Person of Interest: Season 2 [Blu-ray]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$39.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Format: DVD
Many new concept shows capture the public's interest and develop quite a fan base their Freshman Year. But, if you have ANY decent experience with Sci-Fi or Dystopian series, you know that the vast majority of them fall flat on their Sophomore Faces! From Terra Nova, Heroes, Falling Skies, etc., some end at the 1st year, some limp along into the 2nd before cancellation, and then the unfathomable few struggle with the die-hard fans until the plug is pulled. (I've been one of those fans of all three examples.)

So, when a series like PERSON OF INTEREST, which is described by some as a "Cop Procedural Show" can not only make it past the first year but into a second one, there's cause to celebrate! Yes, this IS a Cop Procedural Show but with so many subtle twists and turns to it. The first year was pretty basic: it introduced the viewers to the Core Four: Finch; Reese; Carter and Fusco. (no need to write about them if you're reading a 2nd season review). Each week there was a person of interest with a couple of over-lapping stories (Elias and HR); we learned some tiny nuggets about Reese's background, even less about Finc;, and the 1st season ended with both Carter and Fusco willingly wanting to help Reese/Finch...and The Machine (although they know nothing about it...yet!) A tense cliff-hanger, introducing Root, wrapped up the first year.

Now, on it's 2nd Season, this show is even more spell-binding and captivating! I'll admit it: there are some shows so extraordinary in plot or subtle humour, that I've rewatched them over and over again, especially since CBS (the network that HATES their shows!) is pre-empting everything once again, for Sports or Award Shows.

Unlike series such as MONK or THE MENTALIST (both of which I enjoy), not every.single.episode. is about "Trudy's Killer" or "Red John", which can just wear a viewer out. ~sigh~ Yes, Root is back, but in limited amounts. Same goes for Ellias, HR, Snow, and Kara, with some of the Big Bads actually being caught/found/killed or being incarcerated. It's GREAT to wrap up some of these loose threads; it bothers me to no end when there's just one GIANT loop that a show is based upon!

Unlike Season One, which was incredible, Finch is loosening the Inner Secret Circle of Trust about just "what" Reese and he do, in regards to saving people. With the inclusion of Carter and Fusco full-time (actually added to the Season 2 cover!!!), this season also includes Leon, Zoe, and Shaw helping the Dynamic Duo out in many of their cases.

And....(drum roll PLEASE!)...let us NOT forget the inimitable BEAR!!!! Originally rescued from some Aryan Brotherhood thugs, the introduction and retention of Bear just makes me love this show EVEN more! From Finch's initial grudging acceptance toward the dog, who held a rare first edition in his mouth upon initial meeting, Bear has become the <3Heart of the show, and actually allows the "almost" Cookie Cutter personalities of Reese & Finch to bloom. Bear helped poor Finch through his PTSD, and daily pulls Finch out of his head and into actually PLAYING and ENJOYING Bear as a companion. They go on walks together (even subtitled movies), he gets special treats, finds dead incinerated bodies (Oh My!) and is SO over-joyed to see a freshly released Reese, that we actually see Jim SMILE and physically get bowled off of his feet from Bear's joy! And was that a glimmer of !gasp! jealousy, when Finch watched Bear's reaction to Reese's return? ;)

In this season, both Reese and Finch get a wee bit more fleshed out, moreso Reese than Finch. The humour level, which casual viewers so often miss, is SO high this year, that I can't drink a beverage any longer and watch this show! It comes out of nowhere, like static electricity, and leaves me ROFLMAO, so much so that I often must rewind those moments over and over again to savor them. And, in the last episode, we find out how Finch became injured and why he took an interest in the Irrelevant People he dismissed in years past.

But two shows this year, DEAD RECKONING and RELEVANCE, set such a new standard, that if the entire second season was JUST those episodes, I could live with that. In DEAD RECKONING, you truly saw and felt the love that ALL the Core Four have for each other. I was bawling like a widdle girl, when I watched Carter grab onto John's shirt, only to have Fusco tear her away, because she had a son to live for. And when Reese pulled his gun on Finch on the rooftop, to only have Finch stare him down into submission so he could attempt to deactivate Kara's cell phone bomb...another moment of "No Dry Eyes In The House." These four main characters put their life in harm's way each day. It's so enheartening to see their genuine friendship this season, rather than just working together to solve a case. And in RELEVANCE, this show actually set aside the Core Four to almost make "guest appearances", with 3/4's of the show in a pseudo-spin off, introducing the Shaw character. THAT is a B.O.L.D. move: I actually had to check the show description TWICE, making sure CBS hadn't switched a new show for P.o.I. Already on Pre-Order, I can't wait to add this year's season to last years, for continual enjoyment of solid characters, stellar writing, fantastic plot development, and just.plain.fun.!
2525 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 10, 2013
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
This has to be one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. Great cast and always changing plots so you never know where the storyline will be going. Every show is worth watching at least twice to pick up on the nuances you missed the first time.

Already looking forward to Season Three.
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
I first found out about the show, "Person of Interest" by accident via Wikipedia. When I read about how it involved a former Green Beret/CIA operative using his skills to prevent violent crimes, I was already interested (I love movies/shows like The Bourne Series and 24 where highly-trained former soldiers/agents put the smack down on bad guys), but I figured I wouldn't be able to watch it 'cause I didn't have TV and it wasn't on Netflix. Last Christmas, when I saw the first season on DVD, and I bought it. I was instantly hooked and practically devoured all the episodes. I quickly realized that Season 2 was going on, but I despaired because there was no way to catch up with the episodes.
Fast forward to a few days ago, I checked on Season 2 on Amazon to see when it would come out on DVD, and I found out - much to my joyful surprise - that I could purchase the episodes on Instant Video. So that's exactly what I did.
I am very happy to say that Season 2 does not disappoint. If you loved the high-speed action and tech savvy of the main duo (along with the aid of their friends in the police department), then this is a continuation of that, and more. The characters develop further as the season progresses and we find out more about them, the overarching conspiracy comes back but is deeper and more expansive, and we see many familiar characters as well as new ones - all of whom help enrich the story.
I can fairly say that I will probably buy the DVD set when it comes out, so that way I can update my collection (I already have Season 1 on DVD) and watch the episodes when I don't have an Internet connection. Plus, my connection isn't the best, so quality fluctuates and I oftentimes had to wait for the video to buffer oftentimes, so owning the season on disc will be a huge plus.
Meanwhile, I am genuinely excited for what Season 3 will have to offer. Season 1 left us with a cliffhanger and lots of questions, and Season 2 continues the trend, so I am definitely amped for whatever comes next.

TLDR: if you liked Season 1, you'll love Season 2. More action, new characters introduced, old ones fleshed out more, conspiracy is revealed more. Will buy on DVD as well.
on April 20, 2013
Format: Blu-ray
I started watching this great suspense action series in the middle of the second season. JJ Abrams continues to bring fresh stories with great plots and excellent cast especially Sarah Shahi as Sameen Shaw and Amy Acker as Root. I am really looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes. Meanwhile I have rewatched each episode I've seen at least 3-5 times. I am sooo addicted to this great series. Thanks Mr. Abrams for bringing this fantastic series to life.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
Verified Purchase
Everyone in Hollywood seems to want the Hero in movies & TV shows go through extreme difficulty before emerging as the winner & saving the day. I've been waiting for a show that can show that drama in other ways , such as gathering intel & covert ops. Something that doesn't take anything away from the Hero. JJ Abrams is creating a new kind of Hero. I love to watch the "good-guys" kicking butt. No matter what befalls them , they can adapt & overcome. It's like the John Wayne formula. Its the watching them kick ass that is the best part of the show. It's OK if problems arise but knowing that between Reese, Finch, Carter & Fusco, all will be set right.
on June 27, 2013
Verified Purchase
Best show i have seen in years. Intelligent thriller with humor. The characters evolve. Fascinating leads
but also love Leon and my favorite is Bear--stroke of genius. It is the show that keeps giving!!!
on July 11, 2013
Verified Purchase
This show is a little like the X-files with the stand alone stories of trying to save those who are threatened with violence or are perpetrators and then the continuing larger conspiracies by Control, Decima and HR.

Some people have complained about the addition of Shaw, but let's face it, it would get boring after awhile if it was always John Reese shooting the bad guys and kicking the crap out of everyone, every week. Shaw is a nice addition. Leon adds comic relief. The only one I am not crazy about is Root. I wish that they would kill her off as she's annoying.

I like the whole idea of altruism with Reese, Carter, and Finch and the idea that people who do bad things can change to do good such as Fusco. I'm completely addicted to POI and have had to watch some of the episodes of season two a couple of times as it does become mind bending.

Looking forward to season 3. I think the show will last up to 6 seasons, and probably should not go much beyond that, as X-files did and Dexter. Both of those shows should have ended earlier but T.V. execs being what they are will forgo quality to continue to line their pockets regardless if the show goes down hill.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2013
Format: Amazon Instant VideoVerified Purchase
Person Of Interest is one of the best shows on television. The writing and acting is outstanding. I can't wait for season 3.
Format: DVD
NO SPOILERS:

Let's get right to it. What makes Person of Interest work is the phenomenal cast. Perhaps the best on network TV.

Starting with Jim Caviezel (John Reese) and Michael Emerson (Harold Finch).

Who can forget Kevin Chapman (former Providence Irish mob boss) and the corrupt cop Lionel Fusco (offered a chance at redemption by Reese).

Thrown into the mix are a trifecta of hotties with recurring roles:

1.) Joss Whedon alum Amy Acker, as elite hacker with an agenda, "Root"

2.) Fixer and sometime Reese love interest "Zoe" played by Paige Turco

3.) Less us not forget Sarah Shahi playing somewhat out of character as, stoic & burned former goverment assassin, "Samantha Shaw" Admittedly, I had hopes that we would at least catch Shahi coming out of cold shower!

Now for the boys. Enrico Colantoni (Flash Point and Veronica Mars alum) as imprisoned mob boss Elias. Surprisingly endearing and adding some comic relief is Leon Tao (Ken Leung), as the often troubled financial hacker who sometimes assists in cases.

OK, so with a great cast, why not 5*? The culprit is the writing/script. IMHO, season 2 is much superior to season 1. Starting with episode 14 (season 2) the script catches up with the 5* cast. There is intrigue on several levels with Root (Acker) meeting Shaw (Shahi) in episode 16. Episode 19 may just be the best episode of the series with several storylines coming together. Elias admits that some outside force is posturing to take him out, Shaw re-emerges and decides that she will go after Root for some answers and then there is the re-emergence of the mysterious Englishman who is a point person for a shadowy organization, which has yet to be revealed.

I am very exited for the final 3-episodes of the season. Fans will be excited to know that Person of Interest has been renewed for 3rd season.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 26, 2013
Format: Amazon Instant Video
Premise: After the terrorist attack in 2001 the government hires an IT company to create a machine to search for terror plots by spying on everyone. The surviving creator (Finch) of The Machine takes the data the government calls irrelevant and seeks out the unsuspecting people involved in 'machine predicted' life changing events. Some of the people are potential victims and some are the perpetrators of these events. Finch, with his batman, Reese, sort out who is who and attempt to prevent the situations from turning deadly, serving justice when necessary. They are helped periodically by NYPD detectives Carter and Fusco.

Who could have guessed when this program initially aired in 2011 that it would turn out to be true. With the recent revelations about the NSA spying on all of us, it is unfortunate we don't have a real life Reese and Finch keeping watch.

The ensemble of actors brought together in this series is amazing. Being a long time fan of Jim Caviezel, watching the pilot was a no-brainer for me and I haven't been disappointed. Reese has limitations which is refreshing in the hard-to-believe-world of '100 lb women taking down 300 lb men without breaking a nail' TV shows. I have been impressed by the other members of the cast as well. Michael Emerson consistently maintains his character's physical limitations-no small feat; Taraji P. Hensen's and Kevin Chapman's chemistry as police partners is believable-no goofy "whatever you do is alright with me" antics, just pure drama. The writing so far is superb, serious but with a touch of dark humor that mirrors real life LEO's and SpecOps members. The antagonists have been refreshingly unpredictable as well. If you are a fan of any of the actors, you won't be disappointed, if you like thrillers, you won't be disappointed. If you work for the NSA/CIA, you might have issues with the show.