5.0 out of 5 stars No compromise alternative to 65W flood
I think these bulbs are a great, no compromise alternative to a 65W incandescent indoor flood light. They are rated at a few lumens more than a standard light and when I mixed and matched these with standard 65W bulbs (in a room with multiple recessed lights) neither me nor my wife could see a difference at any dimming level.

I'm seeing a lot of odd reviews...
Published on January 13, 2010 by William F. Stasior

1.0 out of 5 stars Super short one month life-span
This bulb only last me about a month with 4-6 hours of use a day. That is completely unacceptable, especially for the cost of this bulb. I am using the bulb in a open bottom trim 5" recessed lighting can. I have standard incandescent, GE halogens, GE halogen energy savers, and CFL's in adjacent cans that have been lasting their normal life spans.

The bulb...
Published on August 5, 2009 by Luke S

5.0 out of 5 stars No compromise alternative to 65W flood, January 13, 2010
William F. Stasior (Mountain View, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 40-Watt BR30 Halogena Energy Saver Reflector Flood Light (Tools & Home Improvement)

I'm seeing a lot of odd reviews claiming these have mercury (they don't), aren't bright (they are), and take time to warm up (absolutely not true) -- which make me think that people are confused about the bulb they are reviewing. There are also reviews stating that these burned out quickly -- which I can't speak to (having only put them in recently) but they are rated as having long lives, and all bulb lifetimes are statistical averages.

It's fair to say that these bulbs are not nearly as efficient as CFLs. But if you are unsatisfied with the latter, these bulbs offer a significant energy savings (almost 40% less or, looking at it the other way, a 65W bulb uses 63% more electricity than one of these).

My biggest complaint about this product is that I can't buy it in bulk. I'm sure the cost/bulb could be lower if they were packaged in cartons of 10 or more but that doesn't seem to be available.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best solution for digital dimmers and electronic eyes, June 25, 2009
A. Doss (Los Angeles) - See all my reviews
Been slowly updating the lighting in my home with more efficient, compact fluorescents, cold cathode compact fluorescents, and LED's. There were two areas were CFL's and CCFL's just plain didn't work. The first, an electronic eye in the hallway. The CFL and CCFL would flicker and give off light at such a frequency that the electronic eye couldn't handle it. The other was with a series of Lutron's digital dimmers (Maestro). These lights fade up and down when you turn them on and off....and every solution of "dimmable" CFL's and CCFL's struggled with these digital dimmers. No matter how much I burned in the bulbs...a double tap on the Maestro (to full on) would put the digital dimmer into a loop....

The Halogena Energy Savers have been the solution to both problems (the LED would probably work for the electronic eye, but are still too expensive for my tastes). In the electronic eye situation, the light fires up, no problem, no lag in warmup time...and no loss of brightness.

For my digital dimmers these bulbs work with the same functionality as incadescents...no flicker/flutter...great dimming range.

As I don't want to replace my digital dimmers with analog, these bulbs with a 30% wattage savings...have been the best solution for my usage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Energy Saving Alternative!, October 20, 2008
C. Miele (Monroe Township, NJ) - See all my reviews
I just replaced the Compact Fluorescent light bulbs I had in the recessed cans in my living room with these Halogena Energy Savers from Philips. What a difference! It is so much brighter in my living room now and The best part is that I can finally dim my lights at night and save energy at the same time! It is a great alternative for those of us who do not like the light quality of Compact Fluorescents, but still want to save energy and help the environment. These are great bulbs from Philips!

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good...., January 2, 2011
I just installed this light in my kitchen which has 2 other dimmable flood lights. The light from this bulb is perhaps a little bluer, but I wouldn't be able to tell without the other two to compare with. They dim very well and save energy (not as much as CFLs but they dim sooooo much better that I'm willing to accept a 30% savings vs. a 70% savings). They are rated to last 1.5 times as long as your average incandescent so if they do as promised, I will consider this to great product. Echoing a comment from another reviewer, my only criticism is I can't buy them in a 4 or 6 pack.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super short one month life-span, August 5, 2009

The bulb light quality is much better then CFL's but not as good as a standard filament incandescent. Overall the difference in light quality between this bulb and an incandescent bulb is not big enough difference to warrant the extra 25 watts of electricity per bulb that a incandescent uses. I am giving this product a 1 star rating for now due to the ridiculously short life span. I bought two lights at the time of purchase and replaced the burn out bulb with a new Philips Halogena bulb, if the new bulbs lasts as long as it should then I will change my rating.

Update:
It's official these bulbs are total junk, the second bulb burnt out a few weeks ago, that's only a little over 3 mouths of life!

Update 2:
I tried again and got burned. I bought two Philips Halogena 40w (60w replacement) bulbs at my local big box hardware store about 6 months ago for some lamps. One of the bulbs burnt out already the other is still going strong so Philips has some spotty quality control issues. I am now only using the GE halogen energy saver bulbs and have had no issues. I would recommend them to anyone as an alternative to the Philips energy saver bulbs, the GE bulbs are much cheaper at your local big box hardware store then they are on amazon

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bulbs, July 13, 2009
PSU-Bike (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
As I've posted before, I love these (halogena energy saver) bulbs. I've got a variety of these throughout my home and am completely satisfied with the light quality and dimming performance (especially compared to compact fluorescent bulbs). Another bonus is that they do not have mercury. In any case, I'm hooked and will buy these again when the need arises.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips 40-Watt BR30 Halogena Energy Saver Reflector Flood Light, September 9, 2013
The light bulbs I received did serve it purpose. I was concern at first, because the lumens were different then what the picture showed. I had purchased these lights in the past and liked them and wanted to purchase the same thing just like the picture showed. They need to up date the picture. I call Philips and they no longer make the lumens I wanted. So, I kept the bulbs and they work great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, April 9, 2013
T. M. Pruitt (Saint Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
While only slightly more efficient than standard incandescent bulbs, these bulbs produce far superior light quality to any other household product. At full strength, the light is an intense halogen white. The lamps dim through the full scale of intensity, and become warmer as they dim, through shades of yellow, amber, and red. The result -- especially with reflector lamps like these -- is a romantic and soothing glow at the dimmer settings, all the way up to operating theatre bright at full intensity.

We have 38 recessed cans in our home and my only complaint is that I can't buy these in bulk!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the knock off brands, January 21, 2013
Bought several cheap knock off brand bulbs. They lasted half of what these do. So I am back to buying the good kind. Philips

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than CFLs, March 2, 2009
Replacing a dimmable flood light with a CFL is a non starter. Meanwhile these lights consume much less power than a traditional incandescent and provide cool white light in a similar color spectrum to incandescents.