Top critical review
173 of 183 people found this helpful
Amazing sound, uncomfortable fit.
on April 7, 2011
I bought these without trying them out first: this is the only way to buy Phiaton in the US.
Let's start with the good.
1. The sound. The sound is absolutely stunning. I am not an expert, but do have several pairs of high performance earphones, including Klipsch image X10 and X5. After a side by side comparison, Phiaton came in as a winner. The bass is well balanced, highs and mids are exceptionally defined. The whole thing is very, very listenable.
2. You can listen to music even without having noise cancelling option turned on. The volume and quality of sound drops just a tiny bit, but it is still pretty good.
Now the bad.
1. These little things are very light weight, have a noise cancelling box half way down the cord. The box isn't much bigger than the AAA battery that it holds. The positioning of it is unfortunate, however. When I run with these, it I have to hold my iPhone in hand, instead of putting it in the pocket, and that gets old.
2. Poor fit. While they create a good seal, my left ear got very sore after a two hour run with the earphones.
3. The general construction of the earphone: flimsy. These are definitely not designed for longevity. The first day, the little rubber seal between the back of the earphone and the silicone ear tip came off. I put it back, but it will not stay where it needs to be. Also, the gold colored wire that holds the earphone to the cord, doesn't feel very durable. And these do not tolerate sweat very well. I wonder how long it would take me to corrode the wire... I will keep you updated.
In a nutshell... If you want excellent sound, but don't care about other things, these are for you. I decided to keep them, even if for airplane travel, as the noise cancelling feature is very adequate. Happy shopping!