5.0 out of 5 stars One of Ezra Jack Keats Best Books, July 29, 2005
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
I don't know what ken32 is talking about but Peter's Chair has nothing to do with gender difference. It is about a boy, Peter, who is disgruntled at the change that is occuring around the house for his new baby sister Susie. Peter sees that his baby items are being painted over in pink, which is the color that will identify if the baby is going to be a girl. Babies don't care what color their furniture is.

But Peter feeling that everything he has is going to be given to his sister, takes his childhood chair and runs away from home. But he realizes that he isn't a little boy anymore. He is a boy but not a baby. He has to accept change in the household when a sibling is born. Peter is not seen as a spoiled brat. He just doesn't want to have to give in to Susie. Peter learns a valuable lesson and is willing to help his family any way he can.

Ezra Jack Keats, rest in peace, is a good storyteller. His stories are centered around the urban areas. He doesn't paint a negative view of the city. He rather illustrates it as a community of supporting and close-knit citizens. His books dispel the media misconception of the dying city.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pull Up a Chair, September 21, 2005
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
This is a wonderful story with delightful illustrations about a young boy who is feeling displaced because he has a baby sister on the way. He is upset to see his old layette painted pink for baby Susie and his infant toys passed down to her.

The one thing that has escaped the fate of the pink paint is his old toddler chair. Peter stashes his chair away and later sets up a clever trap to fool everyone into thinking he is hiding behind the curtains. Peter tries to reclaim his old seat, but he has long outgrown it.

Sadder, but wiser, he accepts his new sister and even gives her a prized gift. This is a wonderful classic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Realistic, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Hardcover)
Peter is growing up. Coincidentally, he also has a baby sister.

Putting these two things together means that the family is going and repainting all his unneeded baby things - his high chair, his crib, his little chair - for the new baby.

Like many children, the fact that he's outgrown these things doesn't seem to Peter to be the concern. The problem is that they're HIS things, so he took his chair and he Ran Away. To... the front of the house.

It's resolved a bit neatly when he realizes, through sitting in it, that he really has outgrown all these things and comes back in to rejoin the family and welcome his sister, but it's all very sweet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, January 1, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
I have 2 boys in 1st grade with little sisters. This book reflects the struggle that they go through in sharing things with younger siblings.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oft-read, much loved, January 24, 2010
FSG (Minneapolis, MN, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Hardcover)
My daughter, now age 5, has loved this book for years. Even though she is an only child, I think the concept of welcoming a new baby into the family and learning to share resonates with her, as she has a younger cousin who's as close as a sibling to her. This lovely little story with a sweet ending, and my daughter asks us to read it often as her bedtime story.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best sibling book ever!, July 25, 2008
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Hardcover)
When I was writing a follow-up to my first book, 'Be gentle with the dog, dear!', I was recommended this book by my agent. This is a great book and certainly relatable having 2 kids. I didn't think much of hand-me-downs but suddenly they became precious to my oldest daughter.
It's fun to see peters innocent rebellion when his 'things' turn blue to pink. I think, as an adolescent, we have thought about running away from home with nowhere to go; the author captures this well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keisha's Love of Peter's Chair, May 2, 2000
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
I teach children ages3-5 and one day I went to the library to get some books for them PETER'S CHAIR was among the selection it also came with the tape so when I wasn't able to read to the children I would put hte tape on for them. The children requested the book everyday up until the day I had dto take it back,there was one child in particular who would come up to me and say Ms.Tracey could you read Peter's Chair to me so I would sit her on my lap and read it just to her and than one day she came to me and said can I read Peter's Chair to you Ms.Tracey, and so in her own words and with expression she read Peter's Chair it did my heart good that she (KEISHA)had started her love for books. Thanks to Ezra Jack Keats you've made a difference in a child's life.

5.0 out of 5 stars new baby in the house?, January 9, 2010
Back to the East (Peachtree City, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Hardcover)
great book. boys love it. great for children, esp boys, with new siblings. about a boy who sees all of his baby stuff transformed into pink for his new baby sister. we see how he reacts to this and how his parents help him cope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, May 16, 2010
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Hardcover)
I bought this book for my niece. She has a new brother and this book was recommended to me. The book is great!
Ezra Jack-Keats writes great books for children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and Classic as all Ezra Jack Keat's Books, September 15, 2014
This review is from: Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) (Paperback)
Ezra Jack Keats is a master at telling stories through the eyes of children. He was ahead of his time. One reviewer wrote negatively about this text by saying it introduces running away and jealousy. Ummmmm getting angry and storming away and jealousy are two VERY COMMON issues young children face. This is a beautifully HONEST story about how it is very hard to move over and allow another sibling to share your spotlight. You can't go wrong with any of Ezra's books. They are amazing. My all time favorite author for young children.

Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins)
Peter's Chair (Picture Puffins) by Ezra Jack Keats (Paperback - August 1, 1998)
$6.99