on June 17, 2009
These bulbs work very well and do in fact give off the equivalent lumens/brightness that a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb gives off while only using 40W. In the fixture I'm using them in I had 4 60W bulbs, using 240W in total. Now I have 4 40W halogens that are just as bright as the 60W bulbs were, and use 160W of power in total. They're not as efficient as compact flourescents, but they're a perfect compromise for anyone who wants a warm pleasant light while still using less power than incandescent bulbs. Because halogen bulbs typically run hotter than incandescent ones, these bulbs should not be used in any recessed and/or enclosed fixture. Any opened fixture or lamp is fine.
on July 20, 2009
I'm a big fan of these energy saver Halogenas. My house has over 57 light sockets. Recessed, eyeballs, globes, tubes, and all sorts of switches from standard on/off rockers to electronic and analog dimmers to electronic eyes (for the garage hallway).

Now, my electronic dimmers (Lutron Maestro) seem to freak out with CFL's....and I've brought all sorts of dimmable brands from expensive CFL's and CCFL's to economy packs at the big box stores. I've also tried to put CFL's and CCFL's where the infrared electronic eye switches are located. For the dimmers, CFL's and CCFL's struggle with the fade up / fade down (when you turn the lights on/off) and struggle at "full on" double tap and really, don't dim very well.

The electronic / infrared eyes are another problem. The CFL's appear to interfere / flicker with the electronic eye, so, once trigger, the bulb freaks out the eye...keeps setting it off, so the lights don't go out. Could just be my hallway application (and the way the three way switch is set up).

Now, onto the Halogena energy savers. Let's face it, I want to pay less on my electric bills. Hence the motivation to stick in CFL's and CCFL's wherever I can. These Halogena's do use less electricity than incadescent and don't get as hot. So, while not the same energy savings as CFL (and LED's don't seem to dim and cost way too much) these Halogena's are the best option from energy savings for some lighting applications/fixtures.

I only wish there were different color temperature options. Otherwise, these are great bulbs for a lot of uses.
VINE VOICEon July 16, 2009
I got a couple packs of these to try out and am satisfied with them. When compared to a Reveal bulb I would say the tint is maybe slightly greener. I'm not saying the light looks green just that the tint is different. The light is pleasing though. They save energy over a standard bulb and offer a pleasing incandescent light that many are looking for. I think that these types of bulbs with the continued efficiency improvements coming soon for them make them a good bridge until the LED tech matures for home use.