Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on February 17, 1999
This is the most frequently referred-to book I own. Its wealth of detail can keep you entertained - and informed - for many hours. While it is rather dated, most pages being drawn in 1978 and 1982, it still provides a phenomenal amount of information on the bands of the time.
on May 4, 2015
Back in the 70s I used to buy an import magazine called sounds, every once in a while they would have a family tree it was the best part of this publication. Pete frame has put together a very enjoyable and informative book. The pages open up into a large family tray, you can trace musicians from start to finish band members and where they started and where they ended up. As I said for my title this is a must have for true rock fans . How wonderful history lesson.
on July 23, 2005
Hi, I`ve been listening to Music for a long time now and went through a lot of different styles and moods.

Two months ago my girlfriend bought me this book and I am most pleased to research again and again through all the small and big events that marked the best era of Rockmusic.

Through Pete I`ve learned that the picture on the front cover of Airplanes Surrealistic Pillow was taken at the Matrix. Way to go!!

I just don`t know if, by mentioning that Zeppelin never released a single, Pete was refering only to the UK ..? Because in the States the monsterpiece Whole Lotta Love came out as a single in Nov. 69. But I`m just a reader!

Thank you Pete!!!
on July 9, 2005
Back in the pre-Internet days many of us gleaned info from record albums, and searched out new music by musicians and producers on liner notes because we had little else to guide us.

In the early 80's Pete Frame was a beacon of light, fleshing out band histories, changes and spinoffs and adding context to the evolution of many great music scenes. At that time few decent books covered anything but specific band histories, and Frame's rtees made for hours of fun reading and paths to explore to expand musical boundaries. His work is as relevant and vital now as it ever was

The only thing that came close to being as valuable a resource was Terry Hounsome's Rock Record which indexed bands and musicians but offered little more that than and basic discography info.

Pete Frame invented a new art form and it shows when you look at how many others copy his style on the web today or just outright steal his work for band reference web sites. It's a shame his various books have been hard to find over the years and that there hasn't a fully comprehensive collection of Frame's work. This suggests it is but I think still misses some stuff that can be complemented by other books - and as far as I know Frame is still churning out new ones, though probably at a much slower pace. So this is as good as it gets as far as an overview of Frame's work, and it's very good.

This book is well worth the price and will offer hours of info and and fun trivia to any music fan interested in just about any realm of rock music in the last few decades.
on September 1, 2011
We have a couple of Peter Frame's rock history books. They are amazing. We look through them at least once a week when a group's name comes up. We recenlty had a house full of family visitors and they couldn't put them down.
VINE VOICEon May 16, 2006
Pete Frame's obsessive large-format (they HAVE to be or you'd go blind reading them) rock family trees are a feast of rock minutia and an elegant formal statement. If you're of a certain age (harrumph), and remember pouring through the record bins in the 60s and 70s, you'll know lots of these names and albums, and your elderly brain will bask for awhile in the nostalgic glow of... rock and roll reminiscence.

As a reference work, as an aesthetic achievement, as a hell of a good way to waste some time, this can't be beat.
on June 16, 2007
Not only do you get insights and tidbits that you never could have imagined, but they also get linked together in an informative and fun way. Pete Frame does an excellent job of giving informative and anecdotal stories in a graphical manner that makes understanding the era of music much easier. A must read for any true classic rock fan. A personal favorite.
on August 12, 2010
I have bought tons of rock-themed books over the years. This by far is one of my most treasured. I have studied it over and over since I bought it 10 years ago - and have referred to it (to settle arguments) many times. If you love music, this is a must buy!
on May 6, 2009
Pete Frame's complete rock family trees
All of Peter Frame's books are fascinating. You can spend hours pouring over this book. It's out of print, so grab one while you can!
on December 27, 2009
Book was new (as described)and arrived in new condition due to good packaging and arrived much quicker than estimated which meant it was in time for Christmas. Excellent recommendable service.