4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a sound boost
I needed to replace my old 19" CRT TV (yes really) because my cable company got rid of all analog channels and I hated having to turn on devices just to check the weather.

Published 23 months ago by stephie

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent TV at a good price - Not recommended to hang on wall
Published 15 months ago by CB

4.0 out of 5 stars Needs a sound boost, May 6, 2012
stephie (Northeast USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 22PFL4507 22-Inch 60Hz LED TV (Black) (Electronics)

I couldn't find any reviews anywhere on this TV and it's one of the few brands I recognized. My HDD's are Phillips and they're awesome so I had hoped this TV would be too. This Phillips was meant to be the one I watched the most but 22" was too small for that (bought a 26" Vizio for that purpose) so it's been put to use in another room instead.

I use this TV daily and coming from a CRT, WOW, there's a major difference in the picture. All the 1080 channels are just beautiful with crisp clear colors. Sound-wise though it could use a boost. I suggest adding external speakers to this unit because the speakers are in the back and aim upwards, so if you have it in a TV cabinet like I do, the sound will be too low in your average sized room.

The remote and settings are intuitive and easy to use. The TV was easy to connect, lots of cable options (component, HDMI, etc.). I can say that even though I didn't need or want to replace my old TV I do not miss it. Even with wide screen everything, which for me, takes some getting used to, I'm liking this.

I wish there were more reviews but I got a great price and so far am happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice TV for the Price, September 2, 2012
Jay Tee (Dubuque, Iowa USA) - See all my reviews
I had this TV unpacked, assembled, hooked up and working in less that 30 minutes. It went into a channel search automatically when turned on for the first time. The channel search required about half of the 30 minutes needed to get it going.

I think the TV has a great picture and sound for a TV of this size and price. It was easy to assemble the stand with two screws and the channel setup was automatic after attaching the cable and plugging it in. After that you go thru a very easy procedure to adjust the picture settings to your requirements. That was it, nothing else required to make it operational and it's been working great since. Correction, you do need to insert the batteries into the remote and turn the TV on before the channel setup will start.

There is one thing you need to know. The 22 inch model has only one HDMI connection, not three as stated on the web site. It appears you must buy the 26 inch model if you need more than one HDMI. I have no need for the one that it does have so I'm not down-rating the TV for this web site error.

4.0 out of 5 stars 1 minor hiccup, July 7, 2012
N. Bolerjack (at the lake . . .) - See all my reviews
I bought this TV for my wife in the bedroom and it is perfect for that application. Its beautiful and bright. My only complaint is that in the "technical details" it claims to have 3 HDMI ports, but in fact it only has one. I was really disappointed to discover this upon arrival because that was a selling feature for me. According to the paperwork, the 26" and up versions have the 3 HDMI.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tv, May 25, 2012
I was looking to replace the tv in my daughter's bedroom. She is only 3 years old. I am familiar with the Philips brand because we already owned a 32" and a 60". I thought it was best to stick with what I knew. When this arrived I was pleased and surprised. The tv has touch sensors on it instead of buttons. Sound quality is good and it is even slimer than the other tvs in the house. I don't think there is anything to complain about.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bedroom TV...would be an excellent Dorm Room TV!, August 30, 2012
Set up was a breeze...replaced an older tube TV in the bedroom with this.

Color is excellent and it is very very energy efficient. $4 a year running 6 hours a day, which is way more than I'll run.

Reason I bought was that it was 1080 instead of the 720 generally available in this price range.

UPDATE

Have had this TV for several months now. It continues to amaze me with the color and clarity. Sound could be better, but generally speaking not watching big movies with this. Did have the opportunity to catch the Monday night football game on this and was great. Recommend this for anyone looking for a quality, fairly priced system

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent TV at a good price - Not recommended to hang on wall, January 11, 2013
I hung this TV on the wall of my exercise room. So far the picture is great. The speakers of the TV are pointed down and it seems since it is hanging on the wall the sound has nothing to bounce off of so it is very quiet. I have to turn the volume up very high to get decent level. If i put my hand under the speaker it seems to get louder. So I would not recommend this TV if you are hanging it on a wall. Also the TV only has 1 HDMI port (the description when I bought it said 2).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bedroom TV, May 29, 2012
I bought this TV to go in my bedroom and connect to a Roku XD|S and I have to say it works great. The picture is great, sound isn't what you'd expect from a stereo but it is quite good for TV speakers, the remote and menus are easy to use and understand, and the TV isn't heavy and quite thin. For the price and size you can't find a much better TV. (Note: I can't comment on the tuner function as I'm not using that but I don't see any reason why that would be a problem)

I do want to add that when I first hooked this up I did have some frustrating issues with it constantly saying my Roku player was giving it a resolution that it could not support. I was using the same HDMI cable that I was using to connect my Roku to a HANNSpree monitor which was working fine. I also noticed that when I power cycled my Roku the TV would display the startup screen but once the menu loaded it gave me either the resolution error or a blue screen. I tried adjusting every setting possible and was really close to giving up. As a last ditch effort (and fullt convinced that it wasn;t going to help) I used another HDMI cable to go from the Roku to the new TV and amazingly that solved the problem. It still kind of confuses me as to why the old HDMI cable worked fine going from my Roku to the HANNSpree but not to this Phillips TV but I don't see any way that this is the fault of the TV. The old HDMI cable was a lighter weight and the only thing that I can assume is that since I am using conduit for the power and HDMI cable and the monitor had a thicker power cable than this TV does there is more interference in the conduit that affected the lighter weight HDMI cable. Again, none of this is the fault of the TV but I wanted to add it in case anyone else ran into similar issues with this or another TV. If you're having issues make sure you are using a heavy weight HDMI cable (you don't need to buy an expensive one, just one that has good insulation) and if you are running your HDMI cable and power cable in the same conduit try taking it out of the conduit just to verify before you blame the TV.

Overall this is a great little TV for a bedroom and if you're looking for something in this size you'll be more than satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal Kitchen TV, September 12, 2012
The Phillips 22 inch TV is ideal for our galley kitchen. The image is sharp and clear. The sound is very good and the color is excellent. It was easy to set up and user friendly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp Picture, Mediocre Sound, January 13, 2013
I bought this TV as a monitor for the kids' computer. It seems fairly sturdy, and the picture is nice and sharp. When it didn't display all of the desktop for the computer, one of the kids' friends figured out that the TV itself has settings that took care of that. Very versitile for a basic TV. The sound is somewhat lacking - it is clear, but with not much in the way of bass. I guess that is what you would expect from a TV. Overall, I am happy with this TV, both for its brief use as a television (picked up channels quickly and clearly), and for its day to day use as a computer monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great TV, but I'd go for a bigger screen, November 23, 2012
I bought this TV to replace a tiny 15" CRT TV in the bedroom and it's a fine TV. In fact, I have to say that everything I've ever bought with the Philips and Magnavox name on it has performed flawlessly--and that goes back probably 20 years. I have not one single complaint in all those years. This TV has very good color fidelity and very good sound. My only issue is that the 22" screen is a bit smaller than I was thinking (I bought it online without looking at one in a store--I hate store shopping) and so when I watch a letterbox dvd, it's smaller yet. Still, I think everything about this TV from set-up to image quality is super and I particularly like that it integrates so seamlessly with my Philps dvd player.

The bottom line is that for under $200 (pretty far under $200 if you have Prime and don't have to pay shipping) this is a really good TV for a small bedroom. I've since replaced it with a larger TV (a 40" Philips) but I'm thinking of putting this one in the kitchen to watch news while cooking.

ARRAY(0xa808e930)

Philips 22PFL4507 22-Inch 60Hz LED TV (Black)
Used & New from: $175.94