4.0 out of 5 stars It's encouraging me to walk more already!
Published on May 28, 2009 by retro gal

3.0 out of 5 stars The pedometers could be better
Published on May 30, 2009 by Lee Abraham

3.0 out of 5 stars The pedometers could be better, May 30, 2009
Lee Abraham (Merritt Island, FL) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
This game is a neat idea, and it has been encouraging me to walk more. For me having something that tracks my activity is a motivator. When you haven't completed the 3000 steps a day (user adjustable at any time, 3k is default, but if you continually surpass the daily goal the game will suggest raising it) the pedometer blinks red, making me feel like I need to get out there and walk. Yesterday I went for a walk when I never would have before. So the game is nice if that sort of thing can motivate you. I would think if you have someone in your family to compete with it would be an even bigger motivator.

The little games are ok. Walking 10K steps gets you a picture. As you walk more the picture slowly fills in like a connect the dots kind of thing. It gives you hints as the picture fills in, and some of them are very hard to guess, obscure things. You can also see your daily activity in graphs, but it would be a lot more interesting if the pedometers worked better. Since the meters only register activity of at least 10 seconds, it doesn't count all those quick walks across the house or office that can add up.

The pedometers seem to be well built and tough. 4.5cm x 3.75cm and about 1 cm thick. A little light flashes red when you haven't met your target and green when you have. It shuts off by itself and the manual says the battery will last about 6 months with normal use. There is a large button on it used to sync it with the DS. Syncing is usually very quick and easy, you press the button for one second and it's done. I occasionally get an error and have to try again though. Never an issue though.

After syncing it runs through your day making little comments like "This is the earliest you have started this month" or "This is the longest walk you have ever gone on." It then compares your walking to an animal which usually seems pretty inaccurate. I went on an hour long walk in the day, but had a lot of short walks around the office in the evening. The game said I was very active in the evening although I had a huge block of aerobic steps in the day (aerobic=activity over 10 minutes).

The game also gives you a mini goal for the next day like do some stretching or cut fats out of your diet. When you sync the following day and tell it you are done for the day it asks if you completed your mini goal. Nothing happens if you do or don't, I guess it's just an encouragement to think about what you do and eat.

Each pedometer comes with a clip for attaching to your pocket. You need a small screwdriver to attach the clip. I have not yet used the clip myself and not sure if I will since putting the meter in my pocket is easier. Seems to work well loose in a pocket. It also has a place to attach a lanyard, although I have read that if it can swing on a lanyard you will not get accurate results.

At first I thought most of my steps weren't registering due to walking barefoot, something the manual warns against. But after further reading, as I said above, it only registers activity of over 10 seconds. I was seeing great lengths of inactivity, that were inaccurate because I was moving, but it was inconsistent movement so it didn't register. The game was saying I didn't move for 2 hours, which wasn't true. Stop and go stuff won't register. It did seem to log jogging even though the manual said it may not be accurate. I am not sure if it was accurate or not (It did not give me an error message as another reviewer has stated, I will try again at a greater duration and see what happens and change this review if necessary). I also ran in place for a few minutes and it logged that fine.

For walking outside on the road at a steady pace I found it to be quite accurate. I walked at the same pace for 20 minutes and the graph for those 20 minutes was even for the whole duration. No spikes or drops. I walk at a fairly brisk pace also, and the game had no problems with it.

A major drawback for me is that there is no off button on the pedometers. I cycle to work sometimes and with a pedometer in my pocket all the shaking it gets from the road registered thousands of steps. If the pedometer is lying horizontal (for instance in a bag on the bike's rack) it isn't supposed to register as well, but it still does register some. Not as much when it's my pocket though. So unless I have a place to lay it somewhere flat on the bike, it greatly skews the number of steps I supposedly took for the day.

Also the game does not measure miles walked. A minor drawback but at least you don't have to calibrate the pedometer because of it.

Overall I am happy with it. I just really wish it had an off button so I could better results when biking to work. For me the game is helping me get more exercise, even if it's just walking.

Update: I have to say I have enjoyed seeing my walking patterns everyday and I am walking just to make sure I reach my goal in the game. I still have not had any errors after almost a weeks use due to jogging or fast movements.

I looked into getting a real pedometer today, specifically this one: Omron HJ-720ITC Pocket Pedometer with Advanced Omron Health Management Software. It seems to be a full featured pedometer that you can upload your daily stats to a PC. I read the reviews and read the manual for it. The Omron has much of the same warnings of inaccuracies as the games pedometers (may not be accurate with high impact, jogging, etc). You can't switch it off, but you can read your daily steps on the unit unlike the game's meters that just blink a light. The Omron resets at 12 AM the games at 3AM. The Omron's included software looks to be far better than the DS's though, but much more straight forward. The Omron is cheaper, but the DS game gives you two meters and is meant more as a family fun game that might interested kids over a real pedometer.

After looking at a few pedometers, the game's included ones seem pretty typical except for not being able to read you exact steps on the unit. They all have their inaccuracies. When I grow sick of PT: Walking, I just pay pick up a fancier meter.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's encouraging me to walk more already!, May 28, 2009
retro gal (Syracuse, N.Y.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
I've only had the game for two days, but I am quite pleased I got it. One of the things I like is that the pedometer is so small and can easily and discreetly clip to my waistband (or on other clothing). You can set a goal for the number of steps you take each day and the flashing light goes from red to green once you achieve your goal (the faint light only flashes while you are walking). When you upload your steps, you can see your activity by the hour for each day (there are also other graphs so you can see your information in a few different ways - you can see your weekly activity patterns, monthly activity patterns, average steps, etc.). The game also has 100 images that you unlock by achieving a certain amount of steps. For example, after you walk 10,000 steps, you unlock the first picture, and 10,000 more steps unlocks the second picture (I haven't unlocked this one yet). You can also compare your steps and records with other family members or use wi-fi to see how your records compare with those of other people. You can import a mii from the wii or else create one in the game. Aside from seeing your records in various ways, unlocking images, and editing your mii, there isn't much to do with the software. However, the fact that the pedometer is so easy to carry around and that you have little goals to meet definitely motivates me to walk more. I would highly recommend it if you don't already use a pedometer regularly. However, if you already use one, I doubt this game would really increase your motivation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rrainer and Motivator for Walking!, June 13, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
I've had this Trainer since it came out and it told me 2 days ago that its known me 10 days now and enjoyed everyone of them! I have to say I have really like it too! I just started working at home and wanted to make sure I got the proper exercise each day. I've had a pedometer before, but just noting that my steps were up to 5000 did nothing to get me to increase my walks. This little gadget let me import my Mi and now I have a familiar look as I hear about my day. Some people have mentioned that they had trouble getting an accurate count with socks or bare feet...I did not. I like being able to quickly look at the trainer during the day and seeing red or green. When I see green early in the day; I get a big smile. I now always make sure I make the goal for the day. At night when I check in I'm told what kind of an animal my walking resembled that day...deer, ant, and others; plus it gives you little reminder tips for the day (eat more vegetables, eat less sugar, stand straight when you walk etc.. I like to look at my calendar and see my walking graph rising, never less for me! The data I submit is saved for 5 years. I like the way it encourages me to up my goal when I met mine for some. I would not be this interested with a simple pedometer. I am a retired adult. When the software communicates it gives a squeaky sound for the voice, that I could do without. I have had an error message a few times when I tried to load my data; but I know that's because I wasn't holding it dead on. When I went back one step and tried again it worked smoothly. I am sold on this product and would recommend it to anyone who likes this type of trainer. I paid $45.00 for it and feel it was worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Walking...., June 2, 2009
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
So I've used this game/ds cartridge/activity meter/whatever you want to call it for a few days now. I really love it. I purchased this to enhance my DSi experience, not because I expected to lose weight. I love all these gadgets that make our life better while we fool around on the DS. I didn't expect some high tech pedometer--just a fun little thing to play with for a while.

I walk around barefoot all the time. I work at home. I never wear shoes, unless I absolutely have to. The activity meter registered my steps just fine. It also registered my steps when I ran as well. Overall, it worked well despite the warnings.

Miis - For the first activity meter, I imported my mii from the wii. I wish there was more interaction back and forth, because my mii on the wii is getting a little porky due to my wii fit activity! However, my mii on the ds is getting a bit healthier looking. Super easy to connect. For the second activity meter, I created a mii, which was also pretty easy and fun. Being the first DS game to use mii's, I was quite impressed. Like I said, I wish they were more connected to the wii.

Dog- I am waiting for my third activity meter to arrive so I can clip it to my dog. You can't really leave it on a dog while you aren't home, but it's an added little feature that makes the overall experience of Personal Training:Walking fun. Soon, one of pugs will be helping to illuminate the house and joining in on the space walk, with his own little mii to represent him!

Mini-Games - These are like little goals. Keep the house lit and walk the world. Space Walk is a combined game with people from all over the world. While these may not be super fun for children, I enjoy plugging records in to see how far my household and I have progressed. I'm also trying to win some trophies before the other in my household do.

View Worldwide Rankings - Using wi-fi, you can compare and compete with people from all over the world. Seriously, you can despite the other reviews saying you can't. This could be a huge motivator for some people. It's also just plain fun to see how you rank globally.

Activity Meter - It's charts and graphs mostly, but you can rate your day and leave notes. This is helpful if you had a particularly lazy or eventful day. The DS has yet to call me fat, which my wii fit has several times when I don't weigh in every day. "Why have you gained 5 pounds, is it because you haven't exercised? huh, huh?" Okay, maybe it's not quite that bad, but you get my drift. I was called a koala on a particularly lazy day. It's really fun to go back and see when you were active. Oh that is when I walked to the car. That is when I walked the dog, etc...

Compared to Pedometer - I busted out my old pedometer, which has the same inaccuracy warnings as the nintendo activity meter about being barefoot and running. I compared the results over the course of a day, and they were pretty close, about 60 steps apart. That is a normal day, with some running after dogs, walking, etc... Nintendo does not bill this as a pedometer and it really isn't...I would not buy one of these instead of a pedometer if you are trying to start a fitness routine. I use my nike+ for that. It allows for calibration and has all sorts of features. The nintendo activity meter is for fun! It just has a natural side benefit of promoting good health and exercise. (Of course, I didn't give up my yoga routine when I got the wii fit either, to each his own, i suppose.)

Overall, I'm super happy with this game and the activity meter.

EDIT: My partner just checked his first rhythm and was super excited, as he was able to see exactly when he did what by the activity chart. It was obvious when he walked the dog at 7 a.m., when he walked from his desk to the car around 8 p.m., etc... He is also way too excited that he reached his step goal before me today. He's not so excited that we only generate enough power for a flashlight. Perhaps, if we set our step goal higher, we'll be motivated to walk more and power something stronger.

Overall, it's a ton of fun to see how your activity changes through the day. We'll be working on not being so lazy during the day perhaps...

3.0 out of 5 stars It works which is a huge step us for DS pedometers, June 1, 2009
Walkin' Dude (Washinton State, USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
Unlike the Ubisoft entry, the pedometers in this package actually work and register walking fairly well. I've had the game for 3 days and while I did not count each step, the hardware seemed to register my movements as I remembered them. The graph functions of the software is nice but the "game" here is pretty anemic. However I will say this has gotten me off my butt and walking and remembering to get up and walk when at my desk, too. It even differentiates between short bursts and active periods - a nice touch. The hardware itself turns green when you reach your step goal until then you will not know how far you have gone unless you sync. I actually found this to be even more motivating to get up and walk. There is a real satisfaction seeing the light turn green, too.

After game trade-ins (including the Ubisoft attempt at the same type of game) I paid around $17 for this out of pocket. At that price I am really happy. At $50 dollars I'm not so sure. It does come with two pedometers and they do work well but if you are expecting an really fun interactive experience with the software you will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Walk your way to better health, August 21, 2009
Dragonsmashers (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
Personal Trainer: Walking is exactly what it looks like. It's a pedometer. That keeps track of your daily steps.
What isn't shown is the addictiveness of the game. Unlike most pedometers, which merely keep track of the number of steps you take, the 'Activity Meter' sets a minimum step goal for you to meet daily, and keeps track of all your steps to the minute. Plus it's very sensitive despite its size; simply throw it in your bag, or back pocket, or a rarely used pocket. And similar to the game "Wii Fit", there's a little pedometer character who encourages you to meet your daily goal, and chastises you for failing.
This daily step goal is enough to keep you walking, as after the first few days, you won't be satisfied until that little light turns from red to green. You'll end up taking more walks than usual. And before you realize it, your daily step goal will have jumped from 3000 (for beginners) to perhaps 6000. And if that's not enough, you can always injure your pride by going on online leaderboards, and seeing that the world's highest step count for that week is over 30000... and done by a dog.

It's barely a game... but it does do exactly what it says, somehow. Like Wii Fit, this 'game' makes walking (more) fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accuracy of the activity meter, June 5, 2009
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
I have only had the product for a couple of days now, but I thought I would share my findings from a test I did. I carried around my Omron pedometer in the same pocket with my activity meter all day. Note that the Omron is a fairly high end pedometer, and is calibrated to my stride for extreme accuracy. At the end of my day when I sync my activity meter with the game It read 13,404 steps, my Omron read 12,691 steps. A difference of 713 steps. I honestly thought the activity meter would have less steps with its needing 10 seconds of activity before registering, however this was obviously not the case. My day consisted of walking to and from work, normal walking in the office, and walking to and from a place for lunch. In my opinion this is a fairly small margin, more so than i was expecting with the cheaper activity meter. It is defiantly more accurate than the previous pedometer DS game. Hope this helps if you were curious of its accuracy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Exercise Motivator, But Anemic In Features, May 31, 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
`Personal Trainer: Walking' is another of a series of Personal Trainers released for Nintendo-DS-Compatible systems. Along with software to track activity data for up to four players/dogs (up to five years per player/dog, oldest data removed once five years pass), this game title includes two Nintendo Activity Meters, pedometers that measure step data (how many steps one takes in a day) and `life-rhythm' data (periods of inactivity, walking, and active walking in 10 minute spans).

The Activity Meters are designed to measure steady walking activity of people and dogs, and it may incorrectly read activity data when one is running, jogging, or other non-walking movement; or when one is constantly moving and stopping, like when traveling in a dense urban area. Wireless infrared transceivers on the Activity Meter and the game card synchronise step data, `life-rhythm' data, and daily step goals, and synchronisation is as easy as holding the Activity Meter in front of the game card's receiver for one second. They feel sturdy, the neutral colours can match the majority of outfits, and the included installable clip is handy for attaching to shoe laces or belts.

The actual software tracks and presents one's walking data, over the maximum span of five years. One is encouraged to synchronise the Activity Meters with the game cartridge at least once a day. After each day of carrying the meter is over, the software will present one with one's walking style of the day, announce if one's step goal has been reached, ask if one accomplished today's mini task (simple tasks to help better one's life, like eating healthy meals), and will ask for a stamp to show how one felt today (Very Good, Good, or Bad). One's records can be easily seen, through various graphs, and one can even make small memos chronicling the day (for example, an explanation of why the step goals weren't met).

The other features of the game title are a bit anemic if one utilises the game by one's self. I can't grade these features because I'm the sole user of the activity meters in my household. However, there is potential (though somewhat flaky potential) that one of the games, the Light Up game, could encourage social walking time. The Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection features are just as anemic, though still enjoyable. The few games available in this title would've benefited from online records playing with other friends using Friend Codes. The game also suffers from an inherent pointlessness unless the player makes a willing effort to utilise the game's information in ways that will benefit one's physical well-being. The game will not make one lose weight or will not make one healthier unless one sets proper goals and supplements the game with other healthy activities.

All in all, it's good hardware and software for recording steady walking data. The records games, Wi-Fi Connection or otherwise, aren't really worth playing unless one shares the card with other people, but has potential to make walking a social activity with the friends and family around one's self, so long as one's self, friends, and family utilise the same game card.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best to start tracking & improving your life style, November 22, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
I am a senior citizen and an avid walker. What I've never liked about pedometers
was you could keep track of your steps. With the Trainer, you see only when you reach your goal steps. It tracks steps based on time. It has a world map that uses icons based on number of steps to "walk the shape". You can set your daily goal.

Best of it has the capability of having another family member (or dog) to help you reach the goal of 100 Icons.
Extra activity meters can be ordered direct from Nintendo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get walking!, June 10, 2009
This review is from: Personal Trainer Walking (Video Game)
I read all the reviews on this before purchasing and had a gut feeling that I'd like it more than the average feedback this 'game' has gotten (I will call it a game here even though it really isn't). I am not disappointed that I took the leap. First and most importantly, if this game gets you to walk more, it's well worth $[...]. If you think about how much you spend on eating out, coffee, snacks, candy, etc. in a given month, this is $[...] well invested. Maybe it depends on your personality, but I'm amazed that people admit that this game has led them to walk more, and then give it a lower rating because it's lacking some features. Again, you really can't put a price on staying healthy, and this game definitely encourages that. How? First, it's incredibly easy to use and I really commend the developers since it's a potentially complicated process. I took one look at the software offered by the nearest competitor (which looked like it was designed by Microsoft) and immediately decided to go with the DS version. It's a pleasure to set up and use, and not a chore at all. This is a key point, at least for me. If it wasn't fun and easy, I'd stop using it pretty quickly. And that's the other big point. It's easy and fun! Many reviews have complained that the software is anemic and light. While the offerings are pretty straight-forward, it does what it's supposed to. Again, this isn't really a game. It's great to pop in my data at the end of the day, get a quick reading on my progress, see trends during the day, etc. In all, I spend no more than 5-10 minutes. I don't really want it to do more than that. I am thinking also that the addition of an infrared reader into the cartridge somewhat limited the storage space for the software. The last thing to mention is the pedometer works great on a dog. I attached it to my 2 year old basset hound and it's great to be able to track her movements and overall exercise daily. I can tell, for example, when the dog walker comes and how long she's walked :) As far as the price, if pedometers generally go for $10 each, and an average DS game goes for $20, this game is priced accordingly. But the biggest point is if you think this will help you get off the couch and walk more, then try it!

Personal Trainer Walking
Personal Trainer Walking by Nintendo (Nintendo DS)
$49.99 $8.25