Buy this fly rod and reel kit; it will make you happy.

Published on November 29, 2011 by ira_nyc

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit
Published on October 20, 2011 by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb fly rod and good reel; this WILL catch trout and bass for you!, November 29, 2011
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
Buy this fly rod and reel kit; it will make you happy.

It has been a while since I've written many Amazon reviews, but I am going out of my way to write one now. Why? Because this is a darned good Fly Rod and Reel. In fly fishing, especially true for 99% of beginners, there is this myth thinking that goes like this: if I buy the best and most expensive of everything, then I'll catch oodles of fish. But it simply isn't true, and deep down we all know this. But indeed we get hung up on website after website and scores of reviews of higher end fly fishing products thinking that IF ONLY we had the $500 fly rod, then I could catch more... well, put that thinking out of your head and buy this Pflueger fly rod and reel kit. You WILL catch all the fish you want--whether to eat or catch-and-release.

Quite some times ago, I took a fly fishing two-day intensive course at the Orvis flagship store in Vermont. Then I went out fly fishing with some professional guides. I also logged many hours by myself and with friends in some streams and rivers in the NY area. At first, I used a very expensive Orvis fly rod and reel. I also used an LL Bean setup (equally good and light, but half the price).

Then along came this Pflueger kit, and I thought I would give it a try (especially because the price dropped to $25 that day on Amazon Prime). WOW was I surprised. It feels VERY nice in the hand, and casts wonderfully. A size 8 brown wooly bugger in fall nabbed a fantastic 18" brown trout; a size 14 olive scud nabbed a 15" rainbow. And countless panfish flies worked wonders on largemouth bass and bluegills in NY lakes. ALL on this humble fly rod that many scoff at.

It is nearly as light as the Orvis or LL Bean rods, but seriously guys, you are NOT going to feel the difference of a few ounces--don't over-analyze ounces here. And OK, the reel has a 'set drag' that you cannot adjust - it is FINE. Don't kid yourself into thinking that if you buy a $300 reel it is going to make an iota of difference in catching that brookie. Instead, choosing the right fly will help in that case.

To repeat: this rod casts very nicely, the action is good for a 5wt-to-6wt. It is NOT an Orvis Helios level rod, but it is darn close as far as beginners need to know. Let me repeat: a beginner will not know the difference between this and a Helios. And you WILL catch lots of fish with this Pflueger rod and reel.

The ONLY shortcoming on this kit are the flies--they are OK but as you may know by now, you should be trying to "match the hatch" and the six flies this comes with are limited. Also, the 4X leader it comes with is just OK; get yourself some Umpqua or Orvis Super Strong leaders (yes, you can survive without Orvis Mirage leaders): Umpqua Trout Tapered Leaders - 3 pack

If you absolutely have money to burn, purchase this kit and then upgrade the fly line by buying a new WF-6WT (weight forward, 6 wt) for $20 or so, and tie it on yourself (nail knot to backing). You will feel very proud after doing this. For instance, Scientific Anglers Supra Fly Line, WF6F will do the trick and although it is not a SA GPX Taper line, it will be wonderful for you and this rod. Spend your time learning to double haul instead of dreaming that a pricier fly line will help you cast an additional 50 yards.

I like this kit so much, that I am going to use it as my main fly rod just to prove the point (and yes, I own an Orvis Hydros). That way, when you or some less affluent kids see me at the lake, they can see than for $40 (or less) you can get a perfectly good fly rod and reel kit that catches puh-lenty of fat fish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great starter kit that is well made equiptment., August 10, 2010
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
We went over all the choices with our neighbor who is an expert fly fisherman. He said for starting out we should get this brand rather than the cheaper ones just to save a few dollars. He especially did not like the one with the plastic reel. We were set up in no time and are totally satisfied. We saw the same kit for $54.99 at Bass Pro Shop. He said not to go for the expensive equiptment until we know what we are doing. He has seen people break hundreds of dollars of equiptment on their first time out. Now if we only can catch some trout!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Starter Kit, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
To start off, this is a pretty good deal. I bought it so I could present light poppers and flies to the local panfish population, and to learn how to cast a fly rod. As such, it works well. The fit and finish of the rod and reel are great, with a comfortable cork grip, a fine shine on the rod, and a metal reel. The kit also included everything I needed to hit the water on the first day.

You get what you pay for however, and there is at least one thing that you may wish to upgrade before you even get started. The biggest problem is the included fly line. It is level, which is more difficult to cast than tapered or weight forward line. It also sinks in the water. This is desirable for some situations, but if you let your fly sit on the water for any length of time, you will have to pull most of your line in before you can make another cast. Sinking line also makes the roll cast very difficult for all but the shortest casts. Finally, the line has memory, meaning curls prevent easy shooting of line while casting. I rate the line a 2.

The rod is fiberglass, and has a pretty slow action, which means it bends all the way to the reel on the cast. For short casts that's fine, and pretty forgiving of inexperienced users, but when you want to cast for distance, the rod is too highly loaded to go much beyond 30 feet. I rate the rod a 4.

The reel is made of metal and so I expect it to be durable, but it does not have a drag adjustment. Therefore when casting, occasionally I accidently pull out a little line with my line hand. This is not a problem because with small fish and short cast distances, I could fish without a reel altogether, and it does a perfectly fine job of holding the line once I'm through fishing. I rate the reel a 3.

The tapered leader is pretty lightweight, and although perfectly adequate, I think I nearly broke it pulling the knot on my fly tight because I'm used to 8-lb mono. You are going to need a few spare leaders, because you will put casting knots in it and break it several times when you first start using it. The flies are decent, aimed at mostly smaller fish. I give the leader and flies a 4.

To summarize, I think this is a good deal and it met my price/performance target to get me started in fly fishing. This combo can catch dozens of fish right out of the package and is not a bad tool for learning to cast. If you want to pursue the sport further however, I would strongly recommend getting some new fly line at a minimum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong for the price..., December 8, 2010
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
For getting into fly fishing for the first time, like me, its great. Of course, not for anyone advanced. You get what you pay for.

The reel is metal which is nice, but the line and leader are crap. I would recommend buying someother cheap line, but nothing nice because then you'll be paying more for line than a rod and reel. The pole has great flex and casts smoothly.

Overall, pretty good fly rod combo for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good starter kit, August 2, 2012
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
The rod is very decent and so is the reel although the drag is pretty much a joke. The reel on mine was plastic, metal would have been nice but it functions fine for the beginner. This is the best choice for someone that is looking to learn to fly fish becuase if you bought a basic rod and reel by themselves it would probably cost you double this price. The backing was easy to spool on and it comes with 5 dry flies, one 4x tappered 9foot leader, 25yards of 6lb even fly line that is not tappered(very basic), 50yards of 20lb backing, the fly rod is 3 pieces but I recomend that you take the tip piece off for transport so it is only 6ft long to make it easier to store and put in your car. You could use the fly line that comes with it but I upgraded to a weight forward 6 wt floating line for $15 so it would be easier to cast. The flies are not the best quality and will probably fall apart(due to rookie technique) when you are learning to cast, atleast mine did. To get better I watched alot of youtube videos on how to cast and practiced in the yard away from trees of course! You really do need the nail knot tying tool to tie you backing to fly line and fly line to leader because it is like imposssible to do it without it and you will become very frustrated(trust me).

What you are going to also need:
1. a nail knot tying tool(very important)
2. one or two extra 4x tappered 9ft leaders(important)
3. Decent quality dry flies(ones not made in china or locally made)(important)
4. wf6f fly line(optional)
5. 4x tippet(optional)
6. alot of practice(required)

Overall I feel like it is harded to learn than what I expected, there is a very specific way you need to cast(much different from a spinning rod)but once you get it down basically you will find it more enjoyable. I have yet to catch any fish yet but I only went out one time so far just to practice on the water which is better than the grass becuase you will hook the grass and rip your fly apart. Just like anything the startup cost is always going to be expensive so buy what you need inorder.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within 10 casts, April 2, 2013
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
Seemed promising at first but on the second day of use I had one good cast and then it snapped about three inches above the cork. The top 6 1/2 feet went into the river and floated away only to get caught on the hook. Spent the rest of the day casting with the reel in my pocket and a shorter rod. Maybe it was just a fluke, but it was a really bad experience. I'll be spending more when I replace it unless someone can convince me it was just a lemon. Never had a bad experience with an Amazon purchased product before...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginner. Leader "hidden" ., July 24, 2012
M. Weglinski (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
I have not used this product yet, but I wanted to let other customers know where to look for the leader. It is taped to the back of a piece of cardboard. I had read reviews stating that it seemed to be a coin flip as to whether or not it was included. I may have just gotten lucky, but since it is packaged in a non-obvious place, hopefully this will help future buyers know where to look.

I'm pretty sure it's on the back of the cardboard that says "8' Fly Rod" and lists all of the included components.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Beginners Set!, July 29, 2011
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
I have fished my entire life, but never had the opportunity to try my hand at fly fishing. Wanting to try something new, but not wanting to spend a lot of money, I decided to try this set. I AM HOOKED!!!! Not literally, but figuratively...

My package arrived promptly, as always with Amazon... I immediately put it all together and went out in the back yard and tried my hand at fly casting. It only took a few minutes to figure out the timing, but once I had that down I was ready to go fishing...

I chose a heavily fished area close to home. It fact, the last few times I went fishing with my spin cast I didn't even get a hit. Not so with this new setup. I guess the fish didn't see it coming. I caught four fish and missed three others by trying to set my hook too soon. The rod and reel performed flawlessly...

I forgot to mention that I did change the line to an inexpensive WF fly line from my local shop. This may cause some to five it a lesser evaluation, but for the price I cannot give this set anything less than five stars...

Happy Fishing!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the same product as was once listed, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
The reel that is on this part number is no longer a metal reel. It is all plastic. The drag in the reel, fresh out of the package had to be repaired and will most likely not last very long as the cogs on the spool and the flippers in the drag setup are also just plastic. The pole is a nice pole, and it seems the line is of good quality as well, but you will be buying a replacement reel with little use on the product that actually ships in this kit now. Pflueger should be ashamed of selling such a reel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beginning, August 1, 2013
This review is from: Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch (Sports)
I bought one for myself and was so impressed I bought two more. One for my son and his girlfriend . I used hers when we went to visit him in CA. Nice rod and easy to use. You can't beat the price.

Pflueger Fly Kit, 8-Feet 0-Inch