Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc - Volume 1
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 8, 2012
Mark Twain has out done himself in this work. The true story of Joan of Arc is told from the point of view of a close friend. You are with her throughout her whole life, from her humble beginnings, her miraculous entry into French politics and rise to leadership of the army to her capture, trial and martyrdom. It is amazing how much she was able to achieve in such a short time. How she was abandoned and betrayed by the King she saved and raised to the throne is very poignantly presented to the reader. Well worth reading.
on November 18, 2013
I ordered both the volume I and II of "Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" by Mark Twain through my Amazon Prime account. They were both atrociously edited with many typographical errors. Was there no one to read it before it was printed and bound for sale?

The first volume was especially difficult to read since it was in courier font and had page breaks that were non-sensical. This was ironic since the volume cover said "High Quality Paperback" and it was, to say the least, not. (Filiquarian Publishing LLC/Qontro).

The second volume, although it was a smaller, hardback edition, also had too many typos to count (one every second page or so). Which made for a very distracted reader. (Bibliobazaar, LLC)

ALSO - if there are two volumes in a series like this - it would be helpful for Amazon to list that BOTH are required (that is, if you order volume 1 - that there is one more - volume 2 - required to complete the series. Maybe listing them together on your website? Or somehow connecting them on your website when searching for this title.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustration. It was a required reading for a book club - otherwise I would have chucked them in the trash early on in the reading!
on March 12, 2012
St. Joan of Arc was an an amazing saint and Mark Twain ably handles her life. He goes into detail describing her and her childhood. It is very interesting and well-written. I highly reccomend.
on January 14, 2013
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc, Volume 1, by Mark Twain is a delightful story written by an author who needs little introduction. Lightness combines
with serious reflection on these pages. Youthful innocence is liberally laced with steadfast valor to create a valiant hero. Samuel Clemons,as always, interjects the images of pastoral peace combined with turbulent times for an
almost defeated France. Her decadent totality had been squeezed into a small
area, her leaders cowed by English conquests, her mind and psyche stifled by
hardship and war.

Joan of Arc, pastoral stewardess, true innocent, is thrust into a role by the authority of God. Her mission,to save France.

Mark Twain paints portraits of words, allowing us to witness the sordid along side valor. No person of so called worth would listen to a simple peasant,but Joan never relinquished her visions. We are rewarded with another jewel from
Mark Twains mind projects thoughts splendidly written by a master tale spinner.

spinner.
on April 26, 2013
I was unaware that Twain wrote a book about Joan and found that according to Wikipedia he considered this his most significant and best work.
I don't know about that but this is consistently entertaining with the simplicity that folklore and myth should have. I was moved to tears several times by the vivid scenes he portrayed. It's clear he was an ardent admirer and I'm definitely going to find more information on Joan after I've finished volume 2.
on July 26, 2015
Wow. We all look expectantly for the supernatural to occur in our lives. It seems that something marvelous and other-worldly happened to this (other) handmaid of The Lord and to those around her, several centuries ago.
Wish I could have been there to experience that firsthand. But this book is the next best thing. Awe-inspiring if you believe it -- and I do.
on June 4, 2013
I, for one, am grateful to Mark Twain for researching the history of this extraordinary person. She sounds like someone I would have loved to have known. I'm wondering about finishing up what happens next to her. The king was stupid to have had her burned at the stake and I'm not sure I can read about it. I liked how there was humor to some of the characters that was typical Mark Twain.
on November 24, 2012
Mark twain always hits the mark as a writer. Many authors have one book and then sputter. Msrk Twain is the American author that can keep me dazzled. enlightened and amused.
on August 10, 2012
His last work is the product of 8 years of research at the end of his life. This work is unlike any other from this iconic man of letters.
on September 12, 2014
A beautiful story and Twain tells it so well. The reader gets the complete picture of the precious little Joan of Arc who was tenacious and steadfast in her God given missionc, no matter the consequences. It is truly an inspiring read!