Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on November 14, 2013
This children's librarian is SO disappointed. The first three Pete the Cat books have a groovy charm that makes them read-aloud hits with everyone from three-year-olds to third graders. (I haven't read them to older kids -- yet.) They fly off the shelves at my public library -- if you want a Pete the Cat book, you'll probably have to place a hold and wait for a while. Unfortunately, the magic is missing from Magic Sunglasses, and so is author/musician Eric Litwin. I hope Pete can get his groove back, but I suspect that Litwin's absence is the problem. Come back, Eric! Pete the Cat needs you!
66 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2013
I love the message and, of course, the illustrations, but it lacks the whimsy of the other Pete the Cat books. The kids loved to sing along with the songs and to shout out the phrases that were repeated in the first books (ex. "Goodness, no!") I hope this is not the end of Pete the Cat. Please bring Eric Litwin back.
on October 26, 2013
Not as good as the first three Pete books. Disappointed. It's not all good anymore! Not sure if I'll buy any new Pete books if the writing is like this.
on October 1, 2013
Although I do like this book, it's obvious that it was not written by Eric Litwin. I really miss Eric Litwin's Pete the Cat books.
on October 7, 2013
OK.. this book starts with Pete the Cat being grumpy. What, No, It is suppose to be all good!! It is clear on every page this is not written by Eric Litwin. Who is Kimberly Dean? Is this James Dean's wife? I feel a little Yoko Ono situation happening!! I miss the original Pete the Cat.. But would Pete cry? Goodness no because writers come and writers go. The moral of this story is: do not let your family member mess up a good series!!!
33 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2013
This book pales in comparison with the other books. While its predecessors were witty and charming, this book is not. I'm sorry to say that the writing and the story felt forced, like it is trying too hard to recapture the feel of I Love My White Shoes and Four Groovy Buttons. One of the best things about these books are the accompanying songs and this clearly lacks that. It pains me to write this review because Pete the Cat is a HUGE favorite in our house but it seems that with the exit of the previous author, the magic went out with him.
on December 11, 2013
You can tell there's a different author for this book.
I read this to a few kindergarten classes and thought there were too many words (as opposed to the other Pete the Cat books). I also thought it didn't flow as well.

The same great message is still there, and for that, it's worth a read
on January 23, 2015
5 stars for the illustrations 1 star for the nepotism. Yes you want to support your spouse and from reading a few articles Kimberly Dean is an aspiring novelist not a children's writer. She is the Yoko of children's literature. The first two books had magic they flowed and captured kids attention from the start. Although a decent book it pales in the shadow of the original writer but it will remain a hit as long as Pete remains the same. From my understanding it was James insistence on having his wife write the new books that made Litwin leave. How would James Dean feel if Litwin had said well Eric Carle is a good friend of mine lets have him create new illustrations for Pete the Cat while you take a back seat. Unfortunately Kimberely Dean's writing talent is nowhere near Eric Carle's artistry. Thank goodness kids don't yet understand adult drama but still have to deal with mediocre books because of it.
on October 2, 2013
I and my 5 year old LOOVE Pete the Cat Shoes/School/Buttons books. This was very disappointing. The text is very bland and uninspiring. The graphics are flat and uninteresting. Pete is having a bad day and encounters other similarly grumpy animals . Putting on magic sunglasses changes their attitudes. That's it. There is no charm or wit of the other books. The repetitive rhyme is banal and trite. Also does not have a song with it (viewed on harpercollins website as per book sticker). Of the Pete the Cat books we love and read over and over again (and 5 year old even memorized by heart), all had story by Eric Litwin. This book does not.
on October 18, 2013
I pre-ordered Pete The Cat and His Magic Sunglasses because I fell in love with the other Pete the Cat books. This one, although it has a good message, seriously lacked the quality that the first three original books had... the on-line story and song. Eric Litwin had something fresh and original with the 'groovy' attitude of Pete the Cat and the wonderful lyrics that went with it. My adult sisters and my adult friends had to buy these books for their grandkids when I introduced them to the books and on-line music and story. I would not recommend this one as a Pete the Cat book. It is written my James Dean and his wife, James Dean was the original Pete the Cat artist. It just lacks the 'pure joy' and groovy attitude of the original three Pete the Cat books. It is a nice story, but without Eric Litwin, it's just another nice kids book.