From the Back Cover
Perspectives on Political Communication: A Case Approach, 1/e
Lauren Cohen Bell, Randolph-Macon College
Joan L. Conners, Randolph-Macon College
Theodore F. Sheckels, Randolph-Macon College
Perspectives on Political Communication covers far more than elections by presenting 13 unique case studies that are each examined through the political science, rhetorical, and mass communication perspectives. Case study topics include the presidency, Congress, the Supreme Court, social movements, popular culture, and elections. Each case is followed by a list of additional cases for students to explore.
The richness and depth of each case is drawn out in the analysis portion of each chapter so students can better grasp how a political scientist, a rhetorician, and a mass communication researcher think about political communication.
- The unique three-prong perspective–incorporating the views of a political scientist, rhetorician, and mass communication researcher–allows students to acquire a sensitivity to disciplinary differences while gaining a more comprehensive view of political communication.
- The case study approach gives students real-world stories to learn from while the variety of cases shows how political communication extends beyond the study of elections.
- Case studies on different aspects of the presidency illustrate the president’s three very diverse governmental/communication roles: assuming the office through an inaugural, apologizing for errors, and rallying the nation against a foreign enemy and then leading the nation into war.
- Two dimensions of the U.S. Congress–the floor and the committee–are tackled in distinct case studies offering a comprehensive look at this branch of the American government.
- Students will be drawn into the text through cutting-edge content including issues of gay and lesbian rights and how pop culture affects politics.
“This is an excellent and wide-ranging collection of case studies in political communication.” –Ferald J. Bryan, Northern Illinois University
“The strengths of this book are the great cases that are included. They are cutting edge and would make a great tool for interaction with the class. Also, they can be a leap board for further examination . . .I would describe this text as a “must have” to other instructors . . . ” –Eric Brown, Canyon College