4.0 out of 5 stars This was one of my text books for my Master's program
I liked the book. It has been a while since I used it, because it was part of my Master's Degree program, but I specifically recall enjoying the use of this book.

A lot of textbooks can be like sandpaper across my eyeballs... this, thankfully, was not one of them!
Published on January 7, 2013 by R. H.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably unprofessional
Published on January 31, 2011 by Jacki Jinx

2.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably unprofessional, January 31, 2011
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
I can not believe, based on how much I needed to spend on this book, that many of the definitions cited in the chapters are from wikipedia. Wikipedia! I can't name a single professor who would accept that on a paper, but somehow, that's perfectly acceptable in the textbook publishing world. And some of the sources aren't even cited at all! And don't get me started on the perspective bias that is in there. One incident of a man who murdered five people was insinuated to be due to a miscommunication/bad persuasion issue, but when I found information outside of the book on the incident, there was no such causation mentioned...and the author had the death count off.

Bottom-line is, although there is certainly useful information in here, but the book is constructed rather poorly, and based upon that alone, it's incredibly hard to trust the text. Certainly not worth the money spent.

2.0 out of 5 stars Complete waste of time..., July 26, 2010
Ed Williams (Colorado Springs, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
The author is so very opinionated about politics that reading it is difficult. In addition the entire book is mostly on how to be a good listener, what to listen for, etc. Only the last few chapters have any reference to how to persuade people and it's very unremarkable information. Suggested my university drop this book from their line-up.

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the editor?, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
This book is, as stated in another review, incredibly unprofessional. If I were to present this book as my written work to one of my English professors, they would laugh me off campus for making a claim founded in Wikipedia and then supporting it with more Wikipedia articles. This is not to mention the grammatical and syntax disasters throughout the book. On page 9, the author defines advocacy according to Wikipedia and then says, "Propaganda is a related word that we hear quite often." Who is 'we'? Then, he grounds that claim in Wikipedia! On the same page, he makes reference to two movies that I have never heard of and cites them without documentation telling me how I can find them to ground his argument. Someone clearly needs an APA style manual!

I think that when discussing technology in this book, since it is the 12th edition, they could have cut out 90% of technological media definitions. I feel like he is undermining the reader in telling what these devices are used for.

The style of writing in this text is relatively elementary. The author is constantly opening sections of the texts by telling us what the previous section discussed and what we are going to learn in another chapter.

The author slaps us in the face on page 17 by writing a paragraph beginning, " College students today are urged to take more core subjects and courses in computer technology." He then ends that same paragraph with, " Students are urged to take more core subjects and courses in computer technology at college." For a published text with several editions and editors, I am greatly disappointed in the redundancy and lack of argumentative support for claims.

In chapter 6, the author discuses syntax, adverbs and sentence structure. I feel greatly let down as an English major. You cant discuss half of English sentence structure and then throw in only the parts you feel like, unless you want to confuse someone. But if the person reading the text were smart enough to figure out this chapter, then they feel offended by the repetition throughout the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars This was one of my text books for my Master's program, January 7, 2013
R. H. (SE Florida) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Okay, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
I felt that the author was very well opinionated, and used his citations awkwardly in trying to prove his point.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too boring to learn from, too biased to believe, June 9, 2014
Charles (Marion, IA, United States) - See all my reviews
This was the book mandated for a 300 level communications class at a conservative university. I can not believe they use it!

To begin with, the content could be edited down to half the length. To add to it, the writer is dry and comes off as an angry Leftist that constantly ensures that we know how much of an injustice the wars are, as well as just about every other major complaint of the current American Left. It is long on theory, and short on specific advice on how to use the theory. It spends a lot of time on what is ethical, but seemingly breaks its own rules constantly to push the authors political views. It has extremely weak explanations of the theories it describes, and does little to summarize and contrast one against the others to help establish how they differ or build on each other.

As annoying, the author introduces a technical term once, then uses an acronym for it for the rest of the text. Coupled with the lack of summary review of ideas, this makes committing the terms and concepts behind them to memory near impossible. If this is the text you have to use for a course, plan on spending a lot of time with it instead of whatever you want to do with your life.

Bottom line, it is not the best text.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is a complete waste of time, January 15, 2015
This book is a complete waste of time!! Glad I didn't pay full price for it. Don't understand why the university I attend is using it!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Constant Persuasion, May 10, 2012
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
The author and thus editors are so enthralled with persuasion that they spend their time trying to persuade the reader with their liberal bias. In writing a book instructing the reader to perceive persuasion it seems as if integrating the same techniques it is disparaging would be a bad idea. I have only gottnen through the first chapter and it has been unsettling. If you have to buy it for class I guess you have to but this would not be one I would hold on to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Order, July 22, 2014
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
The book was exactly as described and arrived before the estimated date! Fast shipping, very satisfied! Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase., February 21, 2011
This review is from: Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility (Paperback)
Fast delivery. Item as described. Great purchase.

Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility
Persuasion: Reception and Responsibility by Charles U. Larson (Paperback - February 24, 2009)
$216.95 $183.40