5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously one of the best games of all time.
Published on November 25, 2012 by Christopher Montealegre

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic game in so many ways but too repetitive and drawn out for me
I'm sure I'll get a lot of disapproval from fans who think that their favorite game can do NO WRONG and that everyone has to like it but for me this game was way too repetitive.

In some ways it really is a gem, ESPECIALLY on a handheld system like the Vita. However, I am giving the game 3 stars because for me, personally, it couldn't hold my attention for the...
Published 4 months ago by A. Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously one of the best games of all time., November 25, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
This game deserves no less than a 5-star review. Every single aspect of it was perfect 4 years ago, and now, WOW, there are no words. You HAVE to play this game with your headphones on, so that you can truly appreciate the music, the audio, and the voice acting, which are all TOP-notch. It's a game that you want to pace yourself while playing too, so that you can get the most enjoyment out of it. There is so much to do, after all, so playing for just an hour or two every day after school or after work can be very satisfying. The story is rich and engrossing, and you'll probably find yourself thinking about it even while you're not playing. And the gameplay is fantastic as well, of course, but can be quite challenging. I recommend you select Normal difficulty if you're a newcomer, and that you grind a lot, buy a lot of useful items to increase your HP and SP at any time, and keep your equipment up to date too. Oh, and SAVE. Keep multiple save-files because there are other ways that you can get a Game Over in this game besides being defeated in battle.

Overall, this a MUST-OWN for any self-respecting Vita owner. It's almost worth getting a Vita over, even if it's been out on the PS2 since forever. Don't hesitate and buy yourself a copy of this game ASAP, either physically or through the PS Store for the same price but at an added toll of 3.5 GB or so to your memory. Either way it's totally worth it. So BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

And encourage others to do the same of course! This game is life-changing stuff folks!!! LIFE-CHANGING!!!!!

P.S.: I almost forgot! Bring your philosophizing cap you guys! This game has a serious ability to make you think, consider, and look at things from a totally different perspective than what you might be used to. If you pay attention, you will certainly be rewarded with a fresh and new outlook on life... Don't believe me? Play it then, and see for yourself! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Whether Your 1st JRPG or 100th, This is Amazing!, November 26, 2012
Overtech (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
I played the PS2 version of Persona 4 last year and still I eagerly found myself downloading this title on launch day. Why? Because it's that good. So good I couldn't wait to jump back in and solve a mystery with my friends in Inaba.

And here it is. It's back, and better than ever. We all know the graphics are much more crisp, but what actually took me by surprise is how much additional polish they put into the game. Menus are rife with color and I love watching the opening cinematic everytime I turn on the game. It's like a bag of Skittles exploded, yet somehow all of the colors blend well together. And the soundtrack is spectacular, and yes, there are some new tunes in this updated version.

One of my favorite new features of the game is the updated Shuffle Time post-battle. Instead of randomly choosing cards, you're given chances to score multiple prizes and go for a Sweep which will give you further bonuses on your next Shuffle Time. It's ridiculously addicting.

The skill cards are also a great addition that make it much easier to customize your favorite Persona to your liking. Want a Jack Frost with Bufu, Garu, Zio, and Agi? Farm the cards and knock yourself out! I recommend giving them to the all new NPC, Marie, however. That way you can get the skills whenever you want for a monetary fee.

My only knock on the game is Chie's new voice actress. I understand they couldn't get the original back, and while the new VA does a great job, it's hard for me to shake the feeling that something is off. This is probably because her old voice is still fresh in my memory from recently playing the PS2 copy. Teddie's VA is also new, but I think he comes really close to the voice of the original, and it was much easier to adjust to him. Of course, if this is your first time playing, you don't have to worry about this paragraph at all. They do a great job, it's just different from the original!

Overall, I think everyone with an interest in JRPGs and turn-based combat should play this game. It's a unique adventure with amazing personalities, and you'll have an unforgettable good time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Game of the Year, December 1, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
This review is from the perspective of someone who has played the PS2 version of Persona 4, P3FES, and P3P.

Of the 4 games that I consider the modern SMT school RPG's, Persona 4 Golden is hands down, the most polished experience. In fact it is the best Shin Megami Tensai RPG... actually it is the best RPG on the VITA.

Wait, no that's not quite right. P4G is actually the game of the year.

Story: the basic storyline is the same as the first iteration of the game. You are involved in a circle of high school friends gathered together to try to solve a murder mystery in a small town. While not the most innovative, the plot in P4G is far removed from normal fantasy/sci-fi quests in typical JRPG or Western RPG games. However, the plot twists and discoveries made throughout the game about the central mystery greatly extend the intrigue and will have you pushing forward just to find out what happens next.

Characters: Perhaps the most important aspect of RPG's is the characters. Persona 4 Golden maintains the excellent cast from the first game and extends it by introducing Marie, a new character reminiscent of Elizabeth from Persona 3. Marie is sarcastic, poetic, and feisty. She's awesome. For those new to Persona 4, the characters really bolster the story and make the game not just about leveling up to become more powerful in battles, but also about developing relationships and really interacting with the entire cast.

Gameplay: The excellent gameplay in Persona 4 (which I consider much superior to Persona 3 FES) returns. In addition, you get multiplayer !!! (that's right) elements introduced with the SOS function. This is kind of reminiscent of Dark Souls or Demon Souls, where the multiplayer element is not required to finish the central story of the game, but adds depth to the gameplay. In general, Persona 4 Golden is a turn based game based around mastering elemental attacks, conditions, combinations (including paired attacks when using certain characters), and smart usage of items.

Video/Audio: The graphics are simply stunning. On the VITA's OLED screen, the amount on which P4G improves upon any other SMT game is absolutely awesome. Now all we need is a true 1080p+ home console SMT game (Persona 5 on the next gen consoles, please?) Audio wise, the excellent score and very good English voice casting returns. I'm going to have to chime in like others and say one thing about Chie's voice actress -- she really could have used a bit more restraint.

Replay value: A lot.

So why is this the game of the year? Persona 4 Golden will provide you between 60-70 hours of gripping storytelling, engaging gameplay, and fascinating discovery. You will be glued to the beautiful OLED screen of the Vita passing long hours without realizing it. You will miss classes, call in sick to work, ignore you girlfriend, and forget to eat. You will love this game and realize just how shamelessly inadequate the polish of nearly every other JRPG released on current gen consoles and handhelds has been.

If you do not have this game, and have a VITA... Why? Click the cart link on this page and if you have Prime, pay the $3.99 for 1 day shipping. You will simply not regret this decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vita needed this, November 28, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
So, I have never played any of the Persona series. However, this one grabbed my attention so I picked it up. This is the first RPG that I have played on the Vita that I truly enjoyed. I Love the Anime cut scenes, the story, and the fighting. As I said, this is what the Vita needed. I am only a few hours into it, but am thoroughly enjoying it.

Update: So I am still playing the game, haven't beaten it yet, however, I have been doing the quests, building social links, and just enjoying the game. This game, has you like the c=haracters, fall in love with them because of how deep and emotional the game can be. This is by far one of the Top 10 games. After playing this, I went and purchased the rest of the persona series so I can start from the beginning.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's My Favorite Game of All-Time, Only Better, April 2, 2013
M. Mazurek (Chapel Hill, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
For a while, I have considered Persona 4 to be my favorite video game. I'm going to keep this relatively short, because I could spend hours and hours talking about why I love these games so much. I played through the game twice between December and January 2008/2009 and clocked in about 160-170 hours between my two files. I dabbled here and there since then, when I tried to beat the game's ultimate boss and just to beat the game again, but I haven't really touched the game since 2009.

When I played through Persona 4: Golden, I kept thinking how the game was better than Persona 4. I love how the people who form the so-called "Persona Team" and everyone at Atlus keep improving on their games. Persona 3 was an amazing experience, but they easily outdid themselves with Persona 4, and did it again here.

P4G is without a doubt in my mind better than P4. Persona 4 Golden is the definitive version of the game. This isn't just a port. It is a substantial expansion and improvement from an already flawless game.

The additional gameplay options, from the motorcycle and gardening, to being able to select your Persona's skills while fusing to, new Social Links and a new dungeon make the game feel fresh for those who have played it before on the PS2. The game is extended from April to the end of December to April to the middle of February. The story is not only increased with extra days on the calendar, but with extra scenes, new events (like vacations and school events), the aforementioned new Social Links, new animated cutscenes, and an extended ending.

One of the more welcome surprises for me are the social features of the game. Yes, Atlus managed to successfully turn Persona, a 60-80 hour game that you play all by yourself, into a more open and interactive game. There is a feature on the Vita which allows you to show what other players did on this day and time. For instance, you can see what other people did after school. You can see if people found nothing interesting or if they interacting with a Social Link that doesn't appear too frequently, or one you haven't unlocked yet. You can see if people decided to study at night, or if they found somebody around town at night. There is also a neat dungeon rescuing mechanic integrated in with your solo dungeon crawling experience.

Finally there are great bonus features built into the game. There are clips from the Persona concerts that were held in Japan a few years ago. You can play any animated cutscene from the story at any time. There are trailers for Persona 3, Persona 4, Persona 4 The Animation, and Persona 4 Arena. There are early character design sketches. You can play almost all of, if not every single song in the entire game.

I do have one thing I didn't quite like about Persona 4 Golden, however. Some of the changes make the game easier, and at times too easy. (Now before I explain why, keep in mind this was my third time beating the game, I played through the game on normal, and there are two or three harder difficulties than normal. Anyway...) As an example, after a certain point in the game, Rise will assist your party when you perform an all out attack. This makes the attack even more powerful than it would normally be. Also, at random times a few party members will perform a unique attack. A pair of characters (ex. Chie and Yukiko, Naoto and Kanji) will run out and combine their powers to unleash a special attack, after an all out attack. So not only is the all out attack more powerful sometimes, you can get a bonus attack for free. Also, if you increase Rise's Social Link high enough, she will randomly help out your party, by healing everyone, or increasing your party's evasion, attack, or defense. Again, keep in mind this is my third time playing through the game, so I should have absolutely no trouble beating the game on normal. Still, at times it felt like the game added a few too many bonuses and assists that give you an advantage over your foes, yet the game doesn't do anything to raise the difficulty. The game has two or three "hard modes" and you can fine tune the difficulty in a New Game+, but I still think Atlus should look into more ways to keep the game challenging in the later stages when they eventually release Persona 5.

But why are you even reading this review? You should know by now. The Persona series is awesome and the Vita is great. Just buy this game already and enjoy 60-100 hours of pure gaming bliss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Creativity abundant, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
I wasn't really sure what to make of this game at first. It didn't look to interesting based on the pictures.

The reviews across the internet compelled me.

I have to say, this game is very different than other rpg's, but still very fun. It's more of a mystery/sci-fi rpg that involves jumping into a tv world to do battle.

This game is absolutely a MUST HAVE for the vita.

This is the game that's going to be talked about for years and set the benchmark for all future vita games.

Don't miss Persona 4 Golden.

5.0 out of 5 stars So polished, it really shines!, December 5, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
Persona 4 is awesome! This is the first persona game that I've played. I recently got a vita and heard everyone raving about this game and since I love RPG's, I figured that I would give it a shot. Let me just say this...seeing a game that is this polished is very rare! The level of detail in this game never ceases to amaze me! Here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

- Steam coming off of food when characters eat and accurate sound effects when they pop open containers, etc...
- About 80% of all dialogue in the game is voice. The voice actors are amazing and you get a lot closer to the characters in the game because of that.
- While listening to the dialogue, if you miss something or happen to zone out, you can hit select at any time and the entire conversation history will pop up! In this history you can not only read things again but if you hit x on a certain piece of dialogue, that character will speak that part to you again! This feature is really cool and something that I have never seen in another game. Really smart idea!
- The load times are amazing! They are still present...but so short that I find myself happily jamming out to the cool soundtrack as the game speedily loads to the next scene.
- The interface (menu's, control scheme) are perfect for the vita. I haven't come across any touch features really...but that's okay. The menu's are very pretty and sharp on the Vita's OLED screen.

While the whole game is amazing, it's these little extra details that I love because a lot of developers either don't do these things, or don't take the time to do them right. Any who, I'm not going to make this review massive or anything. In short, I also love the story and game-play...but now I want to get back to playing the game! ha-ha I just had to tell people that I very rarely play games that have this level of polish to them (and I have been a gamer ever since I was little...so I've played a lot of games)! This game is great and I would recommend it to anyone that has a vita!!! You've got to play this game!

5 stars, two thumbs up, etc... etc... :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeness in your hands !, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
Short and simple review. For people who enjoyed Persona 3 and persona 4 you will enjoy this ! Persona golden is a RPG game and a remastered version of persona 4 which was release for the ps2 a few years back. Persona golden features many new things which wasn't avaliable in the ps2 version such as an extra character , personas and social links. The persona games takes a crap load of time to complete and has alot of replay value even after finishing it. Overall for people who enjoyed the persona games it is HIGHLY recommended that you pick up this copy ASAP !! and for those who are new to the game or the RPG genre give it a go and I know you wont regret it as there is soooo much to do in this amazing game.

5.0 out of 5 stars A mixture of RPG and "The Sims"? What?!?!, November 26, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
I've imported this game and it works without any problem here in Europe. What is left to say about Persona? About one year ago i bought "Persona 3 Portable" for the PSP just because of pure curiosity... a mixture of RPG and "The Sims"? What?!?! But when i started playing it, it hit me like a thunder: this is such a great, deep and emotional game, it is hard to believe if you do not play it for yourself. I still can remember every NPC, i can remember things they said and things the have done. The characters in Persona may be heroes on the battleground, but during the rest of the day they are normal people with normal problems. This is so special about Persona: you really do CARE about the characters. After i finished P3P i knew that this was maybe one of the best games i ever played. Now back to Persona 4: It is like Persona 3 but with improved graphics, more features, a new story and new characters. Simply said: i love it like i loved P3P! I really can recommend this game to everyone out there, give it a try! It is worth your time and maybe one of the best games for the Vita.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, November 21, 2012
This review is from: Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita (Video Game)
When I had a PS1, I bought FFIX and thought it was one of the best in the series. Sadly, many missed it because the PS2 was already out before it was released. The same is with Persona 4 since it was released in 2008, just 4 years ago! Normally I would be upset that I missed such an amazing game, but from what I understand this is the definitive version of the game and I can see why. There are many reviews, but mine will be kind of short because I will compare it's best features to other games.

First off, the visuals look great. Like World of Warcraft, the art style keeps the game from looking dated. The fighting is turn based and if you like Final Fantasy games, you'll be right at home. The game constantly gives you decisions to make that can affect the story kind of like Mass Effect, so you will most likely want to play through again even if it take you 50 to 100 hours. The sound is exceptional. Vita cartridges are tiny and it is amazing to hear so much voice acting crammed in the game. They also have the catchiest J Pop music i have ever heard in a game. Finally, I loved Shenmue on the Dreamcast and have wanted a remake for the longest. This game has many of the elements I loved. You get to explore the city and shops, get part time jobs, there is a lot of social interaction, and there is active time, date, and weather.

Bottom line, get this game! If JRPG's like Final Fantasy were still mainstream in the U.S., this would be a Vita seller for sure. It is quite possibly the best RPG I have ever played, but I haven't gotten all the way through to make that decision. It's just incredible!

Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita
Persona 4 Golden - PlayStation Vita by Atlus (PlayStation Vita)
$29.99 $19.99