KJV Personal Concord Reference Edition KJ463:XR black French Morocco
Format: Leather BoundChange
Price:$52.75 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on May 3, 2011
I have been enjoying this Bible for over a year, I am tempted to buy a second one in case the production would ever stop. I am certain to look for the Cambridge edition if I ever want a larger Bible.

This one is a great portable size has references in good quantity. The leather is thick, not very thick, but sturdy. I was worried it would be a thin, more bonded feel, it is not, it is real leather. It has a good texture, the print for my eyes is easy to read. I keep it in the box it came in to preserve it well. My apartment gets humid so I don't want it getting all warped. I have preserved it well but I don't care much about that anymore. I like knowing the Bible is getting used.

This is a great Bible, i would recommend it as a gift. It is very nice, I am proud of my choice.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 13, 2007
The Personal Concord Holy Bible follows the Concord Bible format (center reference notes by verse, not marked in the text like the Cameo & [now in print] Full Size Presentation Bible). The size is as great a difference smaller as the regular Concord Bible (semi-bold 8-9 point type) is to the Cameo Holy Bible (7 point type, letter referenced). Therefore, it must be about 6 point type. Otherwise, it has all of the features of the full size Concord, including midway good concordance, Glossary, and perfunctory couple of maps -- the regular Concord now apparently having more maps than previously, how-be-it. I have the Zippered edition, fitting perfectly in the pocket or purse, and note that zippered editions seem generally to have disappeared lately, like the loose-leaf (Cambridge formerly publishing an excellent, large print AV set).

Recall that French Morocco is smooth, polished, split leather, lighter than Cambridge's sturdy calfskin; the artificial leather editions are good & durable. Cambridge Bibles seem weakest at the joint of the bound pages with the cover; therefore zippered bibles are stronger here ... The goatskin Cambridge Bible covers are lighter than the durable calf-skin, but have a very thin full inside leather joining piece.

Oxford formerly published a very good smaller dimensioned, thick little pocket Bible - and optionally available in zippered case. The Personal Concord was not formerly titled "Concord", but this is the same book.

The print is too small for this 60-year age gentleman, for whom the Cameo is the better compact version; the printing is strong & tight, and appropriate for the keen sighted person.

By-the-way, Cambridge has reduced their Baker U.S. inventory, but the full Presentation Holy Bible is a real desk-book, in 10-11 point type Cameo style format (during the '80s & '90s the Concord being the largest size they sold). The AV/RV interlinear is back in print for 2007. In choosing an compact Bible to bring along to church, the Personal Concord or the Cameo are both equally convenient, I think, but only the Personal Concord [barely] fits in a man's pants pocket. For its point size, the semi-bold used in the personal Concord is good to read, and the lack of lettered referencing, replaced by full center verse annotation, makes it a first choice for semi-midget needs.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2010
This is a fantastic Bible. I had read about the quality of Cambridge bibles before on sites like [...] but I did not fully understand what was discussed there until purchasing this item. I have an NIV bible from Oxford press which is very nice, but not nearly the level of this one.

One thing that's hard to fully understand about this Bible is how the leather feels in your hand. It is by no means as supple as a goatskin cover but is much more so than the other Bibles I have purchased over the years. I realize that the French Morocco leather is produced from sheepskin and not goatskin like true Morocco leather but it is still fantastic (in my humble opinion).

Something I was concerned about was the font size. This is a smaller format Bible and I stopped buying "pocket" Bibles some time ago because I'd prefer to carry a larger Bible and have the reading be more comfortable. To my surprise it is not an issue with this. The text is clear and easy to read (though not if you need reading glasses I suspect). My only complaint about the text is the name pronunciation helps. It breaks names up into their syllables and then applies the appropriate accents. This is fine in most cases but when you get to a list of names it can make it difficult to discern the beginning and ending of the names.

The concordance and dictionary are great as are all of the study helps.

With the quality construction and materials used this is a Bible that could easily outlast me. And for the price (especially at Amazon) it is definitely worth it.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The Cambridge Personal Concord Edition is the King James Bible that I have been waiting for. It is not too large, and is nicely bound in genuine French Morocco leather. I would have preferred a calfskin or goatskin bound Bible, but French Morocco allows for affordability. I must comment, that while I give this five stars, I do not think that Cambridge has upheld the same quality of binding that they did in the past. The head-and-tail tabs on this Bible are not as carefully crafted. The gold stamping and the quality of the printing, however, is quite good.

This is a great Bible for personal study, since it has the glossary, concordance, and several maps. It also has the Cambridge cross-reference system, which is quite helpful. It is also great for use in worship, though many churches no longer use the King James Version. I highly recommend this Bible as a gift or a personal purchase for years of use.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This edition is a reduced size version of the original Cambridge Concord Bible which is still also in print, but is a full-size desktop Bible. Aside from its handier size, it's also about half the cost of its larger cousin, which as you can imagine makes it a far more attractive purchase as a gift or personal travel Bible. The layout and design is very similar to that of the older, and now out-of-print Cameo Reference Bible; it's slightly smaller, the references are the bold figure style, and the cover is crafted of a different material, but it's otherwise nearly identical.

The bold figure references are a highlight of this publication- they work by verse number, keeping all the marginal notes in the center column without having to clutter the text with superscript. Frankly, I'm surprised more Bibles don't use a similar layout. The size of the pages and text font is large enough to be easily readable, though not quite as readable as the old Cameo with its bold-face type. The Bible includes an excellent concordance, dictionary, and map section- probably the best available in ANY compact Bible currently in print. As a classic KJV text that's been in print for generations, it's clear this is a very polished and mature publication.

The materials and craftsmanship are both of very high quality, especially the cover and binding. The cover is French morocco leather, which is extremely durable under even the harshest conditions. It's a bit smoother than some older Cambridge leather covers, which is either a plus or a minus dependent on personal taste. Binding is sewn, not glued like in most other (and cheaper) Bibles, and after a few days of reading it lies flat when opened.

The pages are probably the only mark-down in the quality department. It appears Cambridge has contracted out their printing to some foreign firms, and they're obviously using lower-grade paper than in previous editions. The ink quality is also weaker- it's noticeably lighter than in my old Cameo, though not to the point that it's hard to read. When the Bible is new, the pages can be a bit sticky (possibly due to the gold-painted page ends) and it takes a while reading it to get them working. I should note, however, that although the print quality might be a bit weak compared to other Cambridge Bibles, it's still WAY better than most of those printed by other publishers.

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for, and although the Personal Concord is very costly for a compact Bible (see the competition from Nelson and Zondervan for example) it's a Bible you can expect to actually live up to its lifetime guarantee. I've bought three of them for friends and family, and they all love them. I personally think it's worth every cent; eventually you're going to pay just as much with budget Bibles, since they'll fall apart ten times over before one of these will. Add the fact that it's definitely one of the best compact KJV texts available anywhere in the world, and this is one seriously hard Bible to beat.
on March 14, 2012
I was very please that this Bible arrived a day ahead of the scheduled time. It was precisely as advertised. There is no mistaking a Cambridge Bible! I have two Cambridge Cameo Bibles. One I bought in a used bookstore in excellent condition and the second belonged to my grandmother prior to her passing. This showed me what a fine product the Cambridge line of Bibles makes. This is my first personal Concord Bible from Cambridge. It has many points that I feel worth mentioning;

1. It contained not only the translators dedication to King James, but also there notes about how the Bible was translated. Though I have many translations, I feel based on my personal research, that the KJ is by far the most accurate. So I found this very interesting.
2. There are several blank pages in the front and back that I like for notes.
3. The text and font are crisp and clear for easy reading.
4. Whereas the Cameo Bibles have letters and numbers in the text itself for reference to the center column, the Concord does not, giving the text a cleaner appearance.
5. Concordance in the back as well as a Bible dictionary. These include useful things like an extensive 'Harmony of the Gospels'.
6. 15 maps that are pretty useful including a modern map of Israel which is nice as a comparison to ancient times.
7. The French Morocco leather is beautiful and looks quite capable of lasting a lifetime.
8. The overall binding and craftsmanship appear to be what one would expect from a Cambridge Bible.

I'm very happy with this purchase and the price.
review image
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 12, 2013
Overall for the money this is a good Bible. The first one I got had a binding issue but, Baker Publishing took care of it and I got another one. This Bible has a lot packed in here for its size of 7 1/4" x 5". It has the Epistle Dedicatory and The Translators to the Readers in the front. It also had a concordance and dictionary as well as maps.
I was concerned about eye strain when I first opened it because of the compactness, but it really has not been a problem due to the font. It is a like a full sized concord just sized down. The cameo has the reference letters within the text where the concord only has them in the center column, therefore this helps the text itself seem cleaner.
This is printed on Bible paper and was printed in Belarus and bound at the Cambridge plant. The Old Testament is in the bold print they advertise and is nice to read and the ghosting is not an issue, however in the New Testament it seems like they didn't use as much ink or something. It just isn't as crisp. Perhaps this is just my copy. The cover is very stiff like cardboard. When you lay the Bible down the cover holds itself open about 1 1/2". I really wish they would have made this size Bible with better quality. I just love the size, its perfect for what I want. It is the same size as the old Cameo from the 70's. The new Cameos now are slightly larger.
on April 28, 2008
I just want to say that this is truly the perfect 'take with me' bible. I never go anywhere without a KJB and this edition is perfect to take along. It really is not a pocket bible in anyway, but rather a non-cumbersome reference bible for the true bible lover. To be honest, I haven't been happy with Cambridge lately, but I am very pleased with this new cameo edition. I will note that the font is very small. This isn't a problem for me, but for the older crowd this certainly is something to remember before you order.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
on May 16, 2015
Cambridge's KJV Personal Concord Reference Edition bible is a wonderfully compact, feature laden bible. This bible has the black, French Morocco leather cover and sewn binding. The book block edges are gold gilded and thumb indexed. The text is self pronouncing, words of Christ on earth are red letter, and words inserted by the translators are italicized. The bible contains one 1/4" black ribbon place marker.

The text is 6 point, and the font is Times semi-bold. The bible has the Epistle Dedicatory and Translators to the Reader preface, which I feel every KJV bible should include. This bible is printed by Printcorp, in Belarus. The hand sized, Personal Concord has the physical dimensions of the Pitt-Minion bibles. The good quality paper is thin, crisp, and bright white. The 6 point text is surprisingly clear and readable, with very good contrast on the white paper.

The sewn binding is flexible and allows the bible to be opened nearly flat on a table. The French Morocco leather cover is stiff and has leatherette linings and end pages. The Concord's text format is two column, with center column verse cross-referencing. Subject headings are italicized. This bible contains a presentation page, pronunciation helps index, a short glossary of biblical usage, concordance, bible dictionary, a map gazetteer, and 15 full color maps. The italicized verse cross references are very small; I'm guessing 4 point, and hard to read with my aging eyes, but the semi-bold 6 point text surprised me with its stark clarity!

The bible's unpretentious cover has no imprinting, there's no raised hubs on the spine, and the spine has Cambridge's elegant, tastefully contrasting gold imprinting. The Personal Concord bible is beautiful and made from very high quality materials. The fit and finish is impeccable. Words of Christ are a vivid, blood red. The KJV Personal Sized Concord makes an excellent travel companion and soul-winning bible. This bible has all the features and resources of Cambridge's larger editions at 1/3 the cost of their most expensive, goatskin covered bibles. I'm very surprised and impressed!

God's Blessings to you!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 22, 2010
Good Bible, nice thick leather, I was looking for a durable Bible. This will be good when I travel it has a dictionary, concordance and maps. Wish it was a little thinner but you have to give up something when you get the resources you get.