Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pet Sitting for Profit
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on August 23, 1998
Patti Moran gives a complete overview of everything a potential pet sitter needs to consider before starting a business. I was particularly impressed with her comments regarding form of business (i.e., sole proprietorship, corporation, etc), tax considerations, and insurance, because other books about starting a pet sitting business gloss over or fail to cover these topics. Given the disasters which could occur if a business isn't properly insured or hasn't complied with tax laws, this advice is invaluable. My only complaint is that there are an awful lot of references to Patti Moran's new business; she is now engaged in supplying pet sitters with a variety of products, and she constantly refers prospective pet sitters to her catalog and excludes other sources of information and supplies. (However, her catalog does have a great variety of items.) By the way, that isn't Patti on the cover of the book -- I would have liked to see her on its jacket. In sum, you must read this book if you want to start a professional pet sitting business; it will eliminate a lot of the headaches and will point you toward valuable resources.
on August 19, 2001
I bought this book with high expectations, since Patti is billed as the "guru" of pet sitting. The information provided in the book is extensive, but it seems to me that the book is actually an advertisement for the products Patti Moran sells on her website. I thought for the price of the book, we should expect at least one business form to start our business! If you want to buy those, the catalog is free! Overall, the book helps you decide if pet sitting is really for you, and how to go about setting up the business (insurance, bonding, office practices, etc). If that's all you expect from this book, you won't be disappointed.
on February 26, 2006
First, a full disclosure -- I run my own pet-sitting business and I'm a happy, paid member of Patti's organization, Pet Sitters Internaitonal (PSI). She's a good business woman who had the sense to get out of the industry and create alliances to help those in the industry. Second disclosure, I run an organization geared directly toward helping petsitters start and run a successful business so that they can enjoy their life, work with great clients and retire happy.

Now, onto the review. I bought this book about 6 months after I started sitting full-time. I had already bought, read and devoured Lori and Scott Mangold's book.

This book was a disappointment to me -- it had been touted for so long by so many that I know and respect as THE BIBLE of pet-sitting. So, I guess I was expecting fireworks and drumrolls. None of that is here.

It's basic. It's not quite a how-to and definitely not the Complete Manual for Professional Success. But then, a complete manual would need to be much larger and more expensive.

There are alot of ambiguities as noted by other reviewers and I really wish there was a more extensive Appendix listing places to get information regarding licensing, insurance, employees vs ICs etc. for each state.

But, there's still a good overview of the business here. So it's worth having in your library -- I just wouldn't depend on this as my sole guide to starting and running a successful pet-care business.
on February 12, 2004
I have had some experience with walking/sitting for some time with an established agency and recently branched out on my own. I bought an earlier version of this book, so that was my mistake. I recommend getting the 1997 revised edition, as the 2nd one is not at all geared for today's computer literate individual. No type of e-mail, website or even detailed computer database info is addressed, which is understandable given the date of revised publication (1991). At that time, home computer use was in its infancy, unlike today, where owning a home computer is as common as having a television.
On the whole this book provided some very valuable information, even for someone with previous professional experience like me. However, there were some points that were just common sense...such as a rambling paragraph about dealing with a toilet overflowing (due to litter disposal). I enjoyed the business suggestions much more that the home repair tips!
I DO think this is a valuble tool for a starting-off sitter. Worthwhile, but a bit "cutsey". But take some of the filler with a grain of salt- and also, skip the numerous plugs for Moran's product line. I suggest that you call for info from others in your area and obtain their business forms so that you can base your info on real competitors, instead of shelling out for forms you'll use only as a general model.
on February 11, 2003
Good, but the author assumes that you know and seek out other literature on how to start a small business. So if you have no experience with starting a business, and you want to do this type of business, you will need to seek out other books that cover general small business topics like writing a business plan, researching your market, etc. I suggest "How To Start Your Own Business: The Only Start-Up Book You'll Ever Need" by Rieva Lesonksy. I don't know if her title is absolutely true, but it's definitely a good, comprehensive start.
on July 21, 2006
This is the Third Edition of an excellent book on the business aspects of pet sitting. Author Patti Moran is one of the pioneers in this field and she provides a wealth of useful information. Be aware that this information is primarily for business aspects of pet sitting - guiding you through everything from phone lines to forms. It does NOT provide information on pet care - assuming that you are already somewhat competent since you are itnerested in this field.

Filled with "real life" experience, Ms Moran covers office procedures, insurance, advertising and marketing.

The chapter on Getting Started will be extremely useful for someone starting up a pet sitting business with a work force of one - namely you :) Much of the rest of the book is geared for the pet sitting business that has expanded to multiple employees. Still, that is an area where many dog businesses fail - right when they expand.

This book is an excellent resource for anyone with a dog business. Much of the businees savvy advice could apply to any dog themed business.

This book is well worth its price for the budding entrepeneur
on April 28, 2000
Bought this book after pet sitting for 3 years. This is a book every pet sitter should read. I thought I "knew" it all. Even after 20 years of advertising experience, Patti's marketing advice gave me new advice that has already proven effective. This book is the bible for every pet sitter. Rita Wood, Critter's Pet & Horse Sitting
on August 16, 2001
I felt that Patti Moran spent too much time talking about personnel issues rather than the day to day issues of a sole proprieter business. You could find most of the information contained in her book in any generic business text. I would have liked to hear more of the personal experiences of pet sitters, the best and worst parts of their jobs, what to expect, etc.
on August 16, 2001
This book is not what I expected. Too much emphasis is put on employees, i.e. hiring, training, motivating, even nutrition for your employees! Most of the books information could be found in a generic business text. I wanted a book that explaines what is it like to be a professional pet sitter, more real life experiences, good and bad. I'm still trying to decide whether this is the right occupation for me. This wasn't helpful.
on August 18, 2004
This book offers excellent advice on how to profit in the pet business. Patti Moran knows the business and covers the bases well. This is a must read book if you are looking to start a home based pet sitting business. Another good book I found on the pet business is "Raising Pet Birds for Profit-The Greatest Backyard Business Ever", by James McDonald. Both businesses offer the entrepreneur who is looking for a home based business working with animals good opportunities.