5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to a Buster Cube

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Idea But Not as Great in Practice for Us
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:01 Mins
Published on May 28, 2008 by Jennifer King

5.0 out of 5 stars Good alternative to a Buster Cube, July 6, 2007
This review is from: PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug Meal Dispensing Dog Toy, Medium/Large (Misc.)
This toy takes more effort to get food out than the Buster Cube, which I like because it occupies the dog longer. I find that the cube, even on its "hardest" setting only takes a few minutes to get out most of the food, and then the rest doesn't come out no matter how long the dogs work it. With the bottle the dogs can get nearly all the food out if they keep at it.

At first you should fill the bottle so that it is over half full. This way food can come out more easily when it is on its side. This will encourage the dog to play with it. Once the food level goes down food will only come out as they toss and pull the bottle. It took my dog a few days to get to this, but now she seems to have mastered it. She stands the bottle up and knocks it over, putting food into the neck, then she works the rope a bit and manages to get a piece of kibble out. When I first got the toy I thought she would never be able to figure it out, but she has. Even so, it takes a fair amount of work to get out just a few pieces of food, so it can keep them occupied all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Power-Chewers!, May 19, 2007
Patricia Miller (Western PA United States) - See all my reviews
Our 16 month old yellow lab loves to play with empty 2 liter pop bottles. I bought him this toy because I worried he would cut his mouth and gums on the sharp plastic shards of those flimsy bottles. No worry about that with the Tug-a-Jug...this toy will most likely survive through the next millennium!

To fill with treats, just twist off the bottom; couldn't be easier. It's a lot of fun watching our dog figure out how to get at the goodies inside.

I honestly don't think the rope pull is going to last very long; especially if you are buying this for an aggressive chewer. However, don't let that stop you from buying the tug-a-jug. Even without the rope, it's still a great and challenging toy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the Idea But Not as Great in Practice for Us, May 28, 2008
Length:: 1:01 Mins

Tucker was nervous about this toy at first (as you'll see in the video) but really warmed up to it quickly and has enjoyed gnawing on it. However, this has not worked very well for us as a treat dispenser. I consider Tucker to be quite a clever puppy, but after fiddling with the tug-a-jug for a couple days, he just began bringing the thing to me and dropping it at my feet for me to dispense the treats for him. (I suppose that may be evidence of just how clever he is!)

3.0 out of 5 stars If your dog chews out the rope..., July 30, 2008
Try putting a tennis ball inside the bottle. My Border collie chewed the rope out too- to make it more challenging then just knocking it over and treats spilling out really easy, I put a smaller sized tennis ball inside so she still has to work the bottle back and forth in order to get the treats to go from the back of the bottle to the neck. Hope this helps! -Ali & *Kylie *the border collie/flat coat retriever mix

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for a medium chewer!, September 28, 2008
jwhite122 "Math Teacher" (Connecticut, United States) - See all my reviews
I have a medium size dog - 38 pounds. He enjoys to chew on things but I have never thought of him as a heavy chewer. The night I received this he was so excited about it. It was so tempting to see, hear and smell the treats. Well, within 20 minutes the toy was in the garbage. He chewed off the rubber toy that blocks the treats from coming out. He then started to chew where the smell of the treats is able to escape. The plastic fell apart so easily! He then started to break off little pieces. I woudl not recommend this for a medium or large sized dog!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Little Toy, June 29, 2007
Carl S (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
My Boston Terrier really loved this toy. With treats inside, it honestly kept him busy for about an hour as he tried to figure out how to get them. Unfortunately, the rope, which was his favorite part of the Tug-a-Jug, was pretty much shredded after only a few days of play, and without it he's mostly lost interest in the toy. But, if your dog isn't an intense chewer, this toy should be able to last quite a while, and keep them intrigued.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not Jasper proof, May 5, 2007
This toy is great for preventing my dog from inhaling all his food. Unfortunately it takes him less than an hour to empty it, so it's doesn't keep him as occupied as long as I'd like. So far minimal/suspected wear (bottle is scratched up and some of the nibs of the rubber chew part are gone) and I'm waiting to see if he manages to untie the knot of the rope (like he has on another toy).

Update 6/30/07: The screw on part has suffered some damage. It's almost as if Jasper bit it while it the toy was intact, nearly breaking a chunk out of it. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy another or find another toy. (So if I could I'd drop my rating to 3 stars.)

Update 12/30/07: Now the rope is "unraveling" near the top knot and it's getting stuck in the opening, making it hard for even me to get the rope out enough to dislodge the food. So it's definitely time for a new toy to dispense Jasper's food, which could very likely be this one simply for the ease of loading the food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy for a dog that's tough on toys, August 16, 2007
Our dog loves her Bad CUZ, but this toy she loves more than any other. She's a VERY tough chewer, and it's survived for quite some time with no damage. One thing - protect your toes with this toy - it's pretty heavy and does get swung around a bit. I wouldn't recommend this toy if you have low tables with knick-knacks, sensitive shins or teeny kids that may get bonked with it. Ours has gotten thrown (by the dog) repeatedly down the stairs onto a hard floor and hasn't broken yet.
As far as treats to go into it - remember that the rope is knotted inside the jug, so don't put anything into the jug that's soft or the rope will end up smelling REALLY nasty...

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps the pup busy!, May 18, 2010
Length:: 1:06 Mins

I was skeptical when I bought this toy because of all the reviews I read of people reporting that their dogs couldn't figure out how to use it. My pup figured out a strategy within about 5 minutes. It continues to be a useful toy for times when I want to keep her busy, and also for everyday feeding. If you've got a dog who likes puzzles, this is a great toy. This video shows two very different ways of approaching the tug-a-jug puzzle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tug-a-Jug lasts 5 minutes., October 15, 2008
I was very disappointed with the tug-a-jug. It came in the mail today. The dog had it for 5 minutes and she had the rubber rope chewed in half in that short amount of time. A waste of money for me. I have yet to find something that this black lab doesn't destroy in record time.

PetSafe Busy Buddy Tug-A-Jug Meal Dispensing Dog Toy, Medium/Large