5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bright and versatile headlamp
Published on August 15, 2008 by Scott Reece

3.0 out of 5 stars good but still lacking
After giving owning a princeton tec and being very dissappointed with the quality and customer service I thought I would go for the best of the best. I do really enjoy this headlamp and get plenty of use out of it but it does fall short in a few areas:

Published on January 22, 2011 by EricCoon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly bright and versatile headlamp, August 15, 2008
This head lamp is incredibly bright, and it does its job very well! I could not be happier with it and I would say it's easily worth the money. I recently got a cheaper head lamp at a retail store and I was terribly disappointed in every way. It was dim, not very adjustable, and it broke after 2 or 3 uses. This lamp is quite the opposite. If I remember right, it has 3 regular brightness settings plus a "burst mode" which is insanely bright. You do have to hold down the "burst mode" button the entire time you use it though (to prevent overheating, I think), but it's so bright without it that you really shouldn't need it much.

I've used it for working on the car, mowing the lawn at night (long story), as an alternative to turning all the house lights on and off as I go downstairs in the middle of the night for water runs (yeah yeah, I know...), reading in the car at night, and a dozen other things. Despite my heavy use, I still haven't had to change the batteries yet either.

It's also worth mentioning that the filters work very well. They all diffuse the beam very nicely and evenly, and the red one is very useful for star gazing or any other activity where you need to see in the dark without destroying your night vision. Most of the time when I'm using the lamp I have the white diffusing filter on.

Over all, I couldn't be happier with this product. Actually, there is one thing that could make me happier: I'd like it if the top strap was detachable. Other than that, this product is perfect!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Adventure Racing Headlamp, October 23, 2008
Dwilliams (Bethany, OK USA) - See all my reviews
I recently used this headlamp in an adventure race. I had affixed the helmet adapter to my bike helmet prior to the race and it sure came in handy. The bike leg wasn't supposed to run late enough to require lights. I had removed my handlebar mounted lights at the beginning of the race to save a little weight. Of course, things happened over the course of the day, and as a result, we wound up on single track as darkness fell. I was able to pull out the Tactikka XP Adapt and slip it onto the helmet adapter. It provided sufficient light to ride the trail when set to high beam.

I really like the sliding filter feature of lamp. I replaced a streamlight with a green LED with this Tactikka. I love the green beam to save night vision and my teammates liked being able to locate their navigator and group up at a night checkpoint when several teams arrived at the same time. The Tactikka is a bit more convenient than the streamlight since one can merely slide the filter back to have a strong white light when needed rather than cycling through the lamp settings and then slide the filter back over the lamp for a diffused night vision saving lamp.

A downside of the filter is that it is a diffuser and reduces the light output...a drawback with regard to battery burn time. While one can walk along the trail on low beam without the filter, with the filter I required using high beam. The steamlight green led was quite bright and good for trail running. The Tactikka with filter is a little dim for trail running on poor trails.

Another convenient feature is the way the lamp cycles through its settings. Quick clicking allows one to go from high beam through low beam and to a flashing signal quickly. However, if one turns on the lamp, selects the preferred setting, and then waits for a few seconds, the next click turns off that lamp. I like that feature rather than having to run through the whole cycle just to turn off the lamp.

The temporary ultra bright feature is nice, but it would be nicer not to have to hold the button down. I would like to push the button and have it endure for 10 or 20 seconds hands free.

Overall, a very good adventure racing light for the price. Bright enough for use in all adventure racing disciplines while being light and easy to pack.

3.0 out of 5 stars good but still lacking, January 22, 2011
EricCoon (Southwest Michigan) - See all my reviews

1. there is no padding against your forehead. the lamp starts to irritate your forehead after wearing for 20 mintues.

2. the buttons are way too small, and it's sometimes difficult to differentiate between them.

3. having all the colors is great, but what use are they when they are at home sitting in a box? there should be some type of carrying case built into the strap.

4. why no strap colors for civilians? black and olive are tough to see in the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, September 28, 2013
I got this to wear for pre-sunrise runs. I was looking for something that didn't have to be worn on the head or with a visor, cap or headband. I'm kinda picky that way. I wore it for the first time today for a 7 miler with my Galloway training group, and it could not have been better. I used the adapter that is sort of a belt clip and just attached it to the front of my running shorts. I can't think of a single negative thing to say. Awesome.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and Awesome, January 14, 2013
B. Fogleman (Little Rock, AR, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this headlamp because I needed something that I would be able to mount to my hardhat for work.

Pros:
Light is bright
Light has a "boost" button that can crank up the power as long as you hold it
Interchangeable filters to change the color of the light (green is my favorite)
Comes with both an adhesive mounting platform and a head strap
Light capable of always-on, flashing, and dimming

Cons:
Light isn't always securely connected to mount base
Buttons very small
On/off button doesn't always function the same (what may be a one-click on/off one time may cycle through flash/dim/off next time) - This is probably triggered by something I've done
Color filters not super easily changed out

Is this lamp worth the price? - Yes, I think so.
Is it versatile and useful? - Yes and Yes.

I think Petzl may have left me a lifetime fan, I hope the headlamp continues to impress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great multi-use head lamp, January 14, 2008
I use this headlamp in my sailboat, where is humid and salty, and many times it is raining when I am wearing them on deck. They are also very handy not only when having to work on deck, but when you are trying to find your mooring at night. The red lens allows you to maintain your night vision too.
I also use it when ever I am working on the engine and other areas with no much illumination, where you need both hands to do the work.
The headlight is bright, it can be dimmed, has an emergency flash, it is confortable to watch, and it is waterproof. Moreover, it has a high intensity beam for when ever is needed, and the batteries last quite a while. I highly recommend this item for use both outside and inside your boat/house/tent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! Huge improvement over past tikkas, July 20, 2014
Fantastic! Petzl has been improving their tikkas with each generation, and this is a pinnacle (at least at the time, I don't know what new innovations they have come up with). Gone are the sliding buttons and in are the push buttons. Very intuitive. The filters that come with it are great! They slide out of the way easily to give you a very focused, direct beam. Or slide them in, and you get a more diffused, wider beam. The buttons are intuitive and reliable. And the new design that lets you snap the light off of the head harness and onto the other adapters is just brilliant. Well thought-out product and a HUGE improvement over previous iterations. Kudos to Petzl.

Note: ONLY get the one with the middle head strap like this one. It makes wearing it much more secure and comfortable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived Fast & Got What I Order~!, June 29, 2014
S. Gilstrap (Seoul, South Korea) - See all my reviews
Bought this item for my girlfriend’s father and he loves it! I would recommend this item to my families and friends; and would order from them again! Thank you again for everything!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, December 31, 2013
I bought this for my wife for her early morning runs. She loved all the options for attaching it on her head with the strap or on her hydration pack around her waist. The different colored lenses are nice although she hasn't needed them for running in the city. I've heard the red lense is nice if you're in the desert or other open outdoor area. We tried a $15 headlamp and it does even not compare to this one. The best feature is the diffuser that slides over the lense so the light goes out far enough for her to see where she's going without blinding her. You will love this lamp!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flawless, April 20, 2013
Purchased the TacTikka XP Adapt to replace a Tikka XP which I had sadly lost after years of use, for everything (four-season backpacking/running, car/home repair, night paddling, night MOWING...). The extras included with the TacTikka XP are a nice bonus, but the core headlamp is the true multi-tool and serves every lighting situation for me. No praise too high for this headlamp.

The sliding lens (I stick with clear, vs. colors) quickly diffuses the otherwise strong, focused beam (with three instensity settings), to practical, near-field area lighting. Ever drop something--somewhere--in the grass at night and try to scan for it with an intense, three-inch dot of light?

The body tilts to light subjects/areas which are not directly in front of your head (eg. working on your belly or back, sharing your beam with someone nearby, etc.)

I use 2500mAh rechargeable AAAs and get a lot of mileage between charges in any weather. The battery access is gasketed--never a problem in wet conditions.

Eventually found my original, Tikka XP (which was a gift from my daughters)--so I'm now sporting two excellent headlamps and a case of perma-grin.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›