Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 7, 2014
My 3-year-old loves Pete the Cat books and is pretty much obsessed with the White Shoes book and Pete's Wheels on the Bus. We also have the Pete Saves Christmas for holiday bedtime. I figured the Easter book would be right along the same lines as the Christmas one. Not so much. The Christmas one rhymes decently and has a little song (though cheesy) that runs through it. It also has the all-important VW bus that hipster Pete drives.

This book doesn't have much of the groovy stuff of the other books and is somewhat blah. I hate to say that I expected more from a children's book about a spazzy-looking cat, but I kind of did. So, does it get the bedtime job done? Sure. Does it do it with rock 'n roll style? Nope.
on February 11, 2014
The Pete the Cat books without the collaboration of Eric Litwin as an author just isn't the same. It's missing the fun little jingle that was written into the first Pete the Cat books. It just seems to fall flat. My daughter requests the Pete the Cat books that Eric Litwin authored vs. the new ones without him.
on February 11, 2014
First, I'd better be honest. We LOVE Pete the Cat (PTC). Our entire family can sing all the PTC songs, and despite the fact that we are FIRMLY "dog people" we are considering getting a cat, just to name him Pete. I love the books, I love Pete with his almost-rastafarian laid back attitude. And PTC's phrase "goodness no" has prevented our son from melting down into tears several times....when Mommy says, "And do we cry?" he'll respond, "Goodness No!" Especially if it is something semi-silly. But I digress. Pete the Cat's big Easter adventure is less "big" and even less "an adventure" it's just a little boring, It just doesn't have the 'ZING!" of rocking my school shoes or my buttons, my buttons, my four groovy buttons! Nothing we found as catchy. I think this one will sit on the shelf rather than getting the extensive reading time of the other books in the series. Yet we're anxiously awaiting the delivery of the tractor book....We love you PTC!
on June 11, 2014
We miss the Pete books written by Eric Litwin. The writing just doesn't have the same flair and appeal for myself or my kids as the first Pete the Cat books. I don't think we will be purchasing anymore Pete books, which is a shame, because the character was really cute and fun in the hands on Mr. Litwin.
on February 27, 2016
Purchased this for my 4 year old son to put in his Easter umbrella (we are opting for something different than a basket this year!) I love that it's hard cover and will be able to withstand my 1.5 year old. The colors are fun and vibrant, as always with Pete the Cat books. It comes with 12 Easter cards, a pull out poster and Easter Pete the Cat stickers all located in the back of the book. I like that they are put there, so that the pages will not damage when removing the bonus goodies.
on February 3, 2016
We Love Pete the cat! We first read Pete when my son was in kinder. He is now in 2nd grade and we still love Pete! My daughter as also grown to love Pete just as much.
This is great for any family. This book is great for upcoming Easter and throughout the year. Such a joy to read! Pete never fails to make my kids smile! Pete is always the go to book for our family! Thanks Pete!
on March 19, 2016
Pete the Cat books are the only books my 4 year old son will read so this was a great addition. Nice hardcover with vibrant colors and great additions like a poster, Easter cards, and stickers. This isn't as good as some of the other Pete books but if your child struggles with no interest in reading and they like Pete, this is a winner. We have already read it many times!
on March 22, 2016
My thoughts on this Pete the Cat Easter book: Don't buy it. Half of the book is taken up by a fold-out poster, 1 sticker sheets, and 3 tear-away sheets of Easter cards. If you really WANT a poster and 1 sticker sheet and cards, maybe it's worth the price for you. The story itself? Short and anti-climatic. Pete wakes up to a note from the Easter Bunny asking for help. Pete dresses up like a bunny, finds eggs, paints eggs, hides eggs, then the Easter Bunny shows up and says, "Good job." The End.

The book doesn't have the rhythm and flow that other Pete books have had. The author -almost- had something going with this line: "A cat with ears like a bunny - now that's funny!" This line was repeated once 2 pages later "A cat dressed up like a bunny - now that's funny!" The book could have continued with this theme, showing all the funny things Pete was doing while he played Easter Bunny, and the kids could shout "NOW THAT'S FUNNY!"

But no. This almost-brilliant idea petered out really quickly.

What's missing? Eric Litwin's songs. A good storyteller can make almost any book engaging for kids, but it's certainly helpful when authors and illustrators like James Dean and Eric Litwin combine forces unleash their creative genius on the world. Pete the Cat was an overnight success with the combination of simple and fun stories that involved children in the telling of the stories, whimsical illustrations, and best of all: Eric Litwin's songs. Singing the first few Pete books and acting out some of the motions really made children come alive, and made story time something magical that they looked forward to.

With that said, I've been disappointed with the Pete the Cat books that Eric Litwin has not worked on. No song? The singing is what made Pete so spectacular! It was a gimmick that really worked.

I understand the lack of song in Pete's early reader books, and those early readers are chosen by parents and kids because they have a recognizable character, just like any other early reader with a favorite character. However, none of the newer picture books have companion songs. It's clear that Eric Litwin is done with his Pete the Cat song-writing. The illustrations are still cute, but the stories have become lackluster without memorable prose. There's hundreds of other picture books out there with great illustrations that have more engaging stories. It feels now that James Dean (and more recently his wife Kimberly) are just capitalizing on the character of Pete, with less thought about writing a story that really grabs the attention and imaginations of kids.

My own girls are 7 and almost 9. Even though they have both advanced in their reading level beyond picture books, we still often come back to our favorite picture books when we sit down to read together. They both still choose Pete on a regular basis, but they choose one of the 4 titles that have a companion song: I Love My White Shoes, Rocking in My School Shoes, Four Groovy Buttons and Pete the Cat Saves Christmas.

Our other Pete books sit collecting dust. Time to donate them to the library.
on February 22, 2016
This book was bigger than I thought it would be, which isn't a bad thing. My son got his first Pete the cat book as a gift for his baby shower. It was soo cute I decided to get the whole series as he grows older. I love that there are books for holidays!!
on January 1, 2016
Some of the Pete the Cat stories are pretty good, but I'm not a huge fan of this one. This book comes with a giant poster but my kid pretty much ignores the poster. In my opinion, this is overpriced. The wheels on the bus Pete book is much better.