Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for the Winter Martha Stewart American Made Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on HTL

on December 1, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Okay, there seems to be two camps on the quality of this novel and I tend to side with the group that finds it better than just okay. My family and I have read the other Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and we always find ourselves wishing for a bit more character development and more background. That being said, Erin is a well-fleshed out character with understandable amount of angst, since she has labored under the life-long misconception that she is mentally ill as opposed to mentally-linked to a vampire. Shevaun (the vampire) is not as well drawn out but the two point-of-views mesh well-enough in the plot for the book to be a page-turning quick read with a mostly satisifying conclusion. The book is not as original as I'd hoped for but worth a try if you are a Atwater-Rhodes fan.
on January 14, 2009
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes is one of my favorite authors, I even own all her books. This book was not her best work. I would venture to say it is my least favorite of all her books. You could tell how she tried to relate it to her other books through the types of shape shifters and vampires but I was shocked that it turned out like it did. Her earlier books now called th Den of Shadows series were my favorites. I can only hope her next books are more like her earlier ones and not like this one.
on November 25, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Erin is a human girl who has awful dreams in which she becomes Shevaun, an immortal vampire. For years she was hospitalized for these 'schizophrenic' episodes.

The problem is, they may not be dreams. As it happens, Shevaun is real.

This story tells about how Erin and Shevaun battle for their lives and their independence, each one surrounded by the people who love her.

This was a fast read and I did really enjoy it. I'd love to see more books in this world where vampires, witches, and shapeshifters really exist.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2009
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The concept is interesting: a young woman is diagnosed as schizophrenic when she's actually living another person's life, only she doesn't know it. The telling of the story lacked, skipping too much between too many characters. Pared down, it would have maintained suspense better.
on February 16, 2013
Dear god this Persistence of Memory was intense, but I absolutely loved it. As I’ve mentioned in many of my reviews before this, I have been reading Amelia Atwater Rhodes’ books since I was thirteen and I’m pretty sure this might actually be fast approaching my favorite. It was so different from the normal Den of Shadows worlds we’ve been in thus far and yet it had all the same elements we know and love.

I think my favorite character was by far Adjila. There was just something about his quiet intensity that I loved. He was so controlled in everything he did except when he thought Shevaun was hurt or in trouble. Their connected was palpable and I loved seeing that despite the fact that they live in a gray area and aren’t quite good or bad they still had the capacity of love.

That’s something that Rhodes has always been very good at. She creates these fascinating characters that you want to hate, but can’t because as mean as some of them are, they all have their glimpses of humanity where you see why they are the way they are or how they see the world and you can’t help wanting to know more.

I also loved Erin and Sassy, who am I kidding I liked all the characters. The plot was the best though. I don’t want to give it all away because I think anyone who is a fan of Rhodes’ work should definitely check this one out for themselves, but I really loved how she touched on some sensitive subjects. There’s a lot about psychological disorders in this story and what people who have them feel like and go through and it’s just incredibly interesting.

The connection Erin and Shevaun have is literally mind blowing and though I was slightly confused during one chapter once I got to the end I understood what was going on and it all made sense. This was seriously one of my favorite Den of Shadows books and I can’t wait until the next one in the series!
on October 22, 2008
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Never before have I read a story by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, though she has been recommended a few times and I keep intending to. Finally I had the opportunity to read Persistence of Memory and I walked away feeling a little disappointed.

The story begins with Shevaun, a creature of the night who is currently in Sete, France. She's walking around but knows she's being hunted, and sooner or later she has to confront these stalkers. When she does she thinks it's good that it's five against one, because that will make things interesting.

Cut to Erin, a 16 year-old living in Massachusetts. Almost immediately the reader can see there is something Not Quite Right with this girl or the situation she's in. Turns out Erin has a few mental diseases, schizophrenia being the main one, and they affect her and have been affecting her so badly for so many years that she's constantly doped up on medication. The "rainbow pills" she takes keep her stable, but even so she's prone to hallucinations and fits.

It's when Erin "dreams" she is Shevaun that the story had the potential to become interesting... and failed.

The concepts are fascinating; a teenage girl with a bizarre, unexplainable connection to an immortal creature, wherein they drift in and out of each other's minds, completely unaware of it or dismissing them as dreams or odd episodes. The idea of using misdiagnosed mental diseases as gateways to the supernatural realm hidden within the real world could have been done well. The characters even had the potential to be unique and jump off the page.

But for this reader, Atwater-Rhodes just doesn't do it. The writing is plain and simple--hasn't she been an author for quite some time now, at least ten years? This isn't her first book, but it reads like one. The characters are fairly two-dimensional, with Sassy being the only fun and exciting person, even the only one you're rooting for the entire way. I completely failed to empathize with Shevaun and Adjila, despite the insistence within the text that they are good people and easy to sympathize if only you understand the little that is good in them. Instead, both come off as selfish little kids who romanticize each others traits.

There were so many things that could be done, but all that ended up happening was the reader being TOLD everything. So much information was packed in and stated that there was very little showing. There are a few glimpses of foreshadowing and deep characterization, but they all seem to revolve around Sassy (or sometimes Erin in relation to Sassy). In fact, one of the most interesting things--involving Adjila's realization that Sassy's mind was so unusual because of his slippery, erratic thoughts, and how odd it was for a mind to work that way--was never truly delved in to.

If there's a sequel I might read, but only for Sassy. Sassy was the high point--everything else just tumbled and fell flat on its face.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm a bit surprised by all the negative reviews. I found the book rather interesting and unusual. At least with this story, you know right away its fantasy - not like with some teen books that are supposed to be realistic and yet are not. I don't read much in the way of vampire and shape-shifter lore, so I was trying to figure out what different types of powers the various characters had and to discern what was going on from the beginning. The changes in time, characters, and place were at times a bit confusing.
Erin, aged 16, has spent most of her years in and out of mental hospitals and diagnosed with schizophrenia and dangerous behavior. She has recently had a flash of memories of being in another person's body in another place and time. The concept of severe schizophrenia being due to something otherworldly was a unique one. The characters were a bit flat, and unlike other reviewers, I wanted to know more about the life and times of the vampire and her consort rather than about modern day Erin and Sassy. The one thing I would want included or added to make this book better would be MORE INFORMATION. It seemed to end rather rapidly with all the history and detail not fully explained. Although this book will probably not be gobbled up like the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer or Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz, I would think about buying this one for the school library.
The Twilight Collection (Twilight);
Blue Bloods (Blue Bloods Novel)
Masquerade (A Blue Bloods Novel) (Blue Bloods Novel)
Blue Bloods 3: Revelations;
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 1, 2011
I have been a huge fan of Amelia's for years and I have to admit that I was surprised by this book. She has stepped up her game big time, she is no longer the 13-year-old writing simple (yet awesome) vampire stories. Persistence of Memory has a level of depth and intelligence her past books lack. She's an adult now and it shows in her latest work.

Not to sound all cliché, but this book is a major page turner. One of the many things I love about the author's books is that she never bores you, she never goes off topic or rambles on, she sticks to the plot and fills every chapter with so many twists and turns that you are reading as fast as you can to learn what happens next.

On top of great unique vampire story, it also has amazing characters that you can't help but love. Sassy had me literally laughing out loud countless times and Shevaun, in spite of her violent vampire personality, made me want to jump inside the book to comfort her.

My only issue with the book was the ending. I would have loved to have learned more about what happened to Adjila, Shevaun, Sassy and Erin after everything they went through. But the story ends rather quickly, which was disappointing. I was expecting one of those "3 months later" type of epilogues, but I didn't get it.
on December 7, 2009
Persistence of Memory is Amelia Atwater-Rhodes' first vampire book since the Keisha'ra series. Her writing style has matured since her last vampire book, but her ability to keep you interested has not. I do feel like I missed some things between her books though. She throws a vampire and a Triste together previous perceptions said the two don't mix. There are, of course, execptions to every rule, but it still took me a while to believe that neither the vampire nor the Triste was going to stab each other in the back. Some background story between the two of them would make it more believable. We get reintroduced to Alexander, a Triste who appeared in her first book, In the Forest of the Night. It was cool to know what happened to him. Atwater-Rhodes also introduces shapeshifters to her vampire world. I was surprised at how well that worked as I didn't think it would be possible to combine the two worlds. My hat is off to her on that one. It is a well-written vampire story with an interesting twist all the way through.
Format: HardcoverVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sixteen-year-old Erin wants to be normal. However, she is anything but normal. She has a split alter ego that lives inside her, Shevaun. When Shevaun takes over, Erin remembers nothing about the violent episodes. She has spent most of her life being treated as if she is mentally ill. However, with the help of a friend, she learns that Shevaun is not something just in her head, but a real, seperate being, and a vampire, too.

This wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't my favorite by the author. I'm pretty tired of vampire books which didn't really help, I suppose, but overall I thought her shapeshifter series (that began with the book Hawksong) was a lot better, and had a more interesting setting and world-building. Teen readers who can't get enough of vampire stories would probably enjoy this bit a bit more than I did.