Published on June 23, 2011 by Cambridge Mom

Published 13 months ago by J

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect scooter as a child transitions into walking and beyond, June 23, 2011
This review is from: Pewi Ybike Ride On Toy and Walking Buddy (Sports)
We've had this product since our son was 11 months old. At first he pushed it around--he wasn't tall enough to sit on it and have his feet touch the floor--and it worked fine. The wheels move very easily in any direction, which is a bonus for a very practiced cruiser (freedom to go where they want), but makes it slip away easily for a child who needs help with balancing. I wouldn't recommend this for the stage where they are just beginning to cruise--you'll want a sturdier push cart for that. This small limitation shouldn't discourage you, though, because for us, the real joy of the bike came when my son could start to "ride" it as a bicycle. He was 13 months old before his feet fit firmly on the ground with his bum on the seat and then it was true love. At first, he couldn't quite go straight from one point to another, but he zig zagged around like a little speed racer, smiling and laughing the whole way. After a few weeks of seated riding, he could begin to maneuver it where he wanted to go--even if he was outside and his desired destination was 20 yards away. This was especially fun for him since he wasn't quite waking yet. It is hard to have a crawler outdoors, but this helped him play on rough surfaces without sacrificing his knees.

I am UPDATING this review at 15 months old. My son is now walking very well, and still loves his little bike. It works very well indoors and out, and it is hands-down his favorite toy and has been for the last couple months. It is so much fun that it attracts all sorts of attention from other children and parents. Whenever he sees it, he points to it and lets us know he wants to go outside and play. It seems like a great toy to keep him active and challenge his balance and coordination, and is definitely sturdy enough to survive multiple children. Much older children have ridden it, and I, myself, have sat on it with him. While I obviously wouldn't do that all the time, it did not crack or show any stress from the extra weight. I do think it helped him become an independent walker a little bit faster than he would have otherwise.

For reference, my son was 27lbs and 31" at his 12 month checkup, and he grew into this at about 12 months and 3 weeks, after a bit of a growth spurt. I assembled it myself in about 15 minutes. He began walking somewhere around 13 months, 2 weeks, and he loved it before and after.

1.0 out of 5 stars Tips headfirst very easily, not for use in most places you will want to use it, June 12, 2013
I know the product says to use it on a flat surface, but it should say not to use on carpet or in the vicinity of any non-flat surface, since any bump could cause disaster. My 12mo old daughter tipped twice (both times head first) a few minutes into her first use. Although she has a slight black eye, I consider her lucky to have fallen on carpet both times (the second time she was using it on hardwood but bumped into a small rug). I can see a walker promoting balance by being a bit tipsy, but this one will tip all the way forward in an unnatural way while both hands are on the front handle. Complete face-plant. This could cause a serious injury if used outside on cement. I am surprised that only a few reviews have mentioned this huge issue.

I rate 1 star to highlight the danger issue, but also because I think this a design issue that could be remedied with either the seat moved back or longer front legs. When she was not smashing her face on the floor she was really enjoying it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy, November 20, 2013
This product is very dangerous to be used by toddlers, unless it is on a completely flat floor. My 13 month tipped forward on it and lost a front tooth and chipped the other one badly. Spare yourself what we need to deal with due to this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing compares. Get this!, November 20, 2011
This review is from: Pewi Ybike Ride On Toy and Walking Buddy (Sports)
I purchased this for my grandson. He is approx. 19 months old, he crawls like a maniac, but has been a bit behind in walking development. He will pull up and walk around furniture, cabinets, etc. I honestly think he is afraid of falling down, so he tends to want to hang on to things. We are a little concerned, and have had him checked at a local childrens hospital (no apparent problems), but also know he will walk when he is ready. Grandma says he is just very cautious in approach to walking and I agree. We have purchased different ride on/walk behind toys and he likes them all but has difficulty turning them because the wheels only roll forward or backward. I suppose that is ok at first and works well for walkers for the elderly, but little guys like this are just learning and want go every where, in all directions, fast. That is what attracted me to this device. The ability to go any direction, quickly, because of the swivel casters on each of it's four legs. GENIUS IDEA, I thought to myself as I made my order. I received this yesterday and promptly put it together (very easy) and was quite impressed by the design, sturdy construction, component fit and finish. Called the daughter up to bring little man over to see his new "thing". What transpired once he was introduced to this was truly remarkable, and awesome. He seemed to like pushing it around while standing, walker style, and did quite well on our hardwood floor and rugs. But what he really liked to do was straddle the seat and walk it around, bike style. Not really sitting on it, but it appeared he liked the security of having a seat under him. After that it was unbelievable how fast he discovered his way around our home, "walking" and not crawiling. It was truly amaizing. When they got ready to go, I told his mom to take it with her to their home. This morning she reports that he took his dad around the house showing him every room. If he gets it in a jam he backs up, spins around and goes another way....on carpet. He actually calls it his "bike" when pointing at it. The YBike Pewi gets 5 thumbs up on PopPop's must buy list. Even if your little one is not having problems with walking, this thing is really fun......at least that is what I would think if I was little.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fun...but VERY dangerous, June 24, 2013
I did a lot of research before buying this product and thought the structure looked safe. My son LOVED it and used to zoom all over our house (terrazo tile). Last month he tipped twice face forward and had to go to ER for dermabond. He is 19 months and has had this since one year birthday. At first I thought his teeth had gone through his lip, it tips very easily, beware!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tips forward easily, June 6, 2013
This review is from: Pewi Ybike Ride On Toy and Walking Buddy (Sports)
Cute bike, good concept, but major issue with tipping forward. One tiny bump on the sidewalk, a crack in the tile, and the kid will go facefirst over the handlebars. Forget riding on carpet. I'm nursing my toddler's bloody chin as we speak. The other issue we have had is when he tries to go "fast", the back wheels bump his feet as he tries to run with the bike. Nice idea but not safe with its current construction.

2.0 out of 5 stars It's Tippy!, January 19, 2012
N. Gibbons (La Grange, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pewi Ybike Ride On Toy and Walking Buddy (Sports)
Bought this for my grandson who is about 25 pounds. We gave it to him around his first birthday. The first couple times he played with it he used it as a walker. When he got the idea that he could sit on it, he lit up and didn't want to put it away. There was no learning period. He understood right away how to move with it. The wheels move easily, and much to his delight, he can go quite fast on it. The big problem is that if there is a bump in the sidewalk, he tips head first. We thought he was going to lose a tooth this week. A bike helmet doesn't protect his mouth. Can't believe no one else has had this problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this bike but..., October 16, 2013
We bought this product for our daughters first birthday. She was little for her age and had a little difficulty getting on but she mastered it very quickly. She loves it! It is easy for the little ones to maneuver and it is very light weight.
I would give this five stars except for the tipping face first hazard. Because of the design when the little one gets going their center of gravity is forward over the handle bars. Also if they get stuck on something they push and over they go. They can easily tip forward if they run into something (rug, foot, toy, threshold, etc.) And because of the age of the rider they don't know how to catch themselves and will land on their faces!
I think this problem could be fixed if the design was tweaked a little by having the handle tip back towards the seat and not tipping forward.
Other than that this is a great first bike for the little ones!

3.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions, August 22, 2011
What a neat product. My parents bought this for my daughter who just turned one. She crawls, cruises, and has taken a few steps but definitely uses the walk behind products a lot right now. The design is ingenious. She can walk behind the "bike" and even turn (which is something she hadn't been able to do with other products). Or she can ride and push the bike. She really seems to enjoy the freedom of movement and is all smiles when scooting around. The wheels are like rollerblade wheels and move easily on the carpet but when she gets on tile she can really move without falling. Assembly was a breeze and the bike seems very sturdy. I do not anticipate any issues. Overall I would definitely recommend this product for a child learning to walk.

Update-While I still think this product is neat it does not work well on carpet. My daughter trying to push it through the carpet has toppled headfirst over the front when it tips because there is too much resistance. I have reduced my 5 star rating to 3. I wish it were more stable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect., October 20, 2013
The ability to be pushed and ridden makes this perfect. The wheels are sufficient for a bit of off-roading even. Only complaint is that for the ride-on function, the bike is a bit top heavy and the wheels can get caught causing the child to go over the "handlebars" and lead to some crying. If the weight was distributed slightly differently, or if those front wheels were just an inch further out, this would be perfect.

Pewi Ybike Ride On Toy and Walking Buddy