Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Color: Peppermint|Size: 12 oz gel|Change

on May 6, 2009
Although the PetzLife Oral Gel is expensive, it really works. We have two greyhounds who had terrible plaque on their teeth from years of neglect while they were racing. Our Tampa Florida greyhound adoption organization, Bay Area Greyhound Adoption (BAGA) recommended this product in the BAGA newsletter, so we decided to give it a try. We had tried many doggie toothpastes before, with no effect.

The directions on PetzLife indicate you should see improvement within a month of daily use, but our greys were almost plaque-free in less than a week. We were amazed! In addition, one of our greyhounds hated to have her teeth brushed, but with PetzLife, she doesn't mind teeth-brushing at all.

This is our second bottle of PetzLife, and the formula must have changed slightly, as the gel now has a light, fresh, minty smell which is really nice. No doggie breath! But mainly, we are so glad to see the dark plaque GONE from our greyhounds' teeth. For great dental health for your beloved pet, this product is well-worth the money.
11 comment| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2009
I have used this product for a few years now and it is superb for cleaning canine teeth. I have one dog, an off-the-track greyhound cursed with horrible teeth, who is very skittish, brushing his teeth would never happen. With Petzlife i put a large dollop of gel on my finger and rub it on his worst teeth every night (it took time and much patience before he would easily let me do it, now it has become routine). Application does not have to be perfect as the mix of gel and the dog's saliva aids in slowly dissolving away the plaque. It is mainly the ingredient of grapefruit seed extract that breaks down the plaque. It is very safe and effective. No other product has helped. I use Petzlife for all of my 4 dogs. If used properly the gel goes a long way. If you have a cooperative dog that will let you use a soft toothbrush, then results may be seen sooner. On average it has taken about a month to see significant results in my worst cases. This really is a great product.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 10, 2014
I purchased this months ago for our 13 year old cat. She REALLY didn't like the spray so we kind of gave up trying. Recently we took our little girl to the vet for a medical issue. During the course of her visit the vet discovered a pretty serious tartar issue on her back teeth...something I wouldn't have seen unless I had forced her mouth wide open. Our limited budget did not allow for his suggested treatment which would have cost up to $600. Her medical issue was easily treated and resolved but we still had her mouth to deal with. I remembered this oral spray and got it out of the medicine cabinet. After 3 or 4 go arounds getting this sprayed into her mouth my husband and I just looked at each other and said there has to be a better way. Experimenting I found 4 or 5 sprays equaled about 1/4 tsp. I tried carefully measuring out the right dose for application and sucked it up in an eye dropper. My husband held her while I just slipped the eye dropper between her lips on both sides of her mouth and squirted the solution onto her teeth. The instructions say this spray mixes with the animals saliva and coats her entire mouth so this seemed like a good idea. Of my goodness...was it ever. We've been giving her two applications a day for a week and her mouth looks SOOOO much better. This stuff really does work!!!!! The tartar just seems to be melting away. We're going to continue twice a day treatments for another week or so to make sure we get rid of all the tartar in hard to see places. Then we'll give it to her once a day for a few months before starting the maintenance regime of 2 or 3 times a week.
on March 27, 2011
I am a doggroomer and have three dogs. I buy all kinds of grooming supplies from different places. Every pet website has some sort of tooth care product, but Amazon has REVIEWS. After buying junk that doesn't work, I bought this product after reading reviews here and it WORKS. Works extremely well!! My 4 and 5 year old dogs didn't have much tarter, but had enough that I was concerned. After using this faithfully for a month, their tarter is 75% gone. I wish I had taken before and after photos. Dog #3 is a rescue, he's probably 7 or 8, and his teeth were worse than my other two, especially his canines and molars. It's incredible to see the difference on his teeth. I was worried he would need a dental, but I think another good couple of months and his will be gone.
I'm following directions and using a soft rubber finger toothbrush for all three, and doing it at bedtime, EVERY NIGHT. I have used a regular soft child's brush twice, my dogs do not like that! But they are good about the rubber finger brush.
HIGHLY recommended - and I'm telling all my customers. WONDERFUL product.

3/28/11 - I was just at my vet's this morning talking about Petzlife Gel and found out my vet is selling "Vetzlife" Oral Gel - made by Petzlife. Same product, same ingredients! Vet is selling 4 oz. at $35, so 12 oz. at this price is a bargain!
on August 27, 2011
My 7 year old dog had quite a dental problem. Per our vet, she had yellow, gray teeth with plaque and tartar on the teeth reaching up to the gumline. In order to remove all the above, it meant giving her anesthesia and teeth scraping including under the gumline to the tune of $350.00. I purchased this product for $49.00 and all I can say is WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!. After almost a month of applying this gel everyday using a long handled toothbrush for dogs, the results are nothing short of amazing. The tartar is gone, the plaque is gone and her teeth are white, white, pearly white.

I decided to try this product on my own teeth. The results from my 6 months dental chekcup were unbelievable. No tartar, no plaque, no bleeding gums and my teeth are much whiter. And this is after almost 4 weeks of applying this gel EVERYDAY. My dentist could not believe the results and the fact that all of this came out of a bottle. If you have a cat, the company, Petzlife, has a salmon flavored one as well. Also, if your pet does not like tooth brushing, there ia a spray.

As far as I am concerned, this has got to be the most under rated product on the market. With vet and dentist bills, I am saving a bundle. Amazon has the best price and I thank you Amazon for making this product affordable. FREE SHIPPING AND NO TAX!! WOO-HOO!!!! Try it and you will be as surprised and amazed as I am. I will continue to apply this gel 3 to 4 times per week on my dog and I will use it daily until my teeth are a little more whiter.
on August 23, 2015
Please do not purchase this product. My very healthy small dog started to have uncontrollable seizures (even after medications, hospital stays, and specialty vet care) shortly after use of this product. She ended up having massive brain damage, and I had to let her go. A vet told me that the oils used in this product can trigger seizures and more research led me to find that small amounts of essential oils can be especially toxic to small dogs. There is another review here of a dog owner whose dog also had seizures after using this product. There is nothing I can do to bring my baby back, but I hope I can save other dogs by writing this review.
on January 25, 2014
I ordered what was supposed to be the "Salmon Oil" flavored gel, knowing full well that my cats would not like anything that tastes like peppermint. I received the product quickly. It says "Salmon" clearly on the front of the label and lists Salmon Oil in the ingredients list. However, it also contains Peppermint Oil in the ingredients along with Thyme Oil and Neem Oil. The products does NOT taste or smell anything like salmon fish. Neither my cats, nor I, could smell or taste ANY salmon, only the VERY strong scent and taste of the peppermint and thyme oil. (Yes, I did taste it myself.)

I had to struggle with both of my usually calm and docile cats to even get any gel into their mouths, never mind trying to rub it along their gum lines as the product label instructed. Then they proceeded to foam at the mouth in an effort to rid the gel from their mouths. I am not happy with this product. I don't know how I am going to apply this gel to my cats' gum lines twice per day for 30 days in an effort to remove the plaque and tartar on their teeth. After just one application, they both run when they see me pick up the bottle! So far it has been a waste of time and money.

This product sounded really good in the description. I had good faith that it would work for me and my kitties. This PetzLife "Salmon" Oil Oral Care Gel product needs to be reworked so that it actually tastes like salmon rather than peppermint and thyme. I thought I was buying a salmon flavored gel and what I actually got was peppermint gel with the word "Salmon" on the label. That really adds up to false advertising in my opinion. Amazon usually offers products that are better than this. I am a very disappointed long time Amazon customer.
on July 20, 2014
I tried the salmon gel on the advice of the breeder who uses it on her own cats, after I discovered that my 15 month old cat had noticeable gingivitis despite the fact that I'd already been brushing his teeth at least 1-2 x/week with CET toothpaste. Less than a month of regular use later, his gums are much improved and he's clearly happier and playing more. So not only has this likely saved me from a $600 dental cleaning in the not too distant future, but it's made a big difference to my cat's quality of life. I used it twice a day for the first 3 weeks or so, and then changed to once a day. I will probably continue daily use indefinitely given my cat's predisposition to gum disease.

Be prepared for your cat to absolutely detest this stuff when you first try it. It's the essential oils in the product, so there's really nothing anyone can do to make it attractive to cats. Just remember, YOU'RE the one who is paying for the dentals, and the cat doesn't know that this nasty-tasting stuff is going to treat his painful mouth. I tried the spray initially and gave up in favor of brushing because that's supposed to be more effective - not true in this case! Although the spray is easier for me, it's worse on the cat; even though I don't use water sprays on my cat, there's a reason why that is an effective punishment.

My cat reacted pretty violently at first, and it was no fun scruffing him and getting this stuff onto his mouth in between jerks. The manufacturer's recommendation to "put the gel on a paw" was worthless, because he flung it off instead of licking it. Over time, he's gradually gotten used to it. I hurried the process along a bit by wiping a tiny amount onto the outside of the food bowl, so that he'd get used to the smell. Now, I just go up to him with a dab of gel on my finger, grab him (preferably while a bit sleepy), wipe the gel on his lips/teeth on one side, and let him go. Done. He actually tolerates this better than brushing (which I still do once a week), because he really hates having his head restrained for more than about 5 seconds. Of note, he never tried to spit it out, which some have reported, but he probably would have if I just put it on his lips instead of smearing directly on his teeth and gums.

I very much dislike the pump mechanism on the bottle though. You can't avoid squirting about twice the required amount of gel with the force of a water gun. So I unscrew the top and take what I need off the side of the straw.

Also note that the spray didn't go to waste. The ingredients are completely human-safe and tolerable, so I used it on myself! My next dental cleaning was, in the words of the hygienist, the easiest cleaning I've ever had. It would be great if there were a product like this for people (and there isn't, I looked), but I bet it would cost twice as much. It would be a real boon for people who develop a lot of tartar, or who can't brush their own teeth (e.g. due to dementia), and "4 out of 5 dentists" would be recommending this right along with Sonicare toothbrushes.

UPDATE 8/14: My cat is now so used to the gel that he'll sometimes lick it off my finger. It definitely helps to put a bit of dust from his favorite treat on it. And to keep the gel in the fridge. On the minus side, there's still a bit of gingivitis on the back teeth, so I've gone back to using it twice a day for a while.

UPDATE 1/15: The gingivitis returned, so I now brush his teeth daily using this gel in place of pet toothpaste. He's an angel about it now and it's a very easy process, just a few seconds brushing each side to get the gel right where it will do the most good. Also I squirt the gel onto my hand instead of the brush, which is a better way to deal with the pump. The redness on the gums hasn't returned since I started this regimen a few months ago.

Also there's a 43 oz refill that is a LOT cheaper than reordering this. It's a larger size with a pump that works better.
on March 12, 2016
I have an 18 year old Pekingese and his acupuncturist recommended this highly. He can't get dental cleanings anymore obviously at his age so I thought this may be a good alternative. I used it in him once and he immediately started twitching his head in a way I'd never seen before. I dismissed it (stupidly) as the mint just making him feel tingly. Later on he threw up his food. I dismissed that, too because it was a new flavor but the same type (a Hills W/D can) since he had pancreatitis. I then used this again on him 3 or 4 times thinking there's no way a tiny bit of this seemingly very natural product could be harmful. He twitched less and less and I assumed he was getting used to the peppermint. Last night he was pacing around in a lot of pain then threw up again and today we were in the ER. I fully assumed it was a pancreatitis episode. His bloodwork thankfully showed that it was not an episode and all was good except he had one slightly elevated kidney value. I now wonder if this product caused it due to the alcohol in it. I learned about it from the other negative reviews which admittedly I had not looked at since his accu vet had recommended this. I can't say with certainty that this caused him to be so ill but I most certainly feel it's highly possible. I pray very much that I did not do any lasting harm to him by giving it to him. The ER vet visit came to $500 so this was an expensive bottle of toothpaste.
on July 13, 2010
The product does work and has dissolved a large amount plaque on my dogs teeth (they also have a version for humans now). All you need is time and you need apply the product according to the directions, which is one to two times a day. They have changed the formula by adding spearmint, which my dogs are not a great fan of. They really preferred the old formula. However, I guess the idea behind the new formula is that it will help freshen the breath.

The ingredients are: Distilled water, grain alcohol, grapefruit seed extract, proprietary blend of herbs and natural oils. The grapefruit seed extract is the ingredient that reduces the plaque.