Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on October 4, 2011
I've been a Perry Mason "fan" for over 40 years, ever since a local station was rerunning it late at night in the late 1960s/early 1970s. I've taped all 271 ep's from Ch.17 (WTBS/Turner) Atlanta in the 1980s, from another local station in the 1980s/90s, and from Hallmark in the 1990s. I'm also currently watching it twice daily on "Me-TV" as well. And I've been buying the (CBS/Viacom/Paramount) "half-season" DVDs ever since the first half of the first season came out in 2006.

The show is one of my all-time favorites, esp. the 1st thru 7th seasons. The 8th (1964/65) and 9th/final (1965/66) seasons are still good, but in my opinion, not "as" good as earlier seasons. As the mid-1960s approached, two other CBS-owned shows also began to "slip" a bit in my opinion, Gunsmoke and Rawhide. (Have Gun Will Travel and Twilight Zone had already ceased production with 1962/63 and 1963/64, respectively).

I'm very happy that CBS/Viacom/Paramount has continued with the DVD releases, and have just started watching the 1st-half 6th-season DVDs. I have also pre-ordered the 2nd-half 6th-season DVDs from Amazon, and hope that both halves of the 7th season will also soon be out on DVD.

But CBS/Viacom/Paramount has TAMPERED with the closing theme on most of these (1st-half) 6th-season episodes! The closing theme on the 6th and 7th seasons was in "two parts", almost like the 5th season's "two part" closing themes. (Also similar to how Gomer Pyle and Dick van Dyke has "two part" closing themes, which is more like 5th season Perry closings). But CBS/Viacom/Paramount has "re-edited" the two-part closing themes on these DVDs into a "continuous" closing credits/theme. It might not matter to some, but to "die-hard" fans, the "essence" of the 6th season closing theme is gone, with the re-edited version that CBS/Via/Paramount has done to it! At least ONE episode on the first-half 6th-season DVD set still has the original "two-part" version of the closing theme, "Case of the Shoplifter's Shoe" (with Lurene Tuttle, Margaret O'Brien, Leonard Nimoy, Shirley Mitchell, Arthur Batanides, and James Millhollin), and that's probably because this "case" is the same version that was on the 2008 Perry 50th Anniversary special DVD set. (The version on the 50th Anniversary DVD set also has the closing "production side card" with the sketch of the statue of Lady Justice, which really should NOT be there in 6th or later season ep's though! CBS only used that in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th seasons, each with a different fanfare music, and in the 1st/2nd seasons, the stack of books for the closing production title with fanfare music).

The 7th season of Perry had the same type of 2-part closing theme/credits that the 6th season did when originally done by CBS in 1963/64. I sure hope that CBS/Viacom/Paramount will NOT tamper with closing credits/themes for the two halves 7th season DVD sets. It's probably too late to mention the 2nd-half 6th-season since it's due out in just over a month, though.

And, also to CBS/Viacom/Paramount, whenever you release the two halves of the 4th/final season of (Desilu's) Untouchables, PLEASE include ALL "bump" music/titling! The "out-tro" bumps before the commercial breaks at :15, :30, :45 were there in the 1st season DVD sets (both halves), but cut-out of the 2nd and 3rd season DVD sets (both halves), although the FINAL "out-tro" bump just before the closing theme in 1st/2nd/3rd season sets is thankfully still there.

Traditional intro's/out-tro's (bumps) and "billboards", etc. _ARE_ of interest to us "due-hard" fans! And where's the "Statue of Justice" that Perry used as "bumps" before or after commercial breaks too?

Mark
1515 comments|38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2011
No actor can top the performance of Raymond Burr as Earl Stanley Gardiner's Perry Mason. Each TV season gets better and better. Compared with the movie theater Perry Mason of the 1930's and 1940's this series reveals the true character of Perry Mason wrapped in honesty, ethics, and fairness. The quality of the DVD's is outstanding and brings you back to a different time that seems as believable and modern as today.
on October 13, 2011
P.S. Colbert, DVD Verdict --Like leather-bound rows of literary classics on a book shelf, installments of Perry Mason all tend to look the same, if only from the outside.

Sure, most episodes in Perry Mason: Season 6, Volume 1 build to a courtroom climax involving a blurted confession from the real villain, but there are exceptions, including one where "the case" not only never comes before the bench, but develops, unfolds, and is resolved by Perry while he's on vacation!

Certainly, long-suffering D.A. Hamilton Burger (William Talman) sets himself up yet again for the latest in a series of bruising professional defeats, but don't you think it's time we gave credit where credit is due? This guy never prosecutes a case he doesn't believe in, and he takes his lumps so gracefully that as one episode concludes, he actually smiles and says "You know, Perry, maybe for once, I was wrong."

The quality of these restorations continues to amaze, and though there are moments that betray bits of dirt and drop-off, they are just that: moments, and they are rare indeed.

Say what you will about Paramount's insistence on breaking these seasons into halves and not providing extras, but you can't deny that you get what you pay for.

-Full review at dvdverdict.com
on August 10, 2011
BOY! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL DECEMBER 25, 2011. THAT IS THE DAY I WILL BE CURLED UP WATCHING PERRY MASON SEASON 6 VOLUME 1. YES, SIRREE, ME AND A LARGE CUP OF STEAMING HOT COCOA, AN EXPENSIVE BOX OF CHOCOLATE AND PERRY MASON. I AM SO GLAD THAT THERE ARE ONLY 3 EPISODES I RECALL SEEING: THE CASE OF THE BOGUS BOOKS, THE CASE OF THE DODGING DOMINO, AND THE CASE OF THE SHOPLIFTER'S SHOE. THAT MEANS THE OTHER 11 EPISODES WILL BE FRESH TO ME AND I CAN HARDLY WAIT. THE OTHER EPISODES ON THIS VOLUME ARE:

THE CASE OF THE CAPRICIOUS CORPSE
THE CASE OF THE LURID LETTER
THE CASE OF THE FICKLE FILLY
THE CASE OF THE POLKA-DOT PONY
THE CASE OF THE BLUFFING BLAST

THIS VOLUME IS AVAILABLE ON OCTOBER 4, 2011 AND RIGHT NOW IT CAN BE PRE-ORDERED. I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE. AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO VOLUME 2. HERE'S TO ALL OF THE PERRY MASON FANS: ENJOY!
1616 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2011
"Perry Mason: Season Six, Vol. 1" keeps up the quality of the whole series.
Every episode is highly entertaining and the picture quality and audio quality
are top notch.
on December 12, 2011
Another great set of whodunits which neither my husband nor I can correctly solve. We typically stop the playback at the next to last break, discuss the possible perps, make our selections then continue to watch. Usually we're both wrong.

The packaging and quality of the series continues to be very good. We are very pleased with this set and look forward to additional releases.
on August 23, 2012
I bought this for my folks. They cannot get enough of Perry Mason, his great sidekicks, and his quick wit. Every year the newest DVD comes out I buy it for them. They watch each show so many times it is funny. But they are older and have a lot of time on their hands, so it is good for them to have something they enjoy.

Season six has some great episodes. I have watched quite a few of them already, every time I am visiting them, so I have to say we are all very pleased with the boxed set. Always entertaining! Highly recommended for anyone who loves Perry Mason. You will need to collect the entire library! :o)
on August 5, 2013
Raymond Burr worked awfully hard on making this series what it was and what it has since become. It speaks of a different time and a different outlook on the part of many of our people. I am continually amazed by the excellence of these episodes, even in the face of the deaths, illnesses and layoffs of the cast throughout its remarkable run. I think that Mr. Gardner was a catalyst and a resource, but when other actors attempted to play these parts, their shows seem to have been assigned to oblivion. It would be easy to attribute the success of the series to chemistry, talent, skillful working of the plots and such like. But I am persuaded that it because of plain old hard work that we still enjoy these scenes featuring old Fords, one-blink police cars, wooden signs painted by the same person, and two-handed telephones. It appears that Raymond Burr was never persuaded that the shows should have received the accolades that they did. He poorly understood how so many of us then and now felt about the values expressed in the work he and his colleagues did. There is nothing more satisfying than to see good people working under rough circumstances, conducting themselves admirably, and eventually bringing about the justice that we all yearn for. I am about to complete my purchase of the entire collection. It provides a proper setting for my giant tv and booming stereo system. Perry Mason speaks with authority in my home.
on January 8, 2013
I always put on a Perry Mason DVD when I am doing work around the house. Why? Because I have watched them so much that I know the scripts by memory and can visualize what is happening even when I can't see the TV. THis series is a reminder of my younger days and of sitting around the living room around the TV watching with my parents.
on September 11, 2015
I.love this series especially when.it features William Talman as the perfect adversary D.A. Hamilton Berger. The qualitiy of ALL of these.videos in the seresn is phenomenal and makes me.very happy. Thank you, seller, for offering it to me.