5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, functional, and great new adjustment feature!
Published on December 9, 2008 by sharkychick

2.0 out of 5 stars This one will last
Published on January 17, 2010 by lightstream

2.0 out of 5 stars This one will last, January 17, 2010
We were frustrated at buying pepper mills that only lasted from a few months to a year before they couldn't grind pepper anymore. We decided to spend a bit more and get one that was built well and expected to last. This looked like the one to get. Having used it for a few weeks I can say it's even better quality than I expected. I know this one will last a very long time.

We're still using the pepper that ships with it and I can tell the mechanism is built to a very high standard. The six different grind settings are a pleasure to have, there are appropriate uses for all of them.

I've always liked pepper on my food, now I like it more than ever.

Edited, April 8 2010: I've taken three stars off the rating. After the pepper that shipped with the mill was used up the mill stopped working. We refilled it with pepper from Penzey's, a medium sized peppercorn, the one we have always used. I was careful to not fill it too high, after reading reviews here that warned of that. I tried taking all the pepper out, used compressed air to blow any particles out of the grinder and tried everything else I could think of. I've emptied it and refilled it to different levels a dozen times. It just doesn't work anymore. If I'm doing something wrong I can't imagine what. I don't want to have to buy pepper from Peugeot to make the grinder work.

Edited May 8 2010: We bought some cheap pepper at the grocery store and now the grinder works like it did originally. The peppercorns are slightly smaller than the good ones we get from Penzey's (which worked in every pepper grinder we ever had). We'll have to look for a different pepper that has a smaller size. I'm disappointed that this grinder is so restricted in what it can do. I'll have to bring some peppercorns in my pocket when I go shopping for a new type, just so I don't buy something that won't work in this grinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, functional, and great new adjustment feature!, December 9, 2008
This review is from: Peugeot PM23461 Paris U'Select 7-Inch Pepper Mill, Chocolate (Kitchen)
I have used Peugeot salt and pepper mills for a long time now. I decided to replace my pepper because it was one of the lacquered ones and, unfortunately, the lacquer chips easily. This chocolate-colored one seemed like the perfect choice because it is stained and not lacquered, but still has the dark color I wanted (my salt mill is the natural wood, also beautiful!).

My old ones were before the U-Select varieties and, while they were great, the new feature is REALLY wonderful! The first thing I did, upon receiving my new pepper mill, was to test all the grind settings and they did exactly as they were supposed to. Now I want a new salt with the new grind adjustment feature too!

These prices are great for Peugeot mills. They are high quality and so attractive. The 7" is my favorite because it fits easily into my cabinet shelves and is a great size for a family of two. They would make incredible gifts and you can get a set of one of each for a good price here too. I highly recommend Peugeot mills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definately NOT the same old grind, April 8, 2010
I first heard about this pepper mill from America's Test Kitchen on PBS. In their testing this mill was top rated. I wondered if the pricey pepper mill would be worth it and It is.

My complaint with most pepper mills are they are ugly, hard to crank and adjusting the grind is hit or miss and doesn't usually alter the finess of the grind that much. The Peugot Pepper mill is unique in having the adjustment for pepper grind on the bottom section of the mill's body and it is marked with lines showing you the grind setting. No more guessing, it gives a great range from very fine to corse and all at the turn of a ring. The grinding is easy as you turn the body of this classically designed wood mill. I love that it is made of wood and that it isn't too tall - some are way too tall for use when cooking. The mill is also easy to fill from the top.

If you want a high quality product that you will be happy every time you grab for it then the Peugot Pepper Mill is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Pepper Mill!, November 27, 2009
We shopped many items before settling on the Peugeot uSelect - and we've been VERY happy with it. The construction is solid - the heft in your hand is just right, and the adjustable grind setting is very effective. The 9" size is a nice balance - not too big for my wife, not too small for me, and it holds enough pepper to keep you cooking for weeks at a time. We'll have this one for a long time I think.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a nice pepper mill., May 10, 2009
Jan (Missouri) - See all my reviews
I researched for months before I decided on this pepper mill. I'm happy with my choice but I do wish I had gotten the larger size - I'm filling it more than I expected. The grind is very easy and smooth and I've not had a problem with the quantity of ground pepper as some reviewers have mentioned. I really like the u'select feature. You can change the coarseness in a flash so everybody gets their desired grind. You just dial the bottom section of the mill to the coarseness you want and it stays there until you change it again. That's the feature that sold me on this pepper mill.

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory grinder, December 8, 2010
Overall the fit and finish of the product is acceptable. The quality of the grind is good. It fits in the hand nicely and is moderate weight so it is solid enough yet not too heavy. Only complaint is the screw at the top which holds the cover on (you unscrew it to open the top to refill) always loosens as you use the grinder. Even if you screw it on tight, as you grind pepper, that motion seems to perpetually cause that screw to loosen so you have to stop and retighten again. Not a showstopper but definitely an inconvenience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice but does not work., September 21, 2010
Nick P (Carpentersville, Illinois USA) - See all my reviews
The u-select feature is nice but it is not worth the aggravation. If you use large tasty pepper corns they get stuck above the grinding mechanism because the hole in the wood block is too small. As a result, after a few turns you have to shake or try to knock the stuck peppercorns loose before you can get the mill to work again. I returned the first mill I bought because I thought this was caused by a poorly bored hole in the wood. The hole was not sanded and there were wood fibers catching the peppercorns. The second one was a little better but still had the sticking problem. It does not matter how much you fill the mill, the problem exists even if the mill is only filled a quarter way. Look for something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars The one thing it won't do is grind pepper, May 29, 2010
We bought one of these from Williams Sonoma. We cannot get it to grind pepper on any setting. It seems the peppercorns get caught. If we bang it on the table several times, we can get a few grinds out of it, but who wants to do that? I'm back to crushing pepper corns with a mortar and pestle until I get a different one.

Williams Sonoma wouldn't take it back without the receipt either. But who expects a pepper grinder not to work?

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating pepper mill, July 10, 2011
I had no major problems with this mill until I started using Tellicherry peppercorns, which tend to be slightly larger than common peppercorns. The Tellicherry peppercorns are continually getting jammed in the upper side of the grinding mechanism, and I either have to knock the side of the mill repeatedly with my hand, or if it is really bad, empty all of the peppercorns and dig around in the mill with a pick. Disappointing and frustrating to have trouble with such a simple (and not inexpensive) device.

1.0 out of 5 stars A lemon, August 7, 2013
I know this is a great product, so I'm going to give it the benefit of a doubt and assume that I must just have received a lemon. It doesn't grind properly, jams up, or doesn't grind at all. Or maybe the blades are dull. Not sure. i have not been able to identify the problem. So frustrating especially since the salt grinder works so well.

ARRAY(0xa4483f6c)