Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pete the Cat: Play Ball! (My First I Can Read)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 6, 2016
The Pete-the-Cat books are our favorites in the "My First Level, I Can Read!" series. Pete may not be as well known as Little Critter, Biscuit, Fancy Nancy, or the Berenstain Bears, but his groovy cool factor moves him to the top of our list.

Unlike some of the "I Can Read" books, the Pete books usually have a complete story, with a clear beginning, a couple of developments in the middle, and then a satisfying ending. I like that even in very early readers. What happens makes sense and the endings are sensible, and groovy.

Each fully illustrated page has two sentences, running from four to seven words each. That's a nice length and a good and fair challenge for a little starting reader. The drawings fully support the text, and while they look a bit amateurish at first the characters are actually expressive and presented effectively.

The "message" if you want to call it that, of this book is that you just have to try your best, and whether you get a hit or strike out, whether you drop the fly ball or catch it, the important point is to do your very best. Pete always gives it his all and that what makes him such an interesting hero for such an early reading level series.

So, this is one of the few early readers books that strikes me as "set worthy" and we've been happy to collect them all over time. The paperback versions are particularly good value.
on February 26, 2013
We are such big fans of Pete the Cat books at our house that when I saw this book, I had to preorder it for my 4 yr old. We read it today, and eh, it was okay. Of course the story is limited by the fact that it is an early reader book and has to use words easy for little kids to read. But I guess, I just expected the same magic that was in the other Pete the Cat books, and didn't quite get it. Pete the Cat was still pretty groovy, and it did have a good message when Pete made mistakes playing ball, it repeated the message "Pete is not sad. He did his best". I liked that, it is a great, positive message. So in summary, it was a decent plot for an "I can read" book, but doesn't quite have the magic of the original Pete the Cat books!
on November 25, 2014
I heard a lot of good things about this book series but I didn't like this book. It seemed to tell kids that it's ok to be bad at something and not try to do better. I think it should have said that it's ok to not be the best, or to make mistakes, but that you should practice and that it is hard work to do something well. This was just 'it's ok to be really bad at something, people won't care so long as you tried'. Not horrible, just wish they would have built off of it more than they did.
on October 30, 2013
My nephews and niece love Pete the Cat, so I bought this book for my nephew's 6th birthday. I was appropriate reading level for him, and it was fun to hear him read it aloud to me.

The only thing was the story wasn't so great. I'd probably pass on this Pete the Cat book, and try another if I had the chance.
VINE VOICEon March 3, 2013
My kindergarten age and younger grandchildren all enjoy this series and have waited for this new one. Play Ball is special since it teaches good sportsmanship even when you don't hit the ball, catch the ball, or land safely on home plate.
on February 27, 2013
I bought this book for my six year old daughter. This is the second Pete book she owns, and she can read alot of the words in this book. She just love love this story and will be reading it on her own very soon. This book is all about having fun, doing your best, not getting angry, keeping your cool and never giving up even if things doesn't seems to be going your way at that moment, which is a good message for young kids to learn. The book is about Pete can't seem to hit the ball at the baseball game and reamins optimistic as he tries to get his groove back. The book is colorful and will keep your child engaged.
on March 23, 2013
I teach First Grade and my students are all in love with Pete the Cat! Having a new series of "I Can Read" books coming out helps to put the love of reading in their own hands.
on April 17, 2013
My son is a big fan of Pete the Cat we even got him at Pete the Cat stuffed animal. Big that was a big hit I love Early Reader books, and when I discovered this book and Pete's Big Lunch I decided to purchase them. I like how when Pete striked out or missed a pop ball playing in the outfield Pete kept his cool. Going to get Pete's Day at the beach when it comes out on the 21st of May too! Because it's all good!
on November 30, 2013
This is an additional great book for first readers. My four and a half year tutee loves Pete the Cat books and enjoy repeating the sentence after I read each one. I ask him questions about objects on each page, and he enjoys the questioning.
on October 30, 2014
Pete the Cat books are always a hit with my kids. (boys ages 3 and 5) The stories are clear and concise, the font is large and there aren't too many words on each page. Pete the Cat books are perfect for kids in pre-K or Kindergarten that are just learning to read. Most of the Pete the Cat books end up with some kind of "lesson" about sharing or trying your hardest even if you don't win and can seem kind of cheesy to me but my kids still enjoy them. The illustrations are super cute and make the book very engaging for those who cannot read and are just being read to.