Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Petco Bookshelf Freshwater Fish Aquarium
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 3, 2013
This tank is awesome. It doesn't leave big footprint, it's long (24") it's SO QUIET, and FYI I use mine without the black plastic piece that fits at the bottom. I hope that's not bad, since I saw that piece after I had already filled it up lol! I just figured 'well, it doesn't ...seem...to need it' so I have it set up without it. I couldn't be happier with it. It sits on my low IKEA coffee table (which I use between two beds as a joined end table. My only eyebrow raiser is that the light does have a bluish tint which can make the water seem not as clear, but that is a personal preference and I think I'll end up replacing the bulb with a 'daytime' one. I just love this tank though and will be very mindful not to scratch it (as previous reviewers have stated it scratches so easily so be careful with moving your substrate around!) Oh and this thing came the next day! I live in ATL, GA so maybe that has something to do with it.
on May 7, 2013
i ordered this to go on my kitchen counter, when it arrived it looked great and fit perfectly where I wanted to sit it. The first thing was the filter leaked like crazy, I called the company they refunded the money back to my card and apologized. then upon inspection I noticed that the bulb was in the red spectrum so had to replace it along with the ballast. Also the other reviewers are correct it does scratch easily, very very easily. I used an old worn out scrub sponge...mistake. If this item were priced at 30 or 35 bucks it would be idea,wait and catch it on sale is my advice.
on February 2, 2012
This tank is great! The filter is quiet, the water flow is adjustable, and it does an decent job filtering the tank. I like that it is long and not tall. My Betta seems to enjoy the swimming room and isn't bothered by the water flow. There's plenty of space for customization without clutter. This is a great tank for those that want to upgrade but aren't ready to go all out or don't have a lot of space.
review image
on February 26, 2013
This is a nice size for a 'bookshelf' aquarium tank. The problem is, after I had moved and set it up again, I noticed it was leaking very slowly but steadily. An acrylic aquarium should never leak if it's all one molded unit like it should be. The light and filter that came with it worked great and this was an attractive tank until I had to throw it away.
on November 28, 2012
While this tank retails for almost $50, I got it during a Petco online sale for $36. I mention this because I'm not sure the tank is really worth almost $50. Then again, if it suits your needs, it's a fine setup and I really like it.

It fits perfectly on my kitchen counter, out of the way. Though people have complained about the filter, I don't have a problem with it. It's quiet and it's adjustable. It's worth stuffing some extra media into the filter compartment, and there is room for filter floss or a small sponge. One drawback is that the filter will only fit on the left side. I'd have preferred it in the middle. You can easily replace the filter if you need to with something of higher quality. If you're keeping a betta, the one included should be fine. The adjustable flow is nice.

The access point is a tiny little door on the front. It's mildly annoying because my betta hasn't yet figured out that he has to come to that exact spot to be fed. He's used to swimming to an open surface where I can feed him at any angle. In order to access the tank you have to remove the light and remove the plastic lid. If you're not a tank tinkerer, it's probably not a big deal. If you have live plants like I do, and you tinker, it's a bit of a process. The light that comes with the kit is fine for fish but not suitable for plants. It's easily replaced with a 6,700k. The light fixture itself is a little quirky, or at least mine is. Sometimes I have to turn it on and off several times to get it to come on.

I've heard this tank referred to as acrylic, but it's not like regular tank acrylic. It's more like plastic. It does indeed scratch VERY easily. I've acquired several scratches just in the process of aquascaping. If you're going to hardscape with rocks (or even use a gravel substrate), be very careful. I'm not yet sure what I should be using to clean the algae off the sides. So far I've been using my fingers, nervously. Luckily, the scratches aren't visible unless I'm up close. I am, however, keeping the tank out of reach of my toddler. A matchbox car could wreak havoc.

Though the tank is very small, it has a huge footprint for 6.6 gallons. Because there is so much space, I've been able to house some pygmy corydoras with my betta. They are exceedingly happy and have plenty of room. Be aware that the tank is very short, and so you need a very small heater, or else one that is submersible and can go horizontally.

I am overall very happy with this tank and I would absolutely buy another. It's a wonderful betta setup and would also work for any microfish or school of small tetras. I think my only real complaint is the ease with which the plastic scratches.

Edit: I have had the tank running for four months now, and today the filter died. It had stopped a few times and I thought it was because there was a grain of sand in the impeller, but gradually it began to stop more frequently. Today I couldn't resurrect it. As many others have done, I replaced it with another small Aqueon HOB filter. It's not a big deal to me, and I would still buy the tank again. But be warned that the filter that it comes with is cheap and may not last.
on June 15, 2013
I bought this tank to replace the 5 gallon bowfront tank my Betta was living in. I wanted to give him more room to swim and this tank seemed perfect. I love the tank itself. The size is great, it fits right on the top shelf of my bookcase. The filter is another story. I had read some of the reviews on here that stated the filter leaked, but I liked the dimensions of the tank so much that I decided to go ahead and buy it anyways. The filter leaked from the area were the motor connects to the plastic. I took it to my local petco and they replaced it. At the store I put some water in it to make sure it didn't leak, seemed ok. When I got it home and actually turned it on it leaked also. Not wanting to make another trip I tried sealing it myself with aquarium safe silicon, so far so good. The filter is also a bit too powerful, even on it's lowest setting it was too much current for my betta. I had to modify it with a piece of sponge. So I guess if you are ok replacing or fixing the filter I would say go ahead and get it.
on January 16, 2012
This tank is exactly what it says in the description, and a great value in my opinion. It's about 24L" x 9H" x 8"D, which looks bigger than it really is because everything is right up against the glass. I put mine on the ubiqitous "Billy" bookshelf from IKEA that everyone (including me) seems to own, and it fits perfectly - remember, you need to leave room for the filter assembly to hang off the back, so a 10-gallon tank would not have fit on the same shelf without hanging over the edge.

The construction and materials are more than acceptable for this price range. The tank is one-piece molded plastic and there were no flaws or scratches anywhere. The bulb is very bright - like having an extra table-lamp in the room. The filter assembly is certainly large/powerful enough for this tank, but it's rather loud, like a laptop with its fan going full-speed. All in all it's a very tidy and attractive little setup that looks like it cost more than it did.

I have two fancy goldfish in the tank and they seem happy enough - I'd say that's about the limit of what this tank should hold. It would seem huge for a single Betta, but definitely too small for Cichlids or other schooling/tropical fish. I'm very happy with the purchase overall.

I should also note that when I first received it, the bulb would not turn on, and after using Amazon's "File A Claim" option, PetCo replied with an email right away offering to let me exchange it at any PetCo retail store. I jiggled the bulb a little and it worked fine, but it was nice to know that I wouldn't have to mail the whole tank back if I wanted a return/replacement.
on February 3, 2012
I just received this tank and I am so excited. It arrived in perfect condition, and was packaged securely. I have never personally set up a tank before, aside from the bowl our goldfish has been living in. Set up was a breeze, quick and easy. The filter is extremely quiet. It made a lttle noise when the water was first filtering through it, but then stopped once it was cycling through completely. Anyone who has a noisy filter should return it for a new one. The flow of the filter seems good for this size tank. It does not seem too strong or too weak. I guess I will know for sure in a week or two as to how clean the tank is. As for the light, that works great too. It is florescent, I believe, so it flickers for a few seconds before it goes on completely. I would totally recommend this set up to anyone. As the tank is acrylic, I would recommend putting in a place where it is not touched too much by little hands, because I have read it can scratch easily. Ours is on our kitchen counter and does not take up much room. It provides a nice relaxing atmosphere, especially at night with the light on. ENJOY!!!
on August 29, 2013
I've never seen another tank with these dimensions, and I love it. It's the perfect tank for my youngster. I like the curved front too. That's the good. The less good: the lid is not super functional and somewhat out of date. It has a large fluorescent bulb that is not very efficient (it gets hot). You must remove the light and a clear cover to access the tank, unless I am missing something. Additionally, the filter I received leaked. But, I messaged Petco through Amazon, and they responded within an hour with a $15 credit. I can replace the filter for that. Excellent service.
on October 30, 2012
I recently purchased this tank and had a problem with a small leak where the motor fits into the bottom of the filter compartment (has an o-ring). I tried loosening, retightening and wiggling it numerous times, but could not stop the leak. so took the filter compartment and motor back to the store, and they gave me a new/replacement, no questions asked. unfortunately, i've got the exact same problem! definitely, a design flaw. i really want to keep the tank and filter, but need to figure out how to stop the darn leak!! for now, i set a plastic bin under it to catch the water... anyone else have this issue and was able to resolve it???