4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent NAS Product!
Western Digital My Book Live Duo 4 TB Personal Cloud Storage Drive by Western Digital reviewed here for Amazon is an Excellent Network attached data storage product. It is very simple to use and consumes very little power ideally suited for home media streaming environments and also doubles as a "Personal Cloud" Storage drive to access your photos and files over the...
Published on February 21, 2012 by rbhatta

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept - Dangerously Unstable Execution
I have had the 6GB Duo for about three weeks now. Though I love the concept, the instability of the system is cause for alarm. Below is a detailed review:

THE GOOD:
(+) Great Concept
(+) Online Access
(+) Mobile Apps
(+) Large Space
(+) RAID redundancy (or so I thought - see THE UGLY below)

The concept is great - a personal...
Published on March 6, 2012 by Deremer Studios

‹ Previous | 18 9 1025 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to get up and running!, May 23, 2013
After 2 failures from the 'other' brand of NAS drives I have switched to WD. So far I am very satisfied with the installation and operation of this networked drive. I lost a lot of files with the last 2 drives, my iTunes library and photos being the worst losses. I can rebuild the iTunes library but the photos may be a bit harder to replace, if I can at all. Living in the digital age may not be all it is cracked up to be! I became complacent about my backup strategy thinking that the NAS drives would be reliable. Don't make the same mistake I made!!

Given my experience with the failures of the last 2 drives (and I didn't have the drives for very long) I bought this NAS drive because it has the ability to work in a RAID configuration. I configured my Duo this way when I first installed it, realizing that I would lose half the storage capability for more peace of mind. This worked flawlessly as well as the installation of the drivers and other software. I can even get to this drive with my work computer when running VPN and Windows 7 64-bit so that was a really nice feature.

Even though the price of a dual drive NAS drive like this may seem high it is well worth the feeling of security you can get from having things saved on 2 drives. You can set things up to get automatically noified in different ways if there are any failures with the either drive and other things. WD has made it very easy to replace a drive that has failed but luckily I have not had to do this otherwise there would not be 5 stars!! I hope I never have to because I am not sure if the drives have to be exactly the same model. This could represent a problem in the future as HDD technology changes very rapidly and drives become obsolete quickly. In any case, having the RAID system should allow me several options should there be a failure in the future. Then there is also the ability to backup my backup using the USB port on the WD Duo. I haven't done this so far but plan to soon. My new approach is to spread my important files across as many computers and HDDs as I can in hopes to never have the problem of losing precious photos again.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basics Work, but Lots of Flaws, April 20, 2013
As a simple NAS, it gets the job done. On my Gigabit network I can treat these drives as local drives. However, a lot of the special features don't work well:
--The Media Server on the duo systems is a proprietary DLNA server (on the single drive systems they use Twonky). I have not been able to get it to be recognized by any of my systems (PS3 and Windows). I plan on changing over to Twonky, it's just extra work and probably voids the warranty.
--The backups (Safepoints) are very slow the first time--on the order of 2 1/2 days for 1TB of data. This is because they add checksums that are supposed to make it faster to update the backup later. Unfortunately mine failed after 2 days (just a nondescript fail message, nothing useful), making me go back and start over. Hopefully it'll work this time.
--The USB port on the back for an external HDD is only USB 2.0 (Why not USB 3.0??)
--The ability to map a shared drive from a remote location is awesome. However, their security is incompatible with MS Office security and you can't edit any office files remotely. WD says they're working on it, but the current work-around is to copy the file to a local drive, edit it, then copy it back (not a very useful solution). Note this is only an issue when working with a shared drive over the internet. There is a solution where you can go into the Linux shell and change some security settings, but not WD sanctioned.
--When you have public and private shares, you have to map them in a specific order to avoid security/password issues. Not sure if this is a Windows or MBLD issue.

I like that the system runs Linux and can be accessed and modified. However I bought this to not have to muck about in a Linux server. The vision for the product is awesome, but the execution is poor. For what I wanted, I probably should have spent more on a better system and spent less time modifying and troubleshooting. Fortunately there is a big community of users with lots of mods and solutions published online.

1.0 out of 5 stars General bad behavior!!!!, April 1, 2013
The Web interface for product registration shows errors even when the product had been registered, only one week running and Disk B is failing, this device is very bad to work with IPs 10.0.0.x because it dissapear from the network.

Report generation for troubleshooting shows the following error in Western Digital home page [...]:

There was a problem processing your request:
Class.WD_WebToCaseController.init: line 78, column 1

I'm Computer Scientist, I know how make NAS setup but at the end is very dissapointed spend money on this device instead of Apple Time Machine.

TOO MANY FAILURES for a commercial device (330$)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Locate my music collection anywhere anytime., March 30, 2013
This is such a good tool for backing up your data. However, the thing I like best about it is that I can leave this at home and access it anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connect. Another cool thing is the smart phone app. I have an enormous music collection that I can’t load entirely onto any phone. But with the smart phone app, I can plug my phone into my mp3 port on my car stereo and listen to music that’s coming from home. Sort of like internet radio. I’ve been collecting music for 25 years. So I use the raid feature in case one drive craps out, I still have everything on the other drive. Peace of mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for small office., March 25, 2013
This review is from: WD My Book Live Duo 6TB Personal Cloud Storage NAS Share Files and Photos (Personal Computers)
Works very smoothly and east to set up. Excellent features, especially web access, users, and automatic backup. This is much better than the HP Media Smart Windows Home Server that it replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD 4TB Personal Cloud NAS, March 23, 2013
I should have done this a long time ago. Great network storage that also allows me to back up my workstations and laptop with ease. I also really appreciate the ability to access the personal cloud anywhere my laptop or smartphone has Internet connectivity. Very easy to set up. I look forward to learning all the features and capabilities of this great consumer product. I would recommend it highly to anyone looking to set up or use on a home network.

4.0 out of 5 stars WD Duo 4TB, January 29, 2013
This item was pretty easy to setup. I'm still finding more uses for it. My son, in Korea, was able to access this item without any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality product and fast., January 20, 2013
I have been using this product for over four months now. Setup was extremely simple and fast. File transfers are near as fast as an internal drive. It has a very easy to use web interface for managing the drive. I use it in RAID 0 for storage, not for backup. It doesn't have the reliability (in RAID 0) of my Drobo FS but it's was faster and cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Might be great but so far I don't know, January 17, 2013
For a long time I wanted to buy this product. When I finally received it, I tried to set it up right away. All went well until the software indicated that it had a "firmware update". You would normally think, ok great let's upgrade. After the upgrade I was not able to log in anymore. On the internet I read that the update fails to let the user know when his password for the product is too long....which in my case it was (so much for having a strong password right?!?). I tried everything and I failed. I contacted support via e-mail and this is the best part....it's been more than a week..and all they have to say is "Sorry for the delay but we have been very busy!!!!. Great service WD!!

So I would love to give this product a great review but unfortunately I can't because so far I'm not able to use it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely awesome product!, November 21, 2012
Don F. "donaf1" (MI United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great device with so many features. This really gives you personal control over your cloud storage, besides adding new possibilities for your home entertainment/media serving. You can set up remote access for mobile devices allowing access to documents, videos, music and photos from anywhere -- all driven by user-level security you can set up. You can also set up accounts (by email) for remote access for computers/laptops that will allow you via web browser to access shares. It even provides for automatic mapping and access using Windows Explorer. I have the WD TV Live Hub and it allows me wireless access to a whole new library of entertainment served up by this device. My iPad and our iPhones all can access resources from anywhere. I have this operating in an "Extranet" and was able to setup firewall rules to allow devices from within the "firewall" or internal home network to access resources directly (without the web browser-based option) on the device, thus giving this even more versatility while keeping maintaining network-level security. I was even able to watch an m4v video via 3G (beware of data plan consumption!). The ability to do this will, however, depend on your upload speeds/bandwidth you have with your internet provider's plan.

My only regret is that I could find no way to remotely configure this system from outside my internal wired/wireless networks. It seemed like I had to do all configuring from within my home network. I don't know why WD doesn't set up admin-level capability for web browser-based access to the device's configuration dashboard. Seems to me like this is something they should look at doing in the future. This is would definitely put a "cherry" on top of what I consider already to be a "delicious hot-fudge sundae" in terms of a classy network device. Granted, I am an experienced "techie/geek" when it comes to stuff like this, for the average user this is not that hard to set up. You can get it all operational and learning practically everything you need to know to use it in just a few hours. WD has a Concierge Service (toll-free) that is very helpful and the support is free! I used this free service a couple of times and they were very knowledgeable and helpful.

The drives are easily accessible and can be swapped out if any one of them goes bad. The caveat is that it is "proprietary" and specifically states to use WD Green drives to replace. I'm not sure, for instance, what would happen if you tried replacing them with a couple of Seagate drives. Even with that in mind, this is really not a show-stopper as WD has a good reputation for reliable disk storage (usually being first or second choice of most consumers). The drive configuration came defaulted to "spanned" where you can use the entire available disk space. You also have the option to change it to RAID 1 (Mirrored) where you'll loose approximately half of the disk space to provide data redundancy. However, this is a nice option for those wanting to safeguard data and ease the pain of restoring their data should one of the drives go bad. I opted to stick with the default "spanned" configuration, so I could access all drive space while reverting to other means for data redundancy. There is a USB port for attaching an additional USB storage device that you could optionally use to back up this device, etc. also.

For those who want more control of their personal cloud storage without monthly or annual fees and with a much more generous allotment of disk space (I have the 6 TB unit), you can't beat this! This is geared to the novice or the experienced user. I investigated other "boxes" (like Synology brand), but they lacked any hard drives (all included on this device), thus adding additional expense to an already expensive "empty box." Furthermore, they seemed like a lot of work to get set up (not for the novice or technical "faint of heart") -- much more (possibly days/weeks) to get them set up and surmount a potentially higher "learning curve." The WD 2go iPhone and iPad apps that allow you to access the device remotely also have the added benefit of uniting your Skydrive or Dropbox accounts along with it and swap data between them.

I highly recommend this product for those who want to take control of their personal cloud space!

‹ Previous | 18 9 1025 | Next ›