4.0 out of 5 stars LISTEN WITH OPEN EARS & AN OPEN MIND!
Published on August 17, 2002 by LP Quagmire

3.0 out of 5 stars While 3rd Best, it's Not Bad!
Peter's album is actually quite well done and very listenable in spite of it being (in my opinion) the third best of the solo efforts. Although I consider Paul's and Ace's respectively to be the best two, Peter's is at least comparable to theirs, especially considering the dismal album done by Gene (yes, I'm the one who wrote the scathing review of Gene's album as...
Published on May 11, 2000

4.0 out of 5 stars LISTEN WITH OPEN EARS & AN OPEN MIND!, August 17, 2002
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
This album has been run roughshod over since the day it was released. Its critics lambaste it for not sounding like a KISS record, which isn't entirely true - many of the songs on this album have a similar feel to the group's cuts that feature Criss prominently, (think "Nothin' To Lose," and "Mainline"). Probably due to the (much-deserved) success of Beth, Criss has never been recognized as the fine r&b/soul vocalist he truly is, and more than any other member of the band, he went into the studio to produce the album he couldn't make within the confines of KISS. With a rasp somewhere between Bruce Springsteen and Rod Stewart, Criss tempers the expected ballads with equal doses of rock and funk. Opener "I'm Gonna Love You" is a first-rate soul stomper, complete with punchy horns and Supremes-style back-ups. "Easy Thing" and "I Can't Stop the Rain" are big, epic love songs that Criss and his sandpaper lungs deliver beautifully, and his snappy version of "Tossin' & Turnin'" holds its own.
KISS were at the height of their popularity when the solo projects were released, and Criss could easily have stuck with the tried and true and been assured of strong sales. Daring to be different requires guts and should be commended, especially
when the end result is a fine album such as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars When it comes to KISS solos, this is the cat's meow, April 13, 2003
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
The KISS solo albums provided an interesting look at how each band member's style came out apart from the band. For the Cat Man, Peter Criss, who didn't sing enough songs, this was the perfect opportunity for his feline self to emerge. His album is a mixture of soulful piano and brass rock and slow ballads. There's nothing here that rocks as hard as anything from the KISS to Love Gun albums. Most of the material is mid-paced to downright mellow. There's a lot of personality in Criss's raspy voice, which is really heartfelt in the ballad songs. He also steps away from the drums in half the songs.
"I'm Gonna Love You" sports piano, rock guitar, a brass section and some soulful backing vocals.
"You Matter To Me" with the Farfisa-like synthesizers, could be easily remixed into an old school disco tune.
Peter does a decent and rousing cover of the insomniac "Tossin' And Turnin'" with a pair of soulful female backup singers. Curious that this was the one track that KISS fans really liked.
The sad Elton Johnesque "Don't You let Me Down" is the first of four sad killer ballads. The second, my favourite song here, "Easy Thing," as in "Love is such an easy thing to lose," is backed by strings, and actually outdoes "Beth" in its heartfeltness. The lullaby-like "Kiss The Girl Goodbye" with lines as "Time for me to fly/I will be home some day/baby please wait for me" might be a sequel to "Beth." Some of the guitar work reminds me of Heart's "Dog & Butterfly." And "I Can't Stop The Rain," another tearjerker with strings that become powerful with the chorus: "I can't stop the rain/here it comes again/lightning strikes across the sky/I can't stop the rain/here it comes gain. because lightning only blinds my eyes." At one point, he substitutes the words "it takes a witch to curse that g-----ned sky" for the last line in the chorus.
The rollicking "That's The Kind Of Sugar Papa Likes" could've been done by Blondie, say, Eat To The Beat era if they erased the soul edge to it. Steve Lukather from Toto does a guitar solo.
"Rock Me Baby" and "Hooked On Rock 'N' Roll" are songs in the same vein as "I'm Gonna Love You."
Vini Poncia co-wrote many of the songs with Criss, did backing vocals, and in addition to producing this album, would be the hand behind Dynasty and Unmasked, which, depending on how KISS fans view those albums, may not put him in a favourable light. I don't know--I liked those albums good enough. Despite being the lowest selling of the four KISS solo albums, Peter Criss's one remains my favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Groovy, June 14, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
I've listened to this album for 27 years and I like it more everytime I hear it. Maybe it has to do with getting old. Certainly not like Kiss at all but then again, Peter's roots were in Jazz and Swing. Any bluesy rocker type will love this cd. Hooked on Rock and Roll is a great feel good party song that sounds great cranked with a sub-woofer on! Good Production, good song writing, good original music(except for Tossin' and Turnin'). If Bob Seger fans had heard this back in the days of "Hollywood Nights" and "Till it Shines", this cd would have been really big(or should I have said album?). Peter, if you're reading, Great Job!

4.0 out of 5 stars An under-appreciated album, April 18, 2005
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
In 1978, at the height of KISS's popularity, rather than release a new studio album, all four members simultaneously released a solo album. Although critics have often called this nothing more than a gimmick, there is no denying the quality of these recordings. All four albums are well written and crafted. All four members of KISS really put their heart and soul into this project and made a solo album that really reflects their personality. KISS was like a stew, made up of four separate ingredients. The KISS solo albums of 1978 really let you see each member and what it is exactly they brought into KISS.

This R&B style album unfortunately never clicked with the KISS Army. Peter Criss's album is the most unfairly treated by both fans and critics. This is the worst selling and least popular among fans. It still sold over a million copies, but it never got the acclaim that it should have. A lot of KISS fans seem to hate this album. If your looking for a great, fast and heavy rock n' roll album, you will probably be disappointed with the Peter Criss album. It is by far the least rocking album of the four. Although this is still a rock album, it is also heavily flavored with R&B. Criss's jazzy playing in KISS and raspy vocals might have been indicative of his musical backbone.

If you just want to relax and chill out, this is a good album to put on. The Peter Criss album has a mid-tempo pace, but is never boring or tepid. Each song is interesting and the album as a whole has a good pace. The songs can roughly be split in half between mid-tempo rockers, and ballads. The highlights include the opening rockers "I'm Gonna Love You," and "Tossin' and Turnin'" and the ballads "Don't You Let Me Down" and the closing "I Can't Stop the Rain."

This is not a very challenging album; it's more of an easy-going, pleasant listen. However, this album has a lot of good things going for it-well written songs with good hooks, a good backup band, tight production; but the album's real charm is the sincerity that Peter Criss put into the songs. It is evident by listening to these songs that he worked really hard and put a lot into making a heartfelt album.

Peter Criss's album is not the best of the four, but it's certainly a solid effort. If you've never cared for it, I recommend revisiting it with an open mind. You may be surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars To the ONE-STAR raters..., May 16, 2004
Randall M. Benton (Ridgway, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
What is wrong with you people? TRASH? CRAP? Give me a break! You wouldn't know trash if you stuck your head inside garbage can! So I suggest you remove your heads from another odorous place and try to be a little more open-minded instead of so closed-minded. Let me explain why you are WRONG! I'll talk slow so you can keep up, ok?
Here we go:
Yes, I know...Peter should have done the standard rock drummer thing and just re-made a bunch of "Black Diamond/Strange Ways/Baby Driver"-style songs and stayed within the limits of what the KISS "fans" expected of him. Who the hell is he anyway thinking he can record something other than the basic KISS song everyone knows and loves? Yes, it IS his solo album...but he shouldn't try to do something (God forbid) different!
I never heard such narrow-minded blithering idiots sound so inanely simplistic in their "reviews." I don't care if you like what Peter did or not. I give him credit for having the guts to stretch out and follow his passion for R&B, dance, pop, jazz...whatever...and do something he wanted to do. I guess he should have consulted all the KISS fans out there and see if it was ok to do something original.
If you just plain don't like the songs, fine...but give the guy credit for doing what HE wanted. He stretched farther than Ace, Gene, or Paul did. That was their choice and this was his. Nobody said to the band prior to the project "each of you make an album...but ONLY make it sound like KISS or at least 'hard rock.' Or else you'll have morons from all over the world giving you crap about it for the next 30 years!"
And, I hate to break it to the incredibly creative-with-their-words "reviewers" who trash this album...but these songs are pretty well done from a guy who everyone loves claiming is so one-dimensional. No, he doesn't have the voice Paul Stanley does, but that even gives him MORE credability because he has to work harder to get results. It's not a natural strength so he has to work harder. Yeah, he doesn't deserve credit for THAT does he!
I've had problems with Peter and some of his troubles involving his tenure in KISS over the years. But, I can't fault him for being original enough to follow his heart and soul and do whatever the hell he wanted on HIS solo album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good album but don't expect it to sound like KISS., December 28, 1999
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
This isn't near as bad as most of the reviews make it sound. It doesn't sound anything like KISS which is probably the reason for the bad reviews. Actually, I've seen Peter Criss get a bad rap on a few of the reviews of KISS albums too. Gene and Paul are the most important members of KISS but KISS was, and is, better with Peter and Ace than they ever were without them. In the 1970's, Peter did influence their music. His drumming and Aces guitar solo are a huge part of what make Calling Dr. Love and She such classics. This album sounds more like Rod Stuart than it does KISS but that doesn't make it a bad album. That just makes it different. I would rather have it than most of the CD's KISS did without Peter and Ace. Maybe it will open a few minds if people stop putting it down and actually listen to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Music!, September 7, 2004
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
Back when I was a young punk and only turned an ear to Paul Stanley's heavy distortion and ACE's wailing feedback, this record just didn't work for me and would have made a better pottery wheel than earn a spot on my record player.

Fast Forward 25 years later...

Now that I would consider myself a little more mature in my music appreciation and my ear is far more tuned in to musicianship, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, this is a really good album. I love the fact that Peter completely went his own direction and showed more of his big band, jazz and soul roots. His voice is so sweet...however I can see where he was searching a little too hard for Beth II. I think there's one too many ballads on this record. Tracks 1-5 really rock out and I would say this album is worth it just for those songs alone.

I pride myself in finding older music that's really good and I would say that going back and giving this album another chance was worth every penny. I would love to see more music today come from the record labels like this!

4.0 out of 5 stars THIS ALBUM IS GREAT!!!!!!!, June 6, 2004
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
I admit I did'nt really give this album a chance when I first got it, but when I listen to it now, it is really a cool album!!. I'm so sick of people acting like this is a KISS album, ITS NOT!, its a PETER CRISS solo album!!!!, and if you pulled your head out of your @ss you might like it.
some of the stand out songs are "Tossin n Turning", "Easy Thing", "Kinda suga pa pa likes", "hooked on Rock n Roll", and "You matter to me".
well done Peter, this album rocks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awsome 1978!, April 2, 2004
D. Soloff "varockcity" (Gloucester, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
This CD stands the test of time! 1978 and all was R & R bluesy jazzy and more. HEartfelt LP1 Get it....

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad, March 23, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Peter Criss (Audio CD)
Let's give credit where credit is due here. This is not the best of the solo albums, but it's not the worst either. People always put this album down, but it really isn't that bad. Peter's choice of songs shoe that his musical roots are different than the other members, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the highlights are "Tossin and Turnin" and "I Can't Stop The Rain". Not Bad

Peter Criss
Peter Criss by Peter Criss (Audio CD - 1997)
Rate and Discover Movies