilty rather than using hunches or guesses alone.

The seeming reality of these stories is due in part to characters who don’t look like Hollywood actors. Some of the original stories were modified for TV. The theme music is typical for the late 1950s. Note the style of clothing and culture; ladies wore white gloves. People seldom lock their doors. The prices date these films. One advantage is seeing the many automobiles from that era. How many can you identify? Note the slimness of people, the smoking, and the familiarity with pistols. Watch how the actors express their emotions by their facial expressions. The camera sharpness and quality is excellent, but these films have a higher contrast than in earlier seasons. These stories often use the misinterpretation of circumstantial evidence to provide dramatic effects. The courtroom scenes are usually the Preliminary Hearings and often tell about the law. The titles begin with “The Case of the ...”. Most are not from the novels except those with a year after the title. The cars tell of product placement. Note the use of more close-ups and a darker tone to the movies (“film noir”).

“Ice-cold Hands” (1962); “Bountiful Beauty”;
“Nervous Neighbor”; “Fifty Millionth Frenchman” [Fugitive Nurse].

“Frightened Fisherman”; “Arrogant Arsonist”;
“Garrulous Go-between”; “Woeful Widower”.

“Simple Simon”; “Illicit Illusion”;
“Antic Angel”; “Careless Kidnaper”.

“Drifting Dropout”; “Tandem Target”;
“Ugly Duckling”.
on August 25, 2015
One of my all-time favorite shows. I love every season. Great cast. I don't understand why they can't make shows like this any longer, but they simply can't. Thank God for preserved older shows that we can watch through technology. I haven't had cable for 25 years. I've used a fraction of that money to build an extensive library of old shows that I enjoy watching on DVD. It was the best age of home entertainment, just as it was the best age for music. Nothing better!