5.0 out of 5 stars The best clip-on tuner I've tried
I went through two other clip-ons with my mandolin, the TuneTech TT-501 and the Crafter TG-200H, but gave up on using clip-ons entirely because their accuracy is pretty bad for anything but the most raucous bluegrass jam. I would tune up, strum a G chord and cringe.

Published on April 22, 2011 by L. Steely

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but so do less expensive alternatives
Published 15 months ago by Robert F. DeVellis

5.0 out of 5 stars The best clip-on tuner I've tried, April 22, 2011
L. Steely (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Peterson SC-1 Strobo Series StroboClip Guitar Tuner (Electronics)

When the Peterson iphone tuner came out, I began using it exclusively because it was the most sensitive and accurate tuner I'd ever used. But it was impossible to use it in a noisy environment. The Stroboclip, at last, is the best of both worlds - the convenience of a clip-on (being able to tune in a noisy environment) with the same accuracy as the strobosoft iphone app. Since I was already disillusioned with other clip-ons, I was skeptical that this one would really have the same accuracy as the iphone app - but lo and behold, it does.

The nice thing about the Stroboclip is that, in addition to measuring the pitch very quickly and accurately to 1/10 of a cent, the precision which with it indicates pitch on the display is much higher. This is because pitch is indicated by the speed at which the bars move, which can be varied smoothly over a huge range, rather than by having a preset number of needle positions on the LCD display (about 2-4 cents on most clip-ons).

The mandolin requires a very accurate tuner because if the pairs of strings are just slightly out of tune with each other, you will hear it (I usually tune just the first string in each pair with a tuner, then match the second one to it by ear, but this is impossible in a noisy environment.) The Stroboclip is the only clip-on that is sensitive enough to get the string pairs within a couple cents of each other (still not as good as by ear, but far better than any other clip-on).

I've been using the Stroboclip for several months now and haven't looked back. The sensitivity does require some getting used to... some people say it is jumpy and difficult to use because it shows you in real-time how the pitch of the string decays when plucked. That's certainly true, though every tuner is subject to this effect and the Petersen is just being honest about the acoustics of a plucked string. The sustain mode helps with this somewhat but I prefer to tune in normal mode. It does take some practice to use a strobe tuner and there is a bit of an art to zeroing in on the pitch, but over time you get better and faster. And it reads every string of my mandolin and my guitar without trouble.

The brushed aluminum body also looks very classy and professional and I keep it clamped on the headstock during performances. I haven't noticed a big difference with the mandolin sweetened tunings...unless you have a very expensive instrument it may be too subtle to notice. Finally the stroboclip offers 20 or 30 other tunings besides equal temperament, even for instruments like bagpipes and arabic tunings.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine but so do less expensive alternatives, June 10, 2013
Robert F. DeVellis (Chapel Hill, NC USA) - See all my reviews
Electronic tuners are a boon. Although some players like to tweak the final tuning a bit, for the vast majority of string instrument players, having a reliable indicator of string pitch removes a major barrier to not sounding your best while playing, especially when playing with others. Instruments like 12-string guitars, harp guitars, hammered dulcimers, autoharps, and other multi-course instruments benefit even more from accurate tuning.

This is an accurate tuner, no doubt, especially for a clip-on. But the thing is, it really isn't appreciably more accurate than the black Snark clip-on tuner that I have that cost like $10. When I need the extra precision, I prefer using a Sonic Research Turbo Tuner, which I find easier to use and certainly at least as precise as the StroboClip.

If you just need a tuner that will let you play in tune with others and is easy to read, the Snark is a great tool. If you want a clip-on tuner that can double as a shop tuner for setting the intonation on a stringed instrument or if you specifically want to use the "sweetened" tunings that this device has available, then the StroboClip may be the perfect fit to your needs. Personally, if I want the advanced features of the exacting precision, I go with my hand-held Turbo Tuner and if I want a clip-on for convenience in a noisier setting just to be in tune with others, I prefer the Snark.

But the StroboClip works well if its features fit your needs well enough to justify the expense. The added precision is likely wasted in the vast majority of circumstances and probably is more of an annoyance (as the read-out will fluctuate more) than an asset if you just want to tune up to play. Guitars and the like are necessarily somewhat out of tune because of the compromises involved in their design and the fact that the strings stretch when fretted. Those errors are quite small on most instruments and really not noticeable. But a good tuner will "notice" them. If you're doing an instrument set-up, that precision can be advantageous. If you're just tuning up to play, it probably isn't either necessary or desirable. So, consider what you need a tuner for and if ultra-precision isn't necessary, then there seems little advantage in paying for it.

I should clarify, however, that it isn't the tuner that has any shortcomings. It's just that it may not be the right tool for the purpose many players intend. When that's the case, a considerably less expensive alternative may work just fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last tuner you'll ever need to buy, January 19, 2011
I've used 4 different brands of clip-on tuners to tune my Classical guitars and electric basses, but this tuner is the most accurate. It captures the note immediately without errors, whether the low E on an electric bass guitar or the high E on my classical guitar. It is fast enough to use real time during intonation practice/training on fretless bass. It works flawlessly on solid body and acoustic instruments. Takes a little getting used to but simply, if the rings spin clockwise, the note is sharp; if the rings spin counterclockwise the note is flat. If you can afford it, the Peterson is the best clip-on tuner out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT tuner, March 16, 2011
I had my reservations about spending so much for an electronic tuner when there are much cheaper models available. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this tuner is. I must admit that it took a while to get used to the strobe display, but it was worth it. In addition to being much more accurate than less-expensive models, it also has settings called "sweeteners" for a variety of instruments. I tuned my banjo using the appropriate setting and was amazed at how good it sounded compared to when I tuned it with other tuners. I would highly recommend this tuner for the serious musician who wants to be able to tune accurately. A bonus is the ability to tune in a noisy environment. Worth the money. I even ordered a second one to use on my other stringed instruments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peterson SC-1 Stroboclip Tuner, February 27, 2012
I have owned and loved the first edition of the Peterson Strobostomp (the blue one) for many years now and it has never failed me. So when I finally decided that a clip on tuner really is a good idea, I knew I wasn't going to get anything less than the best. It is costly, don't get me wrong, I'm sure that there are other tuners less than half the price of this thing that do their duty just fine. Having attended school to be a luthier though I've seen, used, and discussed many a tuner; and for critical tasks like setting the intonation of an instrument or recording in a studio the more accurate the tuner the better. And that's exactly what I love about Peterson's tuners, they are fast and more importantly deadly accurate. Trouble free use and reliability are why I shelled out more of my money for this particular tuner. It arrived in a very sleek case that protects the unit well and will double nicely as a pick tin or something similar. But more importantly it works really well. I've used it on guitar and bass (acoustic and electric) and not had any issues. It stays in place well, though I am not thrashing about while playing, just sitting and recording with it most of the time and the sweetened tunings are always nice. If it broke or was stolen I would gladly buy another one. Though I really don't think it would break unless something horrific happened to it. The unit does not feel cheap or flimsy and the display is easy to read in both low light and direct sunlight. And if the cost is the only thing holding you back you can just do what I did. Take your coin jar down to your local Coinstar machine and instead of getting cash select an Amazon gift card. If you select any of the eCertificates they offer then Coinstar does not take a flat percentage out of what you are converting. You get all of the money from your change and maybe you'll feel better about shelling out the money for one of these bad boys. I only ended up paying for the shipping and handling luckily enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the Snark!!!!, February 4, 2012
D. Crudup (Inglewood, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I am an electric bass player and for decades I have used the Boss TU-12 tuner. The input jack has been problematic over the years, but I would repair it myself. I joined a new band awhile ago and the guitar player got a Snark. So for $20 bucks I picked one up. At first it was cool being able to tune up with out having to plug in my axe. Then I noticed that the Snark was slow...not just with tuning, but also turning on and being ready for use. You also have to get a good viewing angle to see the screen...even in low light.

So I found out about the Peterson Stomp Classic pedal and then I found out about the SC-1. I went to the 2012 NAMM and picked up both. Although the SC-1 is larger than the Snark, the SC-1 tunes almost instantly. The display is easy to read. I have not had to use the tuner sweetners yet.

This is a real cool clip on tuner and I think it is the best one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great portable strobe tuner, November 16, 2010
I had to try this tuner once I heard of it. It's received a lot of hype. In my opinion, it gets the job done quite well. I've used some vintage mechanical strobe tuners in the past, and while this unit isn't as fun as those tuners, it is still very accurate and gives you the added benefit of portability.

The sustain mode works fine for me. The rings on a strobe tuner are often tricky to get perfectly lined up with each other, but that's usually because they are more critical than needle tuners.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't buy it again, August 5, 2012
Defective with mild use after a year, of course past warranty. Peterson offered to fix it at more than the cost of the unit.
Hence, wouldent buy it again.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rolex of Instrument Tuners, February 16, 2014
Peterson strobe tuners are often referred to as the Rolexes of the tuning world. The title is well-deserved; these tuners are expensive, have a very sleek and easily-recognizable design, are highly-functional, and class-leaders.

I've owned a variety of tuners before finally taking the plunge for a Peterson StroboClip. We had a large Peterson strobe tuner back in high school band class, so this strobe tuner took me way back--spinning to the right meant you were sharp, and to the left meant you were flat, with the speed of the rotations illustrating just how far off you were.

The StroboClip works well. I personally cannot hear the difference with the sweetened tuning, nor can I tell the difference with the 1/10 of a cent accuracy. The only thing I can tell is that this tuner is heavy and adds significant weight to the headstock, compared to some other lighter tuners. So I often find myself taking it off and putting it back into the case (where it takes up quite a bit of space due to its large size).

So like a Rolex, it is top of the line, impressive, and a highly desirable tuner. But not everyone needs a Rolex. For some who just want to get in tune, a Timex will do--and in that case, the Snark clip on tuners are fantastic and a fraction of the price. It really depends on what you're looking for.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unit is Overpriced and Has An Unstable Display, May 14, 2014
It really doesn't even rate one star the display is so unstable it keeps moving even when you get the right note it drives me crazy and it is very much over priced other tuners at less than half the cost are much better. I blame myself I should have done more more homework on the unit before buying.

Peterson SC-1 Strobo Series StroboClip Guitar Tuner