Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on June 27, 2003
Although this book is certainly delightful, as many others have said, it's a classic that adds layers with each re-reading, and many of those layers are dark. In fact, Barrie does not so much tell us that children are innocent, as that they are "heartless" - we might say amoral, certainly oblivious of the heartache they cause others. As the author continually points out, the good and bad are interwined; Peter's most fascinating quality is his conceit. He is willing to sacrifice his own life for Wendy's (but might equally neglect to save her if his mind is elsewhere). Hook's cruelty combines with an obsession with "good form." Almost every character is richly drawn (in both prose and oils). Of the many editions I've seen of this story, this is far and away the most attractive, providing a rich setting for a tale that deserves to be discovered and enjoyed by a new generation, and an author that should not be forgotten.
on February 4, 1999
Reading Peter Pan with Beckers illustrations gives me a renewed appreciation of reading childrens stories. The book itself is a collectors piece. The story is wonderful of course, a true classic, and this book is a perfect vehicle for the story. The pages are silky, the illustrations are magical. It isn't a what you would call a "picture book" but has the right amount of illustrations in it without detracting one from reading. A book to be cherished and kept as a collectors piece.
on August 28, 2007
Jim Dale, who reads the Harry Potter audiobooks, does a FANTASTIC job with this book. I had never read Peter Pan prior to listening to this and my 9 year old son and I were mesmerized by this audiobook. I enjoyed it even more than the Harry Potter books. Adults will enjoy as much as children.
on January 27, 2003
I chose this particular edition, illustrated by Scott Gustafson, because the illustrations are rich and vibrant, in a word - gorgeous!. I never read Peter Pan as a youngster, but my mother-in-law read it to each of her children so I have continued the new family tradition, reading it to each of my children and thoroughly enjoying it along the way. The British expressions are a bit difficult for the youngest to understand, but the story is full of adventure and challenges to keep everyone coming back for more - and begging for just 5 more minutes before bed please!
on June 7, 2000
I LOVED this version of Peter Pan. It's the original version and it has really beautiful pictures. I like the original because it gives so much more depth to the story. Now I know a lot more about all the characters than I did when I had only seen the Disney movie. There are some great parts in the book that the movie didn't even touch, which I think was stupid of Disney to do.
on August 30, 2004
At its center, the story of Peter Pan is at once enchanting for boys and girls alike. The thought of being able to fly, to never grow up, much less grow old or the ability to thwart parental power by exploring never, never land where there is total freedom for enjoyment as well as the thrill of conquerable challenges by the guardianship of angelic magic in the form of Tinker Bell. But beneath the surface, Peter Pan is ultimately a lesson about growing up and having to take responsibility for one's actions, all the while wishing the opposite. For most children, the transition comes with age, and with good parental guidance; for others, sadly, it comes not at all. For those who are unable to make the transition and prefer to stay in the fantasy world of never, never land, heartache is bound to come, for it not Wendy, another love would be lost, which men are conditioned to accept and ignore, forever foreclosing the opportunity for the emotional intimacy they truly want and need, and the excitement of being able to share the wondrous world with someone who honors their effort and is inspired by their love and commitment. The story of Peter Pan is the definitive analysis of males at the point of transition where love and life intersect, and the choice they must make for themselves. It is a story about male commitment, whether that is possible, and for what reason, the ability to make the intellectual adjustment of self control to capture the joys of adult life, the vision to depart from never, never land to accommodate the transition, and the coping mechanisms they must make to do so. It is the ultimate "cliff walk" for men, hence, the analogy of the prospect of "walking the plank before Captain Hook" and whether or not the Wendy they save might be their own salvation, the one to whom they can commit with trust and safety. It is a story of men falling in love or not and whether they are able to appreciate giving up the toys of childhood for mature relationships.
on January 19, 2014
I looked for some time for a nice hardbound original Peter Pan. Since I read a lot of reviews myself I feel compelled to write one and endorse this edition. The illustration is very nice and the edition is really pretty. It's perfect size for reading aloud. Very nice edition.
on October 14, 2008
The story of Peter Pan is very well known, but I wonder just how many people have actually read the book. Well, I had never read Barrie's story, so I started this audiobook with the expectations that it would be a fun diversion but nothing really more special than the Disney adaptation. I could not have been more wrong.

First, as to the story, it really is quite magical. It's a sweet and imaginative tale that will delight children and adults with excitement and fun at every turn. Peter is not nearly as one dimensional as...well, the cartoon version of himself, and I even found myself feeling rather sorry for Captain Hook and Smee.

Moving on to the audio aspect of the book... I'm certain Barrie's wit and creativity would jump off the page if you were to read the written version, but I have to say that Jim Dale's rendition is brilliant. His pacing is perfect, and the voices he does are fantastic. I honestly think this is one of the best audiobooks, if not the best, I've ever experienced.
on December 10, 1997
"Peter pan" is one of the best book I love. As like Wendy, when I was a child I loved Peter from my heart. He is a real child, never never grow up and know dirty or gain unnecessary wisdom.. I seriously wanted to fly away to the Neverland. I think it is very difficult to become an adult with innocence. The child grow up to forget how to fly and don't believe fairly or romantic things. So I hope I would be a child forever. I don't want to be an adult. I think this book is not only adventure, but also sad love story about Peter and Wendy. Wendy fell in love with Peter but he hoped her to be a mother. I wanted them to become happy. Child wants love but when he gets it, he is no longer a child. It is heartless contradiction. The last part of this story is very sad, I think.
on November 15, 2004
Hello. Me again. Not a kid, but I like using this form. Anyhow, this version is the real version of Peter Pan. Where in Peter actually kills pirates instead of hitting their noses. Where Hook actually is afraid of the croc, instead of being it's dance partner.

*shudders at Disney*

Woo. Sorry. So, here's the poop: The Darling children fly off with the immortal Peter Pan to Neverland. At first it's a wildly nice romp, until Jas. Hook finds out about them. Then, it's a final duel to the death between Peter Pan and Hook, giving birth to one of the greatest lines in literature:

"Proud and insolent youth, prepare to meet thy doom."

"Dark and sinister man, have at thee."

With these parting thoughts, I want to encourage you parents to BUY THIS BOOK. Not for your kids, but for you. If your kid wants to read it, groovy. If not, read and enjoy the lavish drawings by Scott Gustafson. Well, in my last, BRING ME FOOD. NOW.

Henry J. Baugh