Peugeot 19006 Ternate 4.25 Inch Nutmeg Grinder, Polished Chrome
Color Name: Polished ChromeChange
Price:$38.71 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color Name: Polished Chrome
I picked up one of these, thinking that I already had a perfectly good one, and why would I ever buy that many nuts just to look cute under the dome and loose their freshness. Then I turned the crank. Like silk. Simile without hyperbole. I kept grinding. It was faster, too. when I looked in the palm of my hand I had enough fine shavings for a big apple pie. Sold!

The Peugeot grinding mechanisms are still among the top five in the cooking world. My first nutmeg grinder, (and, yes, you must use a specialty grinder unless you rig your Microplane) more than doubled my use of nutmeg. This grinder is also is more convenient and safer than my trusty Microplanes. But I have not tried their specialized model. It may be as good, maybe not. Suffice it to say that my usage of fresh nutmeg has more than doubled again.

Be sure and buy only as few nuts as you need. And buy them from a good source where you are sure of the turnover. They live less than a year on the shelf. Freezing extrudes the essential oils.

I picked this one because it was there. The name means nothing except as a location for growing nutmegs. It is used for this particular finish. If you care enough about the style to pay a premium, that is your choice. The grinders are all the same for nutmeg. Just please stop using pre-ground. This grinder will show you why fortunes were made from the spice islands.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 12, 2006
Color Name: Clear AcrylicVerified Purchase
This nutmeg shaver is fantastic. Turn it one direction for a course grind and the other for a finer grind. The thicker grind is perfect for recipes, while the thinner grind is just fine enough to put on top of your iced cap.

The design is simple and clean. You can always see how much nutmeg you have left and its really easy to drop a new seed into the grinder.

Knowing Peugeot, this thing will last a REALLY long time.

Check out the rest of their collection if you like freshly ground anything!
on December 18, 2009
Color Name: Clear Acrylic
I just want to write a counter-review to the one star review posted here that has been voted as helpful. Though I agree this grater has some faults, it does not merit a one star review in any way.

In two years of using the walnut wood colored version of this grater (there are many color option for the bottom half of the grater), I have found 3 minor faults:

1) Incomplete shaving - After shaving halfway thru a nutmeg, you will need to open the shaver and flip the nut over (rounded side down) in order to shave the other half down. Even then, after you finish the second "half" you will be left with a wafer of nutmeg about 3/32" thick that it will no longer shave. On the other hand, if you were to grate by hand you will also end up with an unusable piece unless you're very fastidious and careful. (Also, if you do it by hand, you will likely be grating not shaving - maybe a small distinction, but important to some people) Either way, I don't really count this as a fault. I just toss the little wafer in the compost and move on without regret. It's still much easier to use than a hand grater.

2) The opening and closing of the shaver is actually simple and easy in itself. Unless, you want to keep nuts in the clear dome portion for visual impact. Then, it becomes a balancing act of keeping the bottom half level while you compress and twist the top half down. This is because there is only a very small lip on the bottom half keeping the nuts from rolling out before putting the two halves together. But seriously people, it's NOT that hard to do. Put the bottom half on the counter, load your nut in the middle, load the "ornamental" nuts around the perimeter, then, push the top half down and twist 1/10 of a turn. If that's too hard, just store the ornamental nuts somewhere else. Does not warrant a 1 star review of "useless"!

3) No one else has mentioned this but the screw on top that holds the twisting lever kept loosening on mine. I merely applied a little thread lock compound to the screw (a year ago) and have never had a problem since.

The actual shaving mechanism (and this IS a shaver, NOT a grater) is unquestionably good. Very fine shavings come off releasing a delicious amount of aroma adding flavor without encountering distractingly coarse chunks. You can evaluate the appearance yourself from the picture, but as far as these things go, I think the appearance is exceptional no matter what color you choose. Four stars, minus one star for three minor faults.

UPDATE: 12/26/09: bought some new nutmegs and received a couple really large nuts that did not fit in the ornamental dome casing. They DID fit in the hole where the shaving action takes place but not in the storage area dome. Another fault to this device but I still think it is a four star product.
VINE VOICEon March 6, 2008
Color Name: Clear AcrylicVerified Purchase
This is an attractive grater, and it is relatively sturdy (though some of the chrome you see is actually plastic). But there are core problems, which I have experienced in the 8 months I have owned it. I frequently grind spices.

The first problem is that it is hard to load. The bizarre engineering requires that you open the grater in the middle, which causes all the whole nutmegs to fall out. It is awkward to keep the nutmegs inside while also loading the nutmeg which is currently being grated.

The more important problem is a fatal design flaw in how the nutmeg being grated is held. Generally, it grates a nutmeg part of the way, and then the "teeth" inside which grip the nutmeg strip the nutmeg (like stripping a screw), and you are unable to continue grating. The result is that I have a lot of half-grated nutmegs.

It might, nevertheless, be your best option.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 18, 2009
Color Name: Clear Acrylic
Positives - This is a nifty grater for the first half of the whole nutmeg but fails when you get beyond halfway to grasp onto the nut and grind the last half. I have lots of half shaved nuts in a jar waiting for another grater to come into my life! It is easy to use once you get the nut properly seated in the chamber. It grinds off nice small pieces or shavings from the nut, you keep your fingers away from any sharp areas and it is quick. I store one nut in the chamber for instant use.

Negatives - After only a few months of use I had a tooth break loose which has not so far reduced its ability to grind but if another one goes well it just might not work. The teeth are not hardened steel but some other metal composite which is not as strong. Loading and storage of extra nuts in the outside compartment is not practical because when opening the device all the stored nuts will fall out if you are not careful. My advice is buy any one of a number of other nutmeg graters for less money, just watch your fingers when grating if using one of the microplanes and store your nuts in a glass jar with a lid.
on January 26, 2008
Color Name: Natural WoodVerified Purchase
The mill is very easy to use, and gives even grindings of nutmeg. It is just the quality you would expect from Peugeot. I own the pepper and salt mill from Peugeot, and I am very pleased with them. Therefore buying the Peugeot nutmeg mill was not a difficult decision. This is the one. Even my 5 year old loves to use it to put some nutmeg over his mashed potatoes.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 4, 2012
Color Name: Polished ChromeVerified Purchase
Being an avid cook I enjoy fresh ground spices. For years I enjoyed a pretty good nutmeg grinder, but when it broke, I replaced it with less expensive grinders than the Peugeot and each was just a waste of money. The Peugeot is substantial in weight, has storage for additional seeds and grinds beautifully. Should have started with the best in the first place! This is a nutmeg grinder's dream!
on January 9, 2012
Color Name: Natural WoodVerified Purchase
This little gadget will shave only one nutmeg at a time, though it will store plenty more, as you would see in the illustrations. It's a shaver, not a grinder, but the shavings are so fine they may as well be grinds. If you use freshly ground nutmeg in any quantity, this little gadget will save you time and fingertips, but if you use only a slight dusting every now and then, I'd recommend a little grater.

I do use this quite often and like its simplicity and style, though it was a bit of an extravagance.
on December 18, 2009
Color Name: ChocolateVerified Purchase
I wrote this review for the clear acrylic version of this shaver, copied and pasted here:

I just want to write a counter-review to the one star review posted [see clear acrylic version] that has been voted as helpful. Though I agree this grater has some faults, it does not merit a one star review in any way.

11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 12, 2012
Color Name: Polished ChromeVerified Purchase
I'm usually afraid to order something like this online but the reviews were all good so I went for it. The mechanism in this grater is so smooth - I love to operate it! I'm using more fresh nutmeg now and it makes a world of difference. I also enjoy the fact that you can store a few fresh nutmeg right under the see thru cover so you always know how much you have.

See 1 answered question