4.0 out of 5 stars Great for TV or Movies (do firmware update for video games)
Multiple EDIT sections added, Philips fixed the lag issue in the latest firmware release.

If you don't want to read the whole review: This TV is pretty good for movies and TV, but is unusable for video games. EDIT: The latest firmware update fixes the lag issue! Thank you Philips for listening.

Postive features :

The image looks very good...
Published on September 28, 2010 by Jasper

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - Only lasted 18 Months
Published on July 17, 2012 by Chicadita

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for TV or Movies (do firmware update for video games), September 28, 2010
Jasper (Cincinnati, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips 40PFL3705D/F7 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV, Black (Electronics)

Postive features :

The image looks very good. It is a 120Hz 1080P TV with anti-judder. It does an excellent job of anti-judder or "digital natural motion" as they call it. It produces good contrast (for an LCD) after calibration, and after some painful calibration color can look OK as well. There are 3 HDMI inputs, composite, component and S-video. There is coaxial audio out (more on this in a moment). I had some friends over and they all agree it looks great. EDIT: After using DNM for a while now I actually prefer it off, mostly because it makes film look like video. You may want to take this into consideration before buying a 120Hz over a cheaper 60Hz tv

Missing \ Lacking features:

There is no vga input. There is no digital audio in - other than HDMI. There is no optical audio out. There is no full resolution 1:1 signal to display (image is always overscanned in 1080p). This means there is no way to get all 1080 pixels width on the screen and the image is cropped between 2.5% and 5%. Note that 1:1 is available when a non-HD or non-SD resolution is passed over HDMI. This issue is minor, only noted for completeness.

There is only one user preset, and if you change any display setting after selecting a preconfigured preset (game, movie, sports), you overwrite your user preset, so you have to remember or write down your calibration settings. This too is a minor issue.

There are limited user configuration options: you cannot set gamma, you cannot control the level of digital natural motion, you cannot turn off dynamic contrast, you cannot set HDMI black level. Most people won't understand those settings anyway. A TV calibration professional will have access to more calibration options using the maintenance mode where they can set white balance and cut-off levels.

Negatives:

Lag. Even with "Game" preset, or with 120 hz turned off and virtual surround turned off there is substantial lag. This makes it unusable for most video games. Philips is working on this, so I hope a future firmware update will resolve this issue. EDIT: Philips did resolve this and I am glad to report that the game mode and even slight modificiation of the game mode (to create a personal profile) has minimal lag. 120Hz has unavoidable video lag due to the fact that the TV has to "see" the frames before it can process the inbetween frames.

Even though there is lag in 120Hz mode and in games (EDIT: after firmware update lag in game mode is negligable) you do not notice it on movies because the audio is re-synched, but this forces me to use the coax audio out to my older receiver ([Device -> TV -> Receiver] instead of [Device -> Receiver -> TV]). The alternative would be to use a receiver with lip sync functions. Philips tells me a receiver with HDMI 1.3 should sync correctly.

If you have to use and older receiver, like me, then be aware Digital audio out is only Dolby Digital. A DTS bitstream passed to the TV seems to be decoded and ouput as stereo. Chances are that if you have a receiver that handles the new DTS formats then it will also do audio sync for you anyway.

If there is a firmware update from Philips that addresses these issues I will come back and alter this review (looking forward to that). EDIT: Thank you Philips for fixing this issue.

Bottom Line:

If you do not intend to play video games then I can recommend this TV. EDIT: Firmware update fixes the video lag. I can recommend this TV.

4.0 out of 5 stars With the right settings this TV is a great buy for the price!, December 27, 2010
I bought this TV as a second choice when the Vizio I wanted was out of stock. As most reviewers have stated the picture quality on Blu-ray and my now defunct HD-DVD movies are spectacular! It makes watching a movie a new experience as the high def and natural motion feature gives the movies an almost 3D realism and pop, very satisfied with that! View from angles produce slightly softer picture but overall still solid.

I havent experienced any of the sound fluctuations that other reviewers have talked about so far but I have noticed that if you hookup a sound system through the component cables there is a noticeable lag between the sound and picture so it looks like your watching a Kungfu movie :( I'm going to see if using a sound system through HDMI solves the problem (I'll update this review if I get any results).

Now to the meat and potatoes: I see everyones been complaining about videogaming on this tv. I first had this problem myself but ONLY on my Xbox 360, PS3 games play magnificently on the TV with no lag or screen distortion. I have found that if you turnoff Natural Motion 120hz and use an HDMI hookup instead of Component the lag will no longer affect gameplay. (Dont put Game Mode on as it will switch 120hz back on without you knowing which will cause the distortion and lag again) I'm VERY HAPPY I found this out because Im a huge gamer and I almost took this tv back before I made this discovery.

All in All, I am very satisfied with this TV and would recommend it to anyone especially for its affordability and the fact that it performs so well in spite of the cheaper pricetag. Just be sure to make a few adjustments to your setup in regards to your picture and sound as well as your gaming setup. Hope this helps anyone on the fence about this HDTV, now back to Call of Duty lol

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - Only lasted 18 Months, July 17, 2012
I have this TV and the picture just went out. I have sound, but no picture at all, not even the menu. And, of course, Philips only has a 12 month warranty. The nearest repair shop is 90 miles away and the part, labor, and gas will result in more than we paid for the TV. This is a buyer beware item. Anything that dies just after the warranty, especially a big ticket item like this, is to be avoided.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a Full 120 HZ TV... Baloney for games and extra monitors, February 21, 2011
I have this television, I will be honest it was a nice buy, but has anyone actually read the manual. I use mine as an addition monitor to play wow and dont get me wrong its a great picture, but through HDMI this tv maxes out at 60hz. Check the specifications page ppl. picture enchancement is full hd 1920x1080 @ 60-120 hz the Hdmi is full Hd 1920x1080 24hz-60hz . If you play video games or use this as a monitor, look for a 120hz hdmi capable tv that also does not lag.

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, October 29, 2012
Just like others have written, after about 18 months the television wouldn't turn on - just a blank, black screen. I have audio but I cannot see the screen. There is probably an easy fix as others have pointed out in the comments, but I feel I shouldn't have to deal with this. Do not buy this television!

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillips LCD TV Excellent, November 4, 2010
Very pleased with the Phillips LCD TV. Picture quality is very good, and sound too. I have basic and expanded Cable but not digital cable or box. The TV is picking up about 40+ digital stations without having to pay for digital cable. I can choose to watch most channels in basic or digital mode on another channel. It is also picking up all the extra 50 or so digital music chancels and others that I could not get before. Excellent.

Amazon.com's handling of the sale , delivery was very pleasing and the free shipping is always a bonus!!

I had tried to purchase the TV about 2 weeks prior but could not be there for it's delivery so waited. The price had gone up by $30 by the time I could purchase it. On the day of delivery an email came from Amazon showing the price to be again $30 less. I called support and asked if they could refund the $30. They did without any protest. I Think I got the email because I had forgotten to take it out of my 'wish list'. As you can imagine I was very happy to get it at the lower price. The price had still been the best at Amazon, even with the increase than I could find at any other trusted website.
My only complaint is that amazon has very skimpy information on products, the detail are minimal. Thus I have to go to various other sites to get the full specifications on anything I buy at Amazon. Whish they could remedy this as it takes too much time to find the nitty gritty information and you have to know what you are buying.

JK

2.0 out of 5 stars Short life span, December 9, 2011
We bought this model last year on special pricing, and exactly one year to the day the picture stopped working. Fortunately I registered the TV and called immediately. We were given the option to get it fixed locally (parts and labor paid for by Philips) or get a replacement shipped to us. We opted for the replacement (refurbished) and was told it would be delivered within a week or so. After a week, we received a call that our model is not available and we were given the option of another model, which we agreed to. The other model is slightly newer but has a slower refresh rate (60 vs 120). Now it will be another 5-10 business days for this one to arrive. I'm glad this TV died within the warranty, but who would expect a $550 TV to die in a year? Poor quality in my mind. I will go for a Samsung next time.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pros & Cons., March 9, 2011
Pros:

The Picture and video quality is great!
The sound is great!
It has and energy saving Mode.

Cons:

Even with the firmware update, the amount of input lag is still unacceptable. Moreover, when the 120hz refresh rate is turned on, this particular t.v. produces ghosting and blur artifacts; especially during fast or even normal movement in video. Evidently, this t.v. doesn't have any image blur reduction technology. I suppose the 120hz refresh rate only reduces motion jitter. Furthermore, this t.v. doesn't have a VGA input!!!

If you're buying this t.v. because of the 120hz refresh rate and/or you plan on playing video games on it, i don't recommend purchasing this T.V. You'll be sorely disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV so far, December 15, 2010
I bought this TV a few months back, so far I've had no problems, the previous TV I owned was a 32" RCA, huge upgrade for me. It looks great playing my ps3 on as well. Really the only thing I find to be a small problem is the sound. I find myself sometimes having to keep turning the volume up and down. But, anywho I recommend this to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality., June 16, 2012
Had tv for 14 monthes- then no picture. Phillips offered a refurbushed one for $400 with a 90 day warrenty. junk is junk- never purchase a Phillips product- planned obsolesence at it's best.Philips 40PFL3705D/F7 40-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV, Black

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›